Bible Studies
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Does or does NOT God change His mind?

Post by Philip »

OK, so there are many Bible difficulties that might, on the surface, SEEM to be contractions, yet further study and analysis that can be explained or reconciled: https://carm.org/does-lord-change-or-not (as further below).

And there are many such Scriptural difficulties - here's a list of them, from Carm.org, found throughout the Bible - look at the left side of the page for an index of them:
https://carm.org/genesis-deuteronomy

God does not change:
(Malachi 3:6)--"For I, the Lord, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed."

And then He seems to change His mind:
(Genesis 6:6, 7)--"And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7And the Lord said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them."

(Exodus 32:14)--"So the Lord changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people."

(Jonah 3:10)--"When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Does or does NOT God change His mind?

Post by RickD »

I vote, God does not change His mind.

It only seems like it, from our perspective.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

Since God knows the end from the beginning, he doesn’t change his mind.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

It's a rhetorical question - mostly wanted people to discover the many places in the Bible that are mysteries or apparent contradictions. If God could change His mind, then He would not always be the same - or rather, of one mind with ONE collective and perfect knowledge of ALL things past, present and future.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 pm It's a rhetorical question - mostly wanted people to discover the many places in the Bible that are mysteries or apparent contradictions...
Rhetorical question...OK. At first it sounded like a typical atheist taunt.

I forgive you.

:incense:
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Philip wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 am OK, so there are many Bible difficulties that might, on the surface, SEEM to be contractions, yet further study and analysis that can be explained or reconciled: https://carm.org/does-lord-change-or-not (as further below).

And there are many such Scriptural difficulties - here's a list of them, from Carm.org, found throughout the Bible - look at the left side of the page for an index of them:
https://carm.org/genesis-deuteronomy

God does not change:
(Malachi 3:6)--"For I, the Lord, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed."

And then He seems to change His mind:
(Genesis 6:6, 7)--"And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7And the Lord said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them."

(Exodus 32:14)--"So the Lord changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people."

(Jonah 3:10)--"When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it."
I say God himself does not change but in the OT God changed his mind when dealing with man. However, now that Jesus has come and we can be saved we are now living in the age of grace until we transition into the tribulation period and we can enter into a blood covenant and a blood sacrifice for the remission of our sins by being saved by Jesus and God does not break blood covenants.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Philip wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 pm It's a rhetorical question - mostly wanted people to discover the many places in the Bible that are mysteries or apparent contradictions.
There's a third possibility, which is there are just contradictions. :twisted:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

K: There's a third possibility, which is there are just contradictions. :twisted:
A bit like considering oneself being in "married bliss." :roll:
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Jesus and Moses. For you all.
https://youtu.be/6Upwpszpc30
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Philip wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 am
K: There's a third possibility, which is there are just contradictions. :twisted:
A bit like considering oneself being in "married bliss." :roll:
That'll never be bliss, not with me. Just ask Mrs K. :cry:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Does God change His mind or does God ALLOW for Humans to persuade Him of another option that He already KNOWS the outcome to?

God knows all possible outcomes and whatever path God chooses, He knows the outcome so, perhaps, God allows humans ( in their exercising of free will) to "change" His mind as to what is to be done.