Is God a Moral Monster?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Is God a Moral Monster?

Post by Nessa »

Dawkins has said...

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

If we think God is too loving to allow people to go to hell, then how can we reconcile parts of the old testament that point to scriptures such as God telling people to kill others include children and babies. Also what about wiping out all the people in the flood?

While, I don't agree with Dawkins description of God, I do think that hell is just one of the many instances where we need to accept the truth that God is not only loving but he is also just and holy.

Reaching out to steady the ark of the covenant caused a man to die. Sometimes I think we just don't fully comprehend the true holiness of God.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is God a Moral Monster?

Post by RickD »

Atheist:
“God doesn’t exist, because if He existed, evil wouldn’t go unpunished.”

Christian:
“What about all the evil people killed in the flood? What about the evil people who sacrificed their children, that God punished?”

Atheist:
“God is a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.“
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Please read Paul Coplan's book titled, "Is God a Moral Monster".

Taken out of context, yes, some of the acts attributed to God MAY seem horrific and genocidal.
But I guess I can also be asked based on WHAT moral grounds one would say that? ( If morality is subjective as atheist say it is).
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Paul: Please read Paul Coplan's book titled, "Is God a Moral Monster".
Yes! Every thinking Christian who wishes to counter the typical and false atheist assertions about the God of the Bible should own that book! People say all kinds of junk they don't know what they are talking about - like, "The Bible supports slavery," etc. And because they don't realize slavery in ancient Israel wasn't anything like the institution of slaver in 18 and 19th century America. It was by contractual and MUTUAL agreement for a certain defined period (it wasn't forever) that provided benefits to the "slave" (who otherwise would be destitute) AND with legally defined mandates that made abuse illegal. But people constantly throw out garbage assertions that they have no historical or scholarly understanding of!