question about climate change and the Bible

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
MyPetWorm
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: question about climate change and the Bible

Post by MyPetWorm »

This is my thought on climate change -

20 years ago, the Ice Age was coming. We were all going to Freeze to death as the world froze over. But statistics stopped cooling and starting heating, thus...
10 years ago, is was Global Warming. The world was heating up and we were all going to burn to death. But statisics started cooling again, thus...
It's now Climate Change.

I know it didn't happen exactly like this, but it did change in that order - Ice age, Global warming and now Climate change. There were, are, and always be what I call Flat Earthers. As we know, people used to believe that if you walked/sailed too far, you'd fall off the edge. These same people still exist - they just now believe that the climate is going to kill us. If we ever end up proving this won't happen, then they'll convince us that something else is going to happen.
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

Well actually globally the climate has been cooling for the last decade.(only very slightly)

However that doesn't mean that a combination of effects will eventually compensate for the cooling and the world will begin to warm some more. However I do not think that we should worry to much, sure there might be some calamity...but hey we manage to pull through. :ewink:
Adapted

Post by Adapted »

DannyM wrote:Really? I do not mean to be flippant, but can you offer me any links to show that the world climate is heating up to any significant degree right now? Or are you possibly getting carried away with the quaisi-science that we in the UK are rapidly becoming immune to?
Seriously? I've been lurking here a while, and, while I see plenty of interesting, thought-provoking comments from many obviously intelligent people, I also see some worrying (for the sake of the Earth and all who inhabit her) comments posted by people blinded by faith.
DannyM wrote:Again, I am asking you for the data to show that the world is warming up. Then I will produce.
DannyM, you post here quite a lot, and this seems to be your favourite line of defence: "Prove XYZ to me, then I'll grace your question with a response." Have you been living under a rock? The evidence for global warming (a.k.a. climate change, for ######) is overwhelming. [1]
DannyM wrote:I wouldn't put any stock in NASA. In fact I wouldn't put any stock in any reputable organisation.
Sadly, I believe this is probably true. Instead, you invest blind faith in fairy tales.
DannyM wrote:Never heard of denmark, Sorry.
Sadly, I believe this, too.

I'm far from being a fundamentalist Christian (most of the Bible is, from an objective point of view, clearly fictitious), although I do believe in a higher being. Please, could somebody tell me why it is that (particularly) fundamentalist Christians find it necessary to (continuously unsuccessfully) undermine science on every possible occasion? Is it that they're so scared that they're about to lose their weak grip on their literal interpretation of the Bible that their only form of defence is a constant offence? I just don't get it! Science is never going to disprove God's existence, so why worry?

[1] The same goes for various other facts the fundamentalists love to (again, unsuccessfully) refute. (Evolution is the obvious example. It baffles me that people waste their time arguing for creationism when the evidence for evolution is so overwhelming.)
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

How do you do, Adapted?
DannyM wrote:Really? I do not mean to be flippant, but can you offer me any links to show that the world climate is heating up to any significant degree right now? Or are you possibly getting carried away with the quaisi-science that we in the UK are rapidly becoming immune to?
Adapted wrote:Seriously? I've been lurking here a while, and, while I see plenty of interesting, thought-provoking comments from many obviously intelligent people, I also see some worrying (for the sake of the Earth and all who inhabit her) comments posted by people blinded by faith.
Please elaborate.
DannyM wrote:Again, I am asking you for the data to show that the world is warming up. Then I will produce.
Adapted wrote:DannyM, you post here quite a lot, and this seems to be your favourite line of defence: "Prove XYZ to me, then I'll grace your question with a response." Have you been living under a rock? The evidence for global warming (a.k.a. climate change, for pussies) is overwhelming. [1]
And you blatantly fail to provide any evidence. This is quite funny. I do hope our relationship develops from here.
DannyM wrote:I wouldn't put any stock in NASA. In fact I wouldn't put any stock in any reputable organisation.
Adapted wrote:Sadly, I believe this is probably true. Instead, you invest blind faith in fairy tales.
Again, just words and noise with nothing to substantiate anything you are actually saying.
Adapted wrote:Sadly, I believe this, too.
I fear you failed to see the 'pseudo-snotty' tone to my comment.
Adapted wrote:[I'm far from being a fundamentalist Christian (most of the Bible is, from an objective point of view, clearly fictitious), although I do believe in a higher being. Please, could somebody tell me why it is that (particularly) fundamentalist Christians find it necessary to (continuously unsuccessfully) undermine science on every possible occasion? Is it that they're so scared that they're about to lose their weak grip on their literal interpretation of the Bible that their only form of defence is a constant offence? I just don't get it! Science is never going to disprove God's existence, so why worry?
I'm pro-science. What is your point?
Adapted wrote:[1] The same goes for various other facts the fundamentalists love to (again, unsuccessfully) refute. (Evolution is the obvious example. It baffles me that people waste their time arguing for creationism when the evidence for evolution is so overwhelming.)
What is creationism?

Kindest Regards
Danny
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Adapted wrote:
Seriously? I've been lurking here a while, and, while I see plenty of interesting, thought-provoking comments from many obviously intelligent people, I also see some worrying (for the sake of the Earth and all who inhabit her) comments posted by people blinded by faith.
DannyM, you post here quite a lot, and this seems to be your favourite line of defence: "Prove XYZ to me, then I'll grace your question with a response." Have you been living under a rock? The evidence for global warming (a.k.a. climate change, for pussies) is overwhelming. [1]
Sadly, I believe this is probably true. Instead, you invest blind faith in fairy tales.

I'm far from being a fundamentalist Christian (most of the Bible is, from an objective point of view, clearly fictitious), although I do believe in a higher being. Please, could somebody tell me why it is that (particularly) fundamentalist Christians find it necessary to (continuously unsuccessfully) undermine science on every possible occasion? Is it that they're so scared that they're about to lose their weak grip on their literal interpretation of the Bible that their only form of defence is a constant offence? I just don't get it! Science is never going to disprove God's existence, so why worry?

[1] The same goes for various other facts the fundamentalists love to (again, unsuccessfully) refute. (Evolution is the obvious example. It baffles me that people waste their time arguing for creationism when the evidence for evolution is so overwhelming.)
I vote we ban him before he converts us Christians. If I read another of his posts, I may become an athiest. His intelligent responses overwhelm my feeble, inferior, God believing mind.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
August
Old School

Post by August »

Have you been living under a rock? The evidence for global warming (a.k.a. climate change, for pussies) is overwhelming. [1]
You mean the data that was shown recently to have been tampered with? The data from the University of East Anglia that Al Gore and the UN Committee on Climate change assumed to be accurate?

The evidence is tenuous at best, and only overwhelming if you disregard all the opposing data.
I'm far from being a fundamentalist Christian (most of the Bible is, from an objective point of view, clearly fictitious), although I do believe in a higher being.
Please explain "objective point of view". How did you determine that it was objective? Please explain how that leads you to "clearly fictitious". Also, what higer being do you believe in? What are the characteristics of this higher being? How did you come to know them?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

[qumyote="RickD"]
Adapted wrote:
DannyM, you post here quite a lot, and this seems to be your favourite line of defence: "Prove XYZ to me, then I'll grace your question with a response." Have you been living under a rock? The evidence for global warming (a.k.a. climate change, for pussies) is overwhelming. [1]

I vote we ban him before he converts us Christians. If I read another of his posts, I may become an athiest. His intelligent responses overwhelm my feeble, inferior, God believing mind.[/quote]

Now Rick, my friend, I know you're being ironic with this comment. You are far too intelligent to let this drivel affect your faith :)

If you can ignore my drivel, then you can ignore this!
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Adapted wrote: you invest blind faith in fairy tales.
While I commend your blunt honesty, I would rather you show a tincy bit more respect. They may be a bit nuts, but sure aren't we all in a way?

Ps. The university of east Anglian Scientiests where under pressure and holed up, frightened(but not because they was doing anything wrnog) If you lived in Europe you would know more of the story. But seeing how your knowledge of geography is so small that you know not where the countries lie and what ways they affect eachother, this is something to be scared of.

The worst curse possible is Ignorance, Wisdom and Know-how is the Cure.

Pps. Al Gore is immoral, he is profiteering with fear-mongering.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Kristoffer wrote:
Adapted wrote: you invest blind faith in fairy tales.
While I commend your blunt honesty, I would rather you show a tincy bit more respect. They may be a bit nuts, but sure aren't we all in a way?

Ps. The university of east Anglian Scientiests where under pressure and holed up, frightened(but not because they was doing anything wrnog) If you lived in Europe you would know more of the story. But seeing how your knowledge of geography is so small that you know not where the countries lie and what ways they affect eachother, this is something to be scared of.

The worst curse possible is Ignorance, Wisdom and Know-how is the Cure.

Pps. Al Gore is immoral, he is profiteering with fear-mongering.
"A bit nuts" ? Show us how by elaborating on your hollow comment...
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

A bit nuts: where a body of people assert that they are the product of impersonal, accidental, blind chemical reactions, filled with intelligent and rational mind, all as a result from natural, accidental circumstances*-

The dictionary of DannyM.

* Oh, and they call this "evolution", which has no real time limit, just an unspecified given amount of time... Sweet... And empiricism can go hang for this worldview... 8)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Evolution is and has been Empirically verified, So why do you need to call that a "bit nuts" a "bit nuts" is not a insult, it is in fact the opposite of one. Who on earth would like to be totally sane, it would remove some of the mystery and fun in life.

Of course Evolution Resulted in us, But it is not random. Natural Selection is NOT random and COULD be entirely under god's control, in very subtle ways like; oooh a meteor here, some sun spots there... a bit of frost over there! OK not very subtle at all. But the point is, Evolution is a FACT, going against that Just makes me want to not even bother with you.

Sorry if this affects our friendhip
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Kristoffer wrote:Evolution is and has been Empirically verified, So why do you need to call that a "bit nuts" a "bit nuts" is not a insult, it is in fact the opposite of one. Who on earth would like to be totally sane, it would remove some of the mystery and fun in life.

Of course Evolution Resulted in us, But it is not random. Natural Selection is NOT random and COULD be entirely under god's control, in very subtle ways like; oooh a meteor here, some sun spots there... a bit of frost over there! OK not very subtle at all. But the point is, Evolution is a FACT, going against that Just makes me want to not even bother with you.

Sorry if this affects our friendhip
Oh dear ... Back to the drawing board, methinks ... :lol:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Good idea, back to draw up a Version of ID that actually makes logical sense and explains the Evidence in a verifiable why that defies Evolution. Well good luck, I do hope you have or can get the correct qualifications to make that assessment and I wish that you do well.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Kristoffer wrote:Good idea, back to draw up a Version of ID that actually makes logical sense and explains the Evidence in a verifiable why that defies Evolution. Well good luck, I do hope you have or can get the correct qualifications to make that assessment and I wish that you do well.
My lord you are all over the place, Kris! Please can you explain to me what on earth it is you are on about?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Just looked at Adaptive's profile. He/She is a Christian, yet does not believe in 'creationism'. Is this interesting, or am I missing something?

Also, can we define creationism? The way I see it, even if the universe was made by blind and purposeless forces, then it was still created...it was still made.

Can we please put to bed the big bad bogey man of creationism? Can we convince the atheist that he doesn't need to hide behind his front door at the mention of the dreaded 'c' word?

Creationism's Mike Myers is not about to stalk your neighbourhood...It's OK, you can come out now... :esurprised:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia