Catholics Polled about Communion

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Catholics Polled about Communion

Post by Philip »

Interesting: Pew Research recently polled 11,000 U.S. Catholics about the communion and Transubstantiation – the CC teaching that, during Mass, the bread and wine used for Communion become the actual body and blood of Jesus Christ. And only 1 in 3 Catholics appear to believe this: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... catholics/
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: Catholics Polled about Communion

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:53 pm Interesting: Pew Research recently polled 11,000 U.S. Catholics about the communion and Transubstantiation – the CC teaching that, during Mass, the bread and wine used for Communion become the actual body and blood of Jesus Christ. And only 1 in 3 Catholics appear to believe this...
It has been my experience that young Roman Catholics simply don’t know about transsubstantiation. When told about it, they say it’s impossible and that it’s simply symbolic.

Didn’t Pew Research also find that a significant number of Protestants thought Joan of Arc was Noah’s wife?
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

To me, the category Protestant means little more than a person who identifies as a Christian that isn't Catholic. Evangelicals tend to understand Bible teachings much more. The old mainstream protestant denominational divisions are fast blurring or irrelevant. People now much less choose the denomination of their parents.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Yeah, that transubstantiation thing is not really understood by most Catholics and understandably so.
Catholics tend to see their faith as:
Belief in God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit, the Trinity ( though they can't explain it), having to go to mass on Sunday, confession before the Eucharist, hail marys and our fathers as penance, take the Eucharist because you should, whatever that means.
Faith doesn't need to be explained.

Typical Catholics can't really defend their faith.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

People need to realize the difference between mere religious practices vs. having a commited faith in and to Christ. But there are many authentic Christians that do not have knowledge of how to defend their faith.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

True and that is kind of sad.
Personally I think many are ok just to explain it by "faith".
Also, I don't see many priests or preachers telling people that they should be able to explain their faith or that they should be accountable to their beliefs.
It seems that most are happy with people simply being sheep ( follow and do what you are told).
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Paul: Personally I think many are ok just to explain it by "faith".
And so they are A) disobedient to Scripture (see the paragraph below), and B) are simultaneously spreading the false belief that the Bible and the Christian faith HAVE NO real defenses - that they must be believe on BLIND faith - a more ignorant belief would be hard to find! Note how much time the Apostle Paul spent in synagogues and with learned people and intellectuals presenting arguments of reason to encourage faith in the risen Christ - btw, a powerful refutation of five point Calvinist beliefs (as they believe there is NO ability of man to use reason - or anything else - to come to faith).

1 Peter 3:15: "15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect..."

And some who take the above verse seriously, often forget the underlined portion.

Even Jesus (John 4:48) stated that unless some people saw actual proofs of the miraculous, they would not otherwise believe: "So Jesus said to him, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you simply will not believe." Which, again, refutes Calvinists who would say man has NO choice - because if people were merely "regenerated to instant belief," they why would they need to first see miracles? And throughout the NT, we see some coming to faith from seeing the wonders of Jesus and the Apostles, and others refusing to accept what they obviously were proving.
Paul: Also, I don't see many priests or preachers telling people that they should be able to explain their faith or that they should be accountable to their beliefs.
Which is a travesty - such people shouldn't even be in ministry, IMHO!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Most church sermons are just that, the sermon for the week, approved by the archdiocese.
There is lots of talking TO the people there but not very much talking WITH the people.
Sad thing is that the majority is totally find with that and those that aren't, that want more, well they eventually stop going.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Paul: Most church sermons are just that, the sermon for the week, approved by the archdiocese. There is lots of talking TO the people there but not very much talking WITH the people. Sad thing is that the majority is totally find with that and those that aren't, that want more, well they eventually stop going.
Why don't churches survey their attendees to find out what questions they'd like answered about God, Christ, the Bible, etc? Instead of mostly presuming what they THINK needs to be addressed in sermons? How will they know if they don't ask? And it could just be done anonymously via a question box set up in the church lobby!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RCC follow the direction of the archdiocese.
The sermons for the week are planned the year before.
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:41 am RCC follow the direction of the archdiocese.
The sermons for the week are planned the year before.
That’s right. Philip needs to go to Mass and see for himself. Catholics have little booklets outlining that Sunday’s Mass, complete with Bible passages the priest will read, prayers and supplications the priest will perform, and the canned answers the audience is expected to recite. Songs with their lyrics are in the booklet too. All churches in the diocese have the same booklet.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Oh, I well know Catholic stuff - my wife grew up a Catholic in New England - her entire family is Catholic, and are very Bible ignorant. They never talk about God or Christ, and I've never seen a Bible in their houses. They are pros at going to Mass but never discussing anything spiritual.
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:58 pm Oh, I well know Catholic stuff - my wife grew up a Catholic in New England - her entire family is Catholic, and are very Bible ignorant. They never talk about God or Christ, and I've never seen a Bible in their houses. They are pros at going to Mass but never discussing anything spiritual.
Yeah, but that isn’t the point I wanted to make. Essentially, the RC Church is like Burger King where every parish throughout the land serves the same meal because all the hamburgers and fries are made in one location and according to one recipe. On the other hand, most Protestant churches are like independent burger joints where the pastor cooks up his own recipes week after week.
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Flieswatter wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:16 am
Philip wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:58 pm Oh, I well know Catholic stuff - my wife grew up a Catholic in New England - her entire family is Catholic, and are very Bible ignorant. They never talk about God or Christ, and I've never seen a Bible in their houses. They are pros at going to Mass but never discussing anything spiritual.
Yeah, but that isn’t the point I wanted to make. Essentially, the RC Church is like Burger King where every parish throughout the land serves the same meal because all the hamburgers and fries are made in one location and according to one recipe. On the other hand, most Protestant churches are like independent burger joints where the pastor cooks up his own recipes week after week.
You have weird Burger Kings in French Canadia.

Here in the US, Burger King's slogan is, "Have it your way."

So basically, you're saying that the RC Church allows people to decide what they want in their services. If they want extra wafers with their wine, that's fine. Hold the Divine Liturgy. Fine, have it your way.

I think you're confused about how the RC Church works.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

My sin keeps me up at night wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:15 pm
Flieswatter wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:16 am
You have weird Burger Kings in French Canadia.

Here in the US, Burger King's slogan is, "Have it your way."

So basically, you're saying that the RC Church allows people to decide what they want in their services. If they want extra wafers with their wine, that's fine. Hold the Divine Liturgy. Fine, have it your way.

I think you're confused about how the RC Church works.
“Have it your way” is just a slogan. You can only have what’s on their menu. If you prefer, substitute MacDonald’s for Burger King in my analogy. Or Taco Bell. Have it your way...

:incense:
-John Stuart Mill