Which bible

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
oreja80
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Which bible

Post by oreja80 »

Hey,

I've never read the bible, and there seem to be different versions. Which one should I read? I would only be able to read in English, Spanish or French.

Thanks for any pointers.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Which bible

Post by PaulSacramento »

For most people the NIV or the NRSV is just fine, though some prefer the ESV.
All translations have their issues and bias and there is no one "perfect" translation.
The Message bible is a good one for some people to get the right contemporary view of things.
You can read almost all the versions online and then decide which one you like bets before you purchase it.
www.bible.logos.com
Is a good place to start.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Depends on several things, but in general, any of the modern translations should be sufficient if you're wanting to become familiar with the Bible.

The New Living Translation (NLT) is one that I like because it reads fairly easily in English. The Message is a controversial (to some) translation (some call it a paraphrase) which really stretches the literal translation in order to try to put the message itself into what is called "dynamic equivilence" or the underlying message with culture and idioms created in English to make it like what the original audience would have understood in Greek. I find it an interesting contrast (and I can read it to some extent in the orginal Greek when I compare).

I'd suggest that you not just try to start in Genesis and read all the way through. Not many people succeed doing that. Perhaps find a schedule to read the Bible in a year which takes you around the OT and NT so you're not just sledding through some of the more difficult parts.

Again the version, depends a little of what you're looking for .... Tell me some more of what you're looking for and maybe I or others can answer you more specifically.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
oreja80
Newbie Member

Post by oreja80 »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the initial pointers. I suppose I would be looking for the one that is mostly considered the standard. It could be the one that has the most readers maybe... I'm not sure. Are the NLT, ESV, NIV and NSRV versions very different? Which one is used for example in mass? Or does it depend on the particular church?

To answer the question posted, my main aim is to read it because I never have and I can't have an opinion on what is in there for the same reason. However, it may be then that I need to read several of them and compare them. The logos website is really good, but I'm not very fond of reading on line. So if you had to suggest one to be the first purchase, which one would it be?

Cheers.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I would suggest you go with the NIV, although other versions are good too. the main difference mostly is the use of vocab, some use modern some traditional, some a mixture. the thematic elements of course remain the same and on that there is no difference at all.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Most of the modern English versions are pretty similar. The difference has to do withwhat reading level is striven for and in some isolated instances it might have some influence as to what the background is. The NIV is the most used overall in the Protestant world and it's a fine translation. If I were to recommend one it would be the NLT for overall ease of use.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It also matters of you want a bible that includes certain books not included in the basic protestant ones.
The New Jerusalem Bible has those.
I myself have a few of them ( ESV, NIV, Message, NRSV, NASB, NJB) and a couple of interlinears.
A good bible for studying is one that shows the different takes and versions of the passages ( some verses are different in some bibles because of the different versions in the manuscripts and codexes that were/are available).
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

My advice
A study of the English language actually reveals that it is fragmenting and breaking down. Not evolving but devolving. Some of the newer versions reflect this reality. So, I recommend (if reading English) to take the most traditional English version and read it in companion with a more modern translation such as the NIV, NLV or NASB.
What you will find is that the NLV is very readable. But I also find that much is lost in this translation. Reading the traditional version will help one to recognize biblical terminology, such as propitiation.

Example: 1 John 2:2
-And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (KJV)
-He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. (NIV)
-He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world. (NLV)
-Él es el sacrificio por el perdón de[a] nuestros pecados, y no sólo por los nuestros sino por los de todo el mundo. (Spanish NIV)

You can do this on-line for free. In fact, http://www.biblegateway.com will give you access to all these versions and translations in Spanish and French.
Last edited by jlay on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
oreja80
Newbie Member

Post by oreja80 »

Thanks very much guys. I think I will start with the NIV and take it from there.

Cheers.