Judas Iscariot, did he hang himself?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
CeT-To
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Judas Iscariot, did he hang himself?

Post by CeT-To »

Hey guys i came across this[Matthew 27:5] which is considerately different to this [Acts 1:18]. Anybody know which one is correct and why does it have different accounts?

God bless!

Francesco.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Judas Iscariot, did he hang himself?

Post by Kurieuo »

CeT-To wrote:Hey guys i came across this[Matthew 27:5] which is considerately different to this [Acts 1:18]. Anybody know which one is correct and why does it have different accounts?

God bless!

Francesco.
Hung himself from a branch on a tree over a cliff. Rope cut, body falls and bursts open on the rocks below.

OR

Hung himself. Cut down, thrown over a cliff (eg., into the valley of Hinnom), body bursts open.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

yeah that makes sense but what about the silver coins? in Matthew he threw it into the temple sanctuary and the other he bought a field with it.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

CeT-To wrote:yeah that makes sense but what about the silver coins? in Matthew he threw it into the temple sanctuary and the other he bought a field with it.
Well, the priests purchased the potter's field with Judas' money. (Matt 27:7)

So it could either be said that:

1) Judas' purchased the field with his "wages of iniquity" (if that refers to Judas' betrayal of Christ). Note it does not say Judas purchased the field with the money, but rather "wages of iniquity". Thus, the field was purchased via the priests who paid the money, but ultimately it was purchased through Judas' betrayal of Christ.

OR

2) Two different monies and fields are being referred to. E. W. Bullinger reasons this way. (read http://www.jba.gr/Articles/nkjv_jbaother3.htm)
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

I've heard this explained a number of different ways.. My belief if that Judas did not hang himself but committed suicide by putting a sword on the ground, blade up, then fell on it. Acts 1:18. In Matthew 27:5 the Greek word for hang "apanchomai" can also mean "choked up." So Judas didn't really hang himself but was choked up in grief. So much that he killed himself by sword later in a field.

Committing suicide by sword was common in the OT times.. Consider Saul..

1 Samuel 31:4 "Saul said to his armor-bearer, “Draw your sword and run me through, or these uncircumcised fellows will come and run me through and abuse me. But his armor-bearer was terrified and would not do it; so Saul took his own sword and fell on it."

Either way, he DID commit suicide..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Yeah you guy are right :) thanks!

Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

CeT-To wrote:Yeah you guy are right :) thanks!
Trying our best... ;)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8