Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham / Answers in Genesis' Divisive Ways

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham / Answers in Genesis' Divisive Ways

Post by Philip »

Most of you know that I don't get too caught up these days in the Creationist, YECs vs. OECs "time wars" which constantly are battling over the length of time of the Creation "days" referenced in Genesis. Young earth / universe creationists (YECS) insist the universe and earth are only in the thousands of years old, while old earth / universe creationists (OECs) believe these were created BILLIONS of years ago. Although I personally lean towards a Creation that is billions of years old - and I do so per various passages in the Bible AND per what modern science has revealed, nonetheless, I have YEC friends and respect all Christian's rights to hold that viewpoint. The authenticity of one's Christianity isn't based on such an issue - ONLY their relationship with Christ it! As for how OLD the Creation is or how long it took, as the Creator is an ETERNAL Being - well, while it's an interesting debate, it's simply WAY down on my list of important issues for Christians. These OEC vs. YEC arguments are often HIGHLY divisive as well as simply unnecessary, distracting, and often, outright damaging to the God's Church. While the time issue of the Creation days should merely be an interesting and civil discussion, frequently, it quickly spirals into serious arguments and animosity - which is where I have a problem with the topic.

But what anyone else believes about the age of the Creation doesn't bother me, as long as we respect each other's right to personal views on it. We might ALL be wrong in key ways about how God created. Whatever our views, we should ALL treat each other as respected followers of Christ. But leading young earth creationist Ken Ham and his organization Answers in Genesis (AIG) have a LONG history of demonizing Christians who harbor an old universe view, as they widely have asserted such Christians to be compromisers that don't truly believe what the Bible says in the Creation passages - including much of the Bible. Further, Ham and co. assert the main reason for OEC views has to do with the influence of the Darwinists and evolution - which is mostly absurd. While I personally don't believe in MACRO evolution. I most certainly DO believe Adam and Eve were real humans that fell into sin. I also believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God and take it VERY seriously - as do millions of my fellow OEC-leaning Christians. Ham further insists that the idea that the "days" of Creation were only believed to be long periods by key people in the Church after the influence of Darwin, having a desire to accommodate Darwinism. Ham and AIG have made a virtual idol out of their young earth creationist views and selective literalist interpretations of Creation passages.

Anyway, given the above, I really appreciate this enlightening short video by Dr. Gavin Ortlund, as he reveals the false assertions that Ken Ham and AIG have made about how and why many Christians have embraced an old-earth / old-universe view. He also looks at what key church leaders and thinkers actually thought about this Creation / age issue, well BEFORE the time of Darwin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL9t3O-1E7w
Philip
Site Owner

Re: Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham / Answers in Genesis' Divisive Ways

Post by Philip »

Part Two - Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis criticism continued: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95B-NrAmS_U
bkudrle
Newbie Member

Re: Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham / Answers in Genesis' Divisive Ways

Post by bkudrle »

Thanks for posting this. I had not heard before of how many Christians both recent and from long ago questioned a 24 hour day interpretation of Genesis 1. My biggest problem with Ken Ham's approach is that there are some people who might consider a Christian faith, but when they discover that apparently means that they have to accept 24 hour days of creation after listening to Ken Ham and his followers, then that turns them away. Ken Ham is doing the church a great disservice, in my opinion, by actually turning people away from the Truth. I don't think it is a godly thing to do.
Danielstymn
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Why doesnt Judaism prose….

Post by Danielstymn »

Is there a theological reason why Judaism does not promote proselytization, or is it a cultural tradition? How does this approach impact the religion's growth and interaction with other faiths?