AOC's Question on Inflation - Is She Correct?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

AOC's Question on Inflation - Is She Correct?

Post by Philip »

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: AOC's Question on Inflation - Is She Correct?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Yes, and no.
The economy in the US is very different today than 20 years ago,much less 50 years ago.
Yes, basic inflation still kind of works the same way, but that is only part of the picture.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Paul: Yes, and no.The economy in the US is very different today than 20 years ago,much less 50 years ago.
Yes, basic inflation still kind of works the same way, but that is only part of the picture.
But the evidence seems far from clear cut - AND if things are very different, then why are we employing the same fiscal approach about inflation? Is that approach STILL valid, given the evidences of the last two decades? It's an important question to ponder.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

I don't know if she's right, but it's an interesting topic. I'll look more into it later.

That said, some of the comments in that article make me nervous, as does talk of lowering interest rates again. I think that we're overdue for a massive market correction, but Trump wants to do is stomp harder on the gas pedal. That's always fantastic for the billionaires, since it allows them to get a larger share of the pie for pennies on the dollar, but the rest of us will be hurt badly.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am
Paul: Yes, and no.The economy in the US is very different today than 20 years ago,much less 50 years ago.
But the evidence seems far from clear cut - AND if things are very different, then why are we employing the same fiscal approach about inflation? Is that approach STILL valid, given the evidences of the last two decades? It's an important question to ponder.
The technology sector has thrown a wrench into a lot of predictive models.
Also, there is the issue of "under employment" VS Unemployment, something that was a non-issue ( or at least a very minor one) in the past.
There is also the economy that is driven by new construction ( housing market), that is far more impactful and critical than it was when most of these economic theories and models were being created.