Jesus just a re-run?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
aprilsmapril
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Jesus just a re-run?

Post by aprilsmapril »

I read on another site where a man was trying to disprove the new testament by saying that the "Jesus" story existed thousands of years before the birth of Christ in different mythologies.

Is this true? If so, where could you study the validity of such a claim.

Also, is it a possibility that since the old testament has been around for so long that other cultures took the prophecies and wrote their own "Jesus" story?

What do you think?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

http://tektonics.org/copycat/mithra.html

Some claim Mithra is the archetype and Jesus is a copy of him.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Jesus just a re-run?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

aprilsmapril wrote:I read on another site where a man was trying to disprove the new testament by saying that the "Jesus" story existed thousands of years before the birth of Christ in different mythologies.

Also, is it a possibility that since the old testament has been around for so long that other cultures took the prophecies and wrote their own "Jesus" story?

What do you think?
http://www.christian-thinktank.com/copycatwho1.html

The above is an excellent link, linked from our main board that addresses many of these alleged similar stories.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Jesus just a re-run?

Post by Silvertusk »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
aprilsmapril wrote:I read on another site where a man was trying to disprove the new testament by saying that the "Jesus" story existed thousands of years before the birth of Christ in different mythologies.

What do you think?

The above is an excellent link, linked from our main board that addresses many of these alleged similar stories.
Not only that - we have the external sources outside the Bible, written about Jesus that confirms he existed and was worshiped as a God.

All this makes me wonder - why is Christianity the most attacked religion on this planet? Why are so many people so desperate for it not to be true? I really do not get it. Funnily enough - Jeus predicted all this anyway.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
aprilsmapril
Newbie Member

Post by aprilsmapril »

All this makes me wonder - why is Christianity the most attacked religion on this planet? Why are so many people so desperate for it not to be true? I really do not get it.
:wink: 'Cause it's the only one that truly threatens Satan.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

aprilsmapril wrote:
All this makes me wonder - why is Christianity the most attacked religion on this planet? Why are so many people so desperate for it not to be true? I really do not get it.
:wink: 'Cause it's the only one that truly threatens Satan.
BINGO!
aprilsmapril
Newbie Member

Post by aprilsmapril »

Not only that - we have the external sources outside the Bible, written about Jesus that confirms he existed and was worshiped as a God.
Just out of curiousity -- what sources? Do you have links? I'd be very interested to read them.

Thanks!
aprilsmapril
Newbie Member

Post by aprilsmapril »

Thank you for this -- I'm really enjoying reading this. I think the problem with Christians in general is that we tend to shy away from learning about mythology and the like because it's "bad", so to speak. I think learning about all of this makes it easier for us to be strong in our own beliefs.

Do you have any links discussing the number 12 being so significant in the Bible (12 tribes, 12 disciples, etc...) and the zodiac?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

aprilsmapril wrote:

Thank you for this -- I'm really enjoying reading this. I think the problem with Christians in general is that we tend to shy away from learning about mythology and the like because it's "bad", so to speak. I think learning about all of this makes it easier for us to be strong in our own beliefs.

Do you have any links discussing the number 12 being so significant in the Bible (12 tribes, 12 disciples, etc...) and the zodiac?
I don't have any offhand.

While there is numerological significance in portions of the Bible there are many who superimpose a form of "numerology" upon the Bible that just isn't found there.

Zodiac and astrology is not a major theme of the Bible. The Magi on Matthew who came to see the Christ Child (who may have been as old as 2 years at the time) were likely Zoroastrians. There are some references as well that historically refer to the practise in the OT but usually neutrally or negatively.

You might try googling. That's where I find a lot of my material and just learn to sift it and narrow the search to find what is useful. Just realize that just because something is on the internet doesn't make it authoritative. You have to determine what is relevant and credible.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Vash
Recognized Member

Post by Vash »

aprilsmapril wrote:
Just out of curiousity -- what sources? Do you have links? I'd be very interested to read them.

Thanks!
I don't know the exact sources that is being referred to above. However, it is pretty common knowledge that *someone* named Jesus existed back in those days and is similarily linked to the Jesus of the Christian faith.

The disputable thing is wether this Jesus is one in the same of the Jesus of the Bible. However, like I said, it's common knowledge that a similarily-described Jesus existed at that time, and was worshipped as a God.

Here's a link about something I found on it: http://doesgodexist.org/Phamplets/TheRe ... story.html

Also, Lee Strobel's book titled The Case for Christ examines the historical evidence of Jesus as well. So you can check that book out if you want.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

aprilsmapril wrote:

Thanks!
I refer to the works of the jewish historian Josephus and the roman historian Titus, Pliney and others. The are "hostile" sources that confirm the existance of Jesus, and that he wa crucified under Pilate and that he was worship as God by a bunch of people called "Christians"
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Silvertusk wrote:
aprilsmapril wrote:

Thanks!
I refer to the works of the jewish historian Josephus and the roman historian Titus, Pliney and others. The are "hostile" sources that confirm the existance of Jesus, and that he wa crucified under Pilate and that he was worship as God by a bunch of people called "Christians"
Who are these Christians you speak of? :wink:
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

bizzt wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
aprilsmapril wrote:

Thanks!
Who are these Christians you speak of? :wink:

Um..... i don't follow..sorry