The Christmas Star

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Christmas Star

Post by Gman »

I thought I would show off my Christmas Star again this year. This excerpt is from the Griffith Observatory...

Many think that the Christmas Star was a meteor, a comet, or a supernova.. However, if we suppose that the “star” actually referred to the planets, the situation is less problematic. Here is a "possible" solution for the Christmas Star...

"The movements and groupings of planets in the night sky were of exceeding interest to astronomers and were closely tracked around the world. Historical records and modern-day computer simulations indicate that there was a rare series of planetary groupings, also known as conjunctions, during the years 3 B.C. and 2 B.C."

"Between September of 3 B.C. and June of 2 B.C., Jupiter passed by the star Regulus in Leo, reversed itself and passed it again, then turned back and passed the star a third time. This was another remarkable event, since the magi considered Jupiter the kingly planet and regarded Regulus as the “king star.”

"The crowning touch came on June 17, when Jupiter seemed to approach so close to Venus that, without binoculars, they would have looked like a single star over Bethlehem, (hence the Christmas star)."

Here is a good presentation of it from the astronomer "John Mosley" at the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. Enjoy.. And merry Christmas..

//msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Interactives/Technology_Science/Space/star.swf

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Re: The Christmas Star

Post by zoegirl »

Neato
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:Neato
Is that all... Just neato? y#-o

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Forgive my underwhelming response. :esurprised: :wave: :amen:

I was actually sitting back, thinking all sorts of "how cool is that". That is pretty neat, and I appreciate the pic as well. (I wish I was better at the constellations, I can recognize Orion and the big dipper and a few stars and planets and that's it)
What a wonderful thought to imagine the maji trying to figure that out!

It is rather awesome when we can look back at history and affirm our beliefs.

(Anybody remember a little book that discusses the constellations and their meanings relative to the Bible? It discusses how the constellations show the gospel message)

Merry Christmas, Gman, and a Happy New Year
y:p
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Thanks Zoe... I didn't mean to put you on the spot there. I was kind of horsing around...

About the stars. I believe God wrote out his salvation in the stars as a witness to Christ, nothing really more than that...

Anyways... Take care and God bless. And happy holidays to you too. :)

zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

it is also a good slideshow
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Is the "Christmas star" you are referring to here the one that appeared over Christ so that the wise men could find Him?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jenwat3 wrote:Is the "Christmas star" you are referring to here the one that appeared over Christ so that the wise men could find Him?
Yes (hint: look at the link :wink:).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Ok! My thoughts on the "Christmas star" was that it was actually an angel, not really a "star.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jenwat3 wrote:Ok! My thoughts on the "Christmas star" was that it was actually an angel, not really a "star.
Yes but it appears that only the Magi witnessed his star, rising in the east... Matthew 2:2. The Magi themselves were ancient astronomers of the stars. They were on the continual hunt looking for celestial signs involving the sun, moon, planets and the stars in the heavens...

Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Verrrry cooool!. Thanks Gman, I had to work evening turn on Christmas Eve and you just made my day.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

I just watched The Nativity Story with the family. It recounts pretty much the same thing wrt the Magi and the star of Bethlehem as your link Gman. Merry Christmas to all (who celebrate it :wink:).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Very good, Byblos! :ewink: One question, though. Why is it called a "Christmas star", since it didn't appear when He was born? Or did it appear when He was born, but it simply took the wise men 2 years to find Him? :econfused:
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jenwat3 wrote:Why is it called a "Christmas star", since it didn't appear when He was born? Or did it appear when He was born, but it simply took the wise men 2 years to find Him? :econfused:
I know it as the star of Bethlehem. In the movie it seems the Magi predicted the appearance of the star (the alignment of the planets) and set out on their journey long before it actually did appear. The star (planets' perfect alignment that made them appear as though they were one big star) lead them from Jerusalem to Bethlehem just about when Mary gave birth. Whether that actually happened or the Magi appeared long after Jesus was born and Matthew just blended it all in there I really don't know (nor does it actually matter to me).

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Thanks guys for the previous notes..
Byblos wrote:Whether that actually happened or the Magi appeared long after Jesus was born and Matthew just blended it all in there I really don't know (nor does it actually matter to me).
Yes.. Good point John. We really don't have an accurate date using these star patterns either although they do speculate around 3 B.C. it happened. With all these evidences considered, it shows that Jesus was already a few months old when the Magi presented their gifts to him.

Actually a more accurate date could be used if we go by the constellation Virgo with the sun in her mid-body (during the evening) and the moon appearing below her feet as depicted in Revelation 12: 1-5.

But again, I will always celebrate Christ's birth on Dec 25th, it makes no difference to me either.