Movies

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Movies

Post by zoegirl »

YEs, I saw the Passion.
I brought an entire box of kleenex and started crying at the Garden scene.

In retrospect, though, I was not happy with a lot of the extra imagery Gibson brought into it.

Would I see it again....don't know. Am I glad I saw it? Yeah, I think at some level, we need to see how Christ suffered for us and at what cost.

Life of Brian, have only seen bits and pieces of it. Thought "The Holy Grail" was much funnier. (she turned me into a newt!)

Absolutely agree with you on horror films...ugly, evil, films.
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

I'm not Catholic, but this movie certainly impressed in me a strong distinction between good and evil, right and wrong...as well as a reminder of the continuing epic battle between the things of God and the things of The Devil.
A good reminder indeed!
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

May I recommend Flyboy, a story about Americans who joined the Escadrille Lafayette during WW I - became pilots - and fought for France.

Rated PG 13: a bit of gore (plane crashes & dead bodies), some obcene language when pilots see dead comrades...a wee bit of sexual innuendo when the pilots of a downed aircraft are rescued by the...uh... "employees" of a brothel. Other than this, a good movie!

For history buffs, there is history; for aviation buffs, there are planes; there's a Bible-reading pilot, too! ...and if you're a girl, there's even a love story!!!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

What, guys can't enjoy a love story?! :shock: :lol: :wink:
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Hi all

My favourite movies are

Lord of the Rings
Shawshank Redemption

I have a real weakness for horror movies, but i am being turn off more by needless explotative violence - like films like Hostel or saw - I refuse to watch them.

I like no-brain films as well when the mood suits me - which is why i enjoyed transformers.

I am a big fan of the old biblical epics - Jesus of Nazareth, El Cid, Ten comandments, Ben Hur, The Robe.

I really like films that make you think about our religion, which is why I liked Constantine, Dogma, Stigmata, The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

That is my two cents anyway.

God Bless

Silvertusk
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Enigma7457 »

zoegirl wrote:What, guys can't enjoy a love story?!
No, we can't. It's a written law somewhere. In fact, the only time we're even allowed to watch a love story is if we're with a woman. (I can't remember exactly, but i'm pretty sure that law is the bible, probably deuteronomy :lol: )
silvertusk wrote:Hi all

My favourite movies are

Lord of the Rings
Shawshank Redemption
Wow, great movies. I loved the Shawshank Redemption.
silvertusk wrote:I really like films that make you think about our religion, which is why I liked Constantine, Dogma, Stigmata, The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
Constantine was a great movie. Great, great ending. Never saw Dogma or Stigmata.
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

I like horror movies, but I prefer ones with a well-developed story over ones that are just "gore for gore's sake". I don't watch them too often though, they have a tendency to make me paranoid for a few days. :D
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Enigma7457 wrote:
No, we can't. It's a written law somewhere. In fact, the only time we're even allowed to watch a love story is if we're with a woman. (I can't remember exactly, but i'm pretty sure that law is the bible, probably deuteronomy :lol: )
Most Women will not know about this Law ;) I thought it was in Leviticus or maybe between all of those names in Chronicles????
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

bizzt wrote:
Enigma7457 wrote:
Most Women will not know about this Law ;) I thought it was in Leviticus or maybe between all of those names in Chronicles????
:lol: :lol:

I can't stand the sappy love stories, but I do love a Jane Austen (but not the latest one with Kiera Knightly, too sappy, Jane Austen should be witty and fun) or some of the funnier chick flicks.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 days was pretty funny (the basketball game scenes were funny and the bathroom cabinet scence was priceless)

Absolutely can't stand Lifetime channel for women....do they really think we like all that stuff?? Do other women like that stuff?!? Much prefer the Sci-Fi channel....give me star-gate or Dr. Who any day

The Lord of the Rings movies were cool (the books were better :D :lol: ) :lol:

LOved the movie version of "The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe"....
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

zoegirl wrote: Much prefer the Sci-Fi channel....give me star-gate or Dr. Who any day
Stargate SG-1 is awesome. I've recently started watching my dad's DVDs of the series. :) :) :)
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

zoegirl wrote:
LOved the movie version of "The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe"....
Yeah it was pretty good. I wish it showed a little more about the coming about of the Witch.
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

bizzt wrote:Most Women will not know about this Law I thought it was in Leviticus or maybe between all of those names in Chronicles????
You're right, it was in leviticus.
zoegirl wrote:Absolutely can't stand Lifetime channel for women....do they really think we like all that stuff?? Do other women like that stuff?!?
My wife can sit in front of the tv and watch lifetime movies all day. And i mean all day.

Of course, i'm hiding in the other room during this time.
zoegirl wrote:Much prefer the Sci-Fi channel....give me star-gate or Dr. Who any day
Gotta say, never really watched stargate. I love star wars (only wish someone other than george lucas had come up with it).

It's all relative, i guess. I can't watch that stuff (lifetime movies), but she is completely in shock that i can sit and watch football from 12:00 to 11:30 on sundays (that's right, eleven and a half straight hours) only to watch it again on monday (gotta love football :lol: {Speaking of which, go jags 8) })
zoegirl wrote:The Lord of the Rings movies were cool (the books were better )
Books were definately more in-depth. Better...maybe. I liked the movies a lot. I tried one time to sit and watch them all in a row and lost a whole weekend (i fell asleep a lot and had to keep rewinding).
FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

It's all relative, i guess. I can't watch that stuff (lifetime movies), but she is completely in shock that i can sit and watch football from 12:00 to 11:30 on sundays (that's right, eleven and a half straight hours) only to watch it again on monday (gotta love football {Speaking of which, go jags })
I think there is a 12 step group for that. :lol:

btw...I'm not ashamed to say that I actually get into some of the lifetime movies sometimes... :shock:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

FFC wrote:I think there is a 12 step group for that.
I bet there is. Never gonna catch me there, but i'm sure such a place exists.

Besides, why would i want to stop? 8)
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

FFC wrote:
It's all relative, i guess. I can't watch that stuff (lifetime movies), but she is completely in shock that i can sit and watch football from 12:00 to 11:30 on sundays (that's right, eleven and a half straight hours) only to watch it again on monday (gotta love football {Speaking of which, go jags })
I think there is a 12 step group for that. :lol:

btw...I'm not ashamed to say that I actually get into some of the lifetime movies sometimes... :shock:
All right, I guess I watched *some* of their movies....I certainly am a fool for the romance movies. :lol:

Sometimes their plot lines are over the top soap opera. The woman doesn't simply fall in love OR the woman isn't just diagnosed with cancer, but in the lifetime movies she falls in love while she is married, then when is diagnosed with cancer she goes through the divorce while her kids are on drugs and has to struggle through her chemo while getting married and fixing her family troubles. All while crying with her friends and having girl time. Can't handle that much drama!!! I get that by listening to my students!! :lol:

Love to watch the British shows on my PBS station.
I started watching "All creatures Great and Small" in addition to the older Britcoms on my PBS station and renewed my love for British TV shows and British sitcoms. Anybody else like the Britcoms? Wish I got BBC America on my Cable. Love, Love, love the british wit.