Sad News: Dr. Michael Heiser has died!

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Sad News: Dr. Michael Heiser has died!

Post by Philip »

For those of you who missed it - sadly, on February 20th, Dr. Michael Heiser lost his battle with Pancreatic cancer. And those of you who have long followed this forum know that Mike has often been quoted or his short videos or essays have been posted here. While I haven't always agreed with some parts of his views, I do know I'm a more knowledgeable Christian due to his scholarly input and insights. He always made you think and learn new things in the process. I had briefly interacted with him over emails, and as busy as he was, he was also gracious enough to have responded. He has been hugely important and his influence has been considerable across the Christian world and beyond. It's exciting to know that he's with the Lord now - probably peppering Him with questions, to learn what he got right and what he totally missed, LOL.

Here is his obituary: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituar ... r-11168525

And here is a great short tribute video, which also features Dr. Mike as he sums up the meaning of the Gospel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slLQUy6E_Po

And this is probably his last recorded Youtube video - he passed away about an hour before it was posted - as he was teaching to his last breaths!
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Sad News: Dr. Michael Heiser has died!

Post by Nessa »

Him and Charles Stanley get to take the trip together :twodancing: :beer:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nessa wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:35 pm Him and Charles Stanley get to take the trip together :twodancing: :beer:
Yes, Charles was also a giant of explaining Scripture. He packed so much info into a minute of talking, it was a bit like trying to get a sip of water from a firehose! Which is why video that can be re-watched is my favorite way of studying what he says.

BTW, Ness - did you guys get to see the solar eclipse down there?
bkudrle
Newbie Member

Post by bkudrle »

Yes, the Unseen Realm was a real eye-opener for me. Still processing it when I get the chance as there are still areas where there are so many aspects to consider.

Thanks for posting Dr. Heiser's last video also. It is one of the most beautiful presentations of what God wants that I think I have ever heard.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

“God wants family.”

Thank you Philip for sharing that tribute video.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Philip wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:36 am
Nessa wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:35 pm Him and Charles Stanley get to take the trip together :twodancing: :beer:
Yes, Charles was also a giant of explaining Scripture. He packed so much info into a minute of talking, it was a bit like trying to get a sip of water from a firehose! Which is why video that can be re-watched is my favorite way of studying what he says.

BTW, Ness - did you guys get to see the solar eclipse down there?
What solar eclipse? I guess that's your answer 😝
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nessa wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:34 am
What solar eclipse? I guess that's your answer 😝
Ah, maybe you need to quit watching so much TV - put the chips down, go outside, get some fresh air! :P

OK, there it is!

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I can't afford to eat chips for two reasons
1. My health
2. Hubby made redundant and no new job yet

Prayers would be appreciated :consent:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nessa wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:51 pm I can't afford to eat chips for two reasons
1. My health
2. Hubby made redundant and no new job yet

Prayers would be appreciated :consent:
I'm on it, Ness!

Hope nothing serious going on with your health?

BTW, I miss seeing you around here! :)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Nothing serious or life threateningly. Inflammation/pain and other great stuff linked to getting older etc.

How are you and your family?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ness, glad to hear nothing serious is going on.

With us, we're soon to be empty nesters - my youngest (19) is moving out in August. My oldest is now married and lives in California, but is currently stationed in the Middle East near Saudi Arabia. I'm retired but my wife still works (from home) - she's a programmer and works with colleagues all over the world.

My nephew, who lives in NZ, just moved from KeriKeri area all the way down to Wanganui. I think he likes the climate better there. I've always wanted to go to the mountains down there and on the south island, but that's a heck of a plane ride (not to mention, pretty expensive!).
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Guys, just had this feeling to hug you...

y>:D<
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Danielstymn
Newbie Member
Christian: No

The Return of the Old "gods" ...

Post by Danielstymn »

Could the resurgence of interest in ancient mythologies and deities be an indication of a fundamental shift in religious beliefs and a longing for a spiritual connection beyond monotheism? How can modern religions adapt to this changing landscape?
Philip
Site Owner

Re: The Return of the Old "gods" ...

Post by Philip »

Danielstymn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:35 pm Could the resurgence of interest in ancient mythologies and deities be an indication of a fundamental shift in religious beliefs and a longing for a spiritual connection beyond monotheism? How can modern religions adapt to this changing landscape?
From the perspective and teachings of Christianity, it doesn't matter what the various religions believe or teach, as wherever they assert a God other that the God of Christianity, or as their beliefs contradict the Bible's teachings, our God has revealed to us that ALL of these religions are false, encouraging deceptive - even dangerous - practices. The God of the Bible is eternal / has ALWAYS existed, and NEVER changes. He is perfectly ALL-knowing of EVERY detail of the past, present and future. He loves us and knows what is best for us (and also what is harmful). He is ALL-powerful and has created ALL things that have ever come into existence. His ways are perfect. He has no reason to change - as HE is the standard for man's conduct and moral beliefs (whether they follow them or not). So, the God of the Bible has NO reason to adapt to the changes of ANY culture, as HE sets the morals standard ALL cultures should follow!