Is the Name-it / Claim-it doctrine.. of God?!

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
authentic
Familiar Member

Is the Name-it / Claim-it doctrine.. of God?!

Post by authentic »

There is a popular and ever increasing doctrine that is spreading through out much of the church world known as the Word of Faith doctrine. They profess that, with enough faith, one could speak things into being. Example, if you are in need of money or a new job, then all you have to do i speak faith into your finances or into your new job. Or you may need to remove those demonic spirits from the bondage of poverty within your life, but you must have the anointing to do so. Along with this, pastors openly encourage the "sheep" to sow their seed into the ministry and they shall be rewarded with abundance or 100 fold in return. There is so much that goes into what is taught, and it is leading God's people away from humility, into covetousness. I wonder how you feel about this?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Re: Is the Name-it / Claim-it doctrine.. of God?!

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

authentic wrote:There is a popular and ever increasing doctrine that is spreading through out much of the church world known as the Word of Faith doctrine. They profess that, with enough faith, one could speak things into being. Example, if you are in need of money or a new job, then all you have to do i speak faith into your finances or into your new job. Or you may need to remove those demonic spirits from the bondage of poverty within your life, but you must have the anointing to do so. Along with this, pastors openly encourage the "sheep" to sow their seed into the ministry and they shall be rewarded with abundance or 100 fold in return. There is so much that goes into what is taught, and it is leading God's people away from humility, into covetousness. I wonder how you feel about this?
Do you actually beleive that the majority of churchgoers understands Christianity?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
authentic wrote:There is a popular and ever increasing doctrine that is spreading through out much of the church world known as the Word of Faith doctrine. They profess that, with enough faith, one could speak things into being. Example, if you are in need of money or a new job, then all you have to do i speak faith into your finances or into your new job. Or you may need to remove those demonic spirits from the bondage of poverty within your life, but you must have the anointing to do so. Along with this, pastors openly encourage the "sheep" to sow their seed into the ministry and they shall be rewarded with abundance or 100 fold in return. There is so much that goes into what is taught, and it is leading God's people away from humility, into covetousness. I wonder how you feel about this?
Do you actually beleive that the majority of churchgoers actually understand Christianity?
Nope
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
BGood wrote:Do you actually beleive that the majority of churchgoers actually understand Christianity?
Nope
Wow that was quick!

Do you go to church KMart?
Or did you just start attending?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I have gone...just not recently as I haven't gotten a ride. I don't think people have a full grasp of everything. I'm not saying they don't know anything...I just don't think people (including me of course) fully grasp it. Why each and every part is critical, how it all ties in, etc...because we a pastor talks...he talks about a small part of the Bible...and some things are tied in, but definately not a lot...but this is probably dependent on quality of pastor.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
authentic
Familiar Member

Post by authentic »

Well it should be common knowledge what we all lack some sort of knowledge in a particular area the scriptures. But my beef, is that, it seems to me that preachers prey on the fact that most church people neither read their bible, or understand enough to combact the lies that are being taught. Alot of it sounds good, but if you don't have the spirit of discernment, then you will quickly fall into their trap. How they get people is the same way Satan gets people, they use Subtlety. They preach some truth, enough to hype you up and make you feel good. Then in the mist of your "feeling good" they throw in a nugget about getting financially blessed. And tell me this, show me a person who wouldn't like to have money? Anyway, so now that they have that foundation laid, they can build slowly. This is how you have people that has gone bankrupt, lost their home, gave up rent money.... all because of the greed of the pastor and their own coveteous heart.
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Jam 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Mat 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Pro 13:7 There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches.

Pro 14:20 The poor is hated even of his own neighbor: but the rich hath many friends.

Mat 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Luk 6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
Luk 6:21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
Luk 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

2Co 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

"give us this day our daily bread" "deliver us from evil"

God knows our needs, and desires and will bless us as we bless others. Freely you have recieved and freely you should give.

God Bless!
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

IMHO - this is all scripture twisting to feed one's sin to believe sin is righteous.

Faith is not a force - it is a belief that leads to fidelity, loyalty, and obedience. A faith that realizes that Jesus Christ can and will live within a person and begin a grand adventure here and now and forever.

Too bad the WOF movement stains the cause of Christ so but again - wheat and chaff - tares and fruitful crop's - need separation by shaking.

God Bless!!
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Also read Luke 12:13-12:38

Luk 12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Knowing that the love of money is the very root of all evil, we should shun mammon and 'seek the kingdom of God' He knows are needs and desires.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Name it and claim it is not new.

I went to a Christian College where it was the centerpiece of ministry. The funny thing is I did a degree in Biblical Literature. They gave me the tools to understand that what characterized their ministry was in fact unscriptural.

Ironic, isn't it? ;)

There's some truth there, but it's been taken further and tailored to appeal to the flesh.