What does god have to say about prescription drugs ?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Deborah
Christian: No

What does god have to say about prescription drugs ?

Post by Deborah »

I am on Prescription drugs for depression. At this time it is still too early to cope without them.
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, fighting's, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies, and Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and the unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the Lake burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. Both condemn sorcery, and that can have to do with potions and that can have to do with drugs. Many other places in the bible support they fact that potions are a no no.
Rev 22:15 But outside are the dogs, and the sorcerers, and the fornicators, and the murderers, and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and makes a lie.
Exo 7:11 Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers. And they, the magicians of Egypt, did the same with their secret ar
Exo 7:22 And the magicians of Egypt did so with their secret arts. And Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and he did not listen to them, as Jehovah had said.
Exo 8:7 And the magicians did so with their secret arts, and brought up frogs upon the land of Egypt.
Isa 47:8 Now then hear this, O pleasure seeker, who lives carelessly; who says in her heart, I am, and none else is; I shall not sit as a widow, nor shall I know the loss of children.
Isa 47:12 Stand now with your spells, and with the multitude of your sorceries, in which you have wearied yourself since your youth. Perhaps you will be able to profit; perhaps you may bring terror.

Does God deem it sinfull to take Prescription drugs?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Medicine isn't sorcery. At any rate, biblical sorcery usually means invoking demonic forces,s o unless you recite verses from the Satanic Bible while taking your pill, you should be safe. ;)
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

It will come down to where you ultimately know your source of physical and mental well being is (hopefully Jesus). As long as it does not lead to an addiction, I guess drugs are a rational solution. It would be good, as far as possible, to know how each drug you take would function in the body.
Maranatha!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Medicine is different from occult practices, the latter of which being what is forbidden in Scripture. Depression is annoying, because unlike cancer, it has no tangible effects one can evidentally see. It cloaks itself as something entirely psychological, when infact it has very physical attributes. Depression can be caused due to a lack of the right vitamins, diseases such as celiacs (something I only became aware of recently, which seems to often go undiagnosed), tragic experiences, chemical imbalances and so forth. Therefore it seems very appropriate to treat these things with medicine, whether it be a pill, dietry changes or whatever. We should always look after the bodies God has given us.

However, as any doctor should tell you, anti-depressants should be used not as a solution, but as a short-term solution to diagnosing the real problem. Judging from your own history, it could be very likely your depression is a result of your body using all its energy to fight the cancer you had. Then the psychological factors on top of the physical add even further to the way you feel. My conclusion is that you should in no way feel guilty about using anti-depressants.

Now there is a joke that came to mind that I think is appropriate here, and perhaps you've heard it before, but I searched for it and found it so I'll state it here:
  • A man was caught in a flood. As he sat on the roof of his house, two men came by in a boat to rescue him, but he waved them away shouting "The Lord will save me". An hour later another boat came along. Again the man said "The Lord will save me". Eventually a helicopter arrived but the man insisted "The Lord will save me". Unfortunately the man drowned. At the gates of heaven he asked St Peter "why didn't The Lord save me? St Peter replied.... "for crying out loud, He sent two boats and a helicopter. What more do you want?!" —http://www.sandybaptist.org.uk/jokes/
Don't judge yourself into thinking you're not depending on God because you take some medication (which I've assumed is the issue that lays behind your question?). Such is a lie, and it something that Satan, which in Hebrew also means "accuser," would like you to think. It is my opinion, that not to try the most obvious option God places in your path, would be as foolish as the person who passed up two boats and a helicopter.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)