Catholics Polled about Communion

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Catholics Polled about Communion

Post by RickD »

bura paayalat wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:14 pm
My sin keeps me up at night wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:15 pm
Flieswatter wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:16 am
Philip wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:58 pm Oh, I well know Catholic stuff - my wife grew up a Catholic in New England - her entire family is Catholic, and are very Bible ignorant. They never talk about God or Christ, and I've never seen a Bible in their houses. They are pros at going to Mass but never discussing anything spiritual.
Yeah, but that isn’t the point I wanted to make. Essentially, the RC Church is like Burger King where every parish throughout the land serves the same meal because all the hamburgers and fries are made in one location and according to one recipe. On the other hand, most Protestant churches are like independent burger joints where the pastor cooks up his own recipes week after week.
You have weird Burger Kings in French Canadia.

Here in the US, Burger King's slogan is, "Have it your way."

So basically, you're saying that the RC Church allows people to decide what they want in their services. If they want extra wafers with their wine, that's fine. Hold the Divine Liturgy. Fine, have it your way.

I think you're confused about how the RC Church works.
“Have it your way” is just a slogan. You can only have what’s on their menu. If you prefer, substitute MacDonald’s for Burger King in my analogy. Or Taco Bell. Have it your way...

:incense:
So, you're saying that independent burger joints don't have menus? How would we know prices? I think you're also confused about the restaurant business.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

Steeped in Sin wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:36 pm
Philip wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:58 pm Oh, I well know Catholic stuff - my wife grew up a Catholic in New England - her entire family is Catholic, and are very Bible ignorant. They never talk about God or Christ, and I've never seen a Bible in their houses. They are pros at going to Mass but never discussing anything spiritual.
Yeah, but that isn’t the point I wanted to make. Essentially, the RC Church is like Burger King where every parish throughout the land serves the same meal because all the hamburgers and fries are made in one location and according to one recipe. On the other hand, most Protestant churches are like independent burger joints where the pastor cooks up his own recipes week after week.

So basically, you're saying that the RC Church allows people to decide what they want in their services. If they want extra wafers with their wine, that's fine. Hold the Divine Liturgy. Fine, have it your way.

“Have it your way” is just a slogan. You can only have what’s on their menu. If you prefer, substitute MacDonald’s for Burger King in my analogy. Or Taco Bell. Have it your way...

So, you're saying that independent burger joints don't have menus? How would we know prices? I think you're also confused about the restaurant business.
I went to an independent burger joint in N’Awlins and ordered something on the menu. My wife asked the guy if she could have something she imagined. He said, “Sure!” She described it, he made it and charged her some price he thought up in his head. Try doing that at Burger King...they really won’t let you have it your way. It’s just a slogan.

So, the Catholics have a Burger King-like franchise: all their churches serve up the same fare. There’s no variety. It’s good because you always know what you’re going to get. No surprises. Protestant churches aren’t like that. Some serve great burgers, some serve crap I wouldn’t feed to my dog.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ain't No Restauranteur wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:17 pm

I went to an independent burger joint in N’Awlins and ordered something on the menu. My wife asked the guy if she could have something she imagined. He said, “Sure!” She described it, he made it and charged her some price he thought up in his head. Try doing that at Burger King...they really won’t let you have it your way. It’s just a slogan.

So, the Catholics have a Burger King-like franchise: all their churches serve up the same fare. There’s no variety. It’s good because you always know what you’re going to get. No surprises. Protestant churches aren’t like that. Some serve great burgers, some serve crap I wouldn’t feed to my dog.
No variety at Burger King?

Apparently, you're unaware that you can get tacos at BK.

I realize that you're housebound for 10 months out of the year in Mon-tree-awl, but you really need to go on a nice date night to Burger King.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

I raid the dumpsters behind Burger King for unfinished meals wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:48 pm

I realize that you're housebound for 10 months out of the year in Mon-tree-awl, but you really need to go on a nice date night to Burger King.
What??? You would have to PAY me to live in Montreal. And I don’t need any money, so forget about that.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Abandoned His French Heritage wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:45 am
I raid the dumpsters behind Burger King for unfinished meals wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:48 pm

What??? You would have to PAY me to live in Montreal. And I don’t need any money, so forget about that.
Wow! I just got finished stalking you checked your IP address, and it seems that you have moved out of the French part of Canada, into the normal part.

Congratulations on your moving out of the slums!

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

I’m James Bond’s homeless brother wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:44 am
Abandoned His French Heritage wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:45 am

Wow! I just got finished stalking you checked your IP address, and it seems that you have moved out of the French part of Canada, into the normal part.

Congratulations on your moving out of the slums!
Montreal is one big slum. It comes in a close second to Baltimore. Third on that list is Detroit.
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Montreal is one big slum. It comes in a close second to Baltimore. Third on that list is Detroit.
Surely it can't be anywhere near as bad a Baltimore. That place is a dangerous, crumbling, crime capital! Was there in the fall - to see a dying friend. First stoplight - besieged by aggressive "window cleaners." Block after block of bombed out projects that should have been torn down 30 years ago. Much of it, even in the city centers (there are two) isn't very well lite at night, and the police presence seemed alarmingly slight for a city of that size. Unfortunate circumstance found me on the street downtown late at night and I had to walk several blocks from a garage to my hotel - which was disconcerting - with street people just lingering around for no apparent reason. I can remember when Baltimore was thought of as a fairly nice place. Detroit - a slum for decades now.
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:46 am
Surely it can't be anywhere near as bad a Baltimore. That place is a dangerous, crumbling, crime capital! Was there in the fall - to see a dying friend. First stoplight - besieged by aggressive "window cleaners." Block after block of bombed out projects that should have been torn down 30 years ago. Much of it, even in the city centers (there are two) isn't very well lite at night, and the police presence seemed alarmingly slight for a city of that size. Unfortunate circumstance found me on the street downtown late at night and I had to walk several blocks from a garage to my hotel - which was disconcerting - with street people just lingering around for no apparent reason. I can remember when Baltimore was thought of as a fairly nice place. Detroit - a slum for decades now.
Well, I don’t know since I don’t live there. Montreal is an awful city to drive through because of all the infrastructure work going on: water mains, sewers, roadwork, not to mention bridges... all the construction work going on slows traffic. It’s very annoying. I guess it’s OK if you’re a tourist on a bus. No one will assault you at least. Baltimore is the worst place I’ve been. Detroit is up there too in terms of ugly.

Philadelphia is nice, so is Miami. Chicago is so-so. New York City is on par with other notable cities in Europe.

Just to stay on topic, there are a lot of RC churches in Montreal. I saw Burger King there too...
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Surely it(Montreal) can't be anywhere near as bad a Baltimore.
Montreal is full of French people. It doesn't get much worse than that.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Dumpster Diver wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:21 pm
Philip wrote:
Baltimore is worse but both are awful for different reasons. Baltimore is like Dakar: dirty and you get an uneasy feeling walking its streets. People don’t respect traffic laws. Garbage everywhere. Montreal is...a huge construction zone with dust, noise, awful traffic congestion...it’s so bad I have no comparison...maybe Delhi...or Mumbai but without the stench of these two.

You really need to be driving a Bentley or a Rolls in Montreal to stomach the traffic. In Baltimore, the Bentley would get you assaulted. You’d better be driving a Hummer.
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stingrays are better than Bentleys wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:50 pm
Philip wrote:
Baltimore is worse but both are awful for different reasons. Baltimore is like Dakar: dirty and you get an uneasy feeling walking its streets. People don’t respect traffic laws. Garbage everywhere. Montreal is...a huge construction zone with dust, noise, awful traffic congestion...it’s so bad I have no comparison...maybe Delhi...or Mumbai but without the stench of these two.

You really need to be driving a Bentley or a Rolls in Montreal to stomach the traffic. In Baltimore, the Bentley would get you assaulted. You’d better be driving a Hummer.
Montreal lacks the stench of Delhi or Mumbai, because it's too damn cold to have a stench.

Ever heard the saying, "When hell freezes over"?

That's Montreal. Frozen hell. And the little Frenchmen are the demons.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

I actually LOVE Bentley automobiles wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:56 pm
Stingrays are better than Bentleys wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:50 pm
Felipe wrote:

Montreal lacks the stench of Delhi or Mumbai, because it's too damn cold to have a stench.

Ever heard the saying, "When hell freezes over"?

That's Montreal. Frozen hell. And the little Frenchmen are the demons.
Actually, Mumbai is a lot worse than any city in North America. The place stinks, the traffic is horrible, cars spew smoke that coats your face and hair with an oily residue...and there are the crooked merchants, the beggars, the filth, the ramshackle buildings...I would say it’s Baltimore x 10.
-John Stuart Mill