Was Jesus Tortured in hell for 3 days and 3 Nights?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
cled
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Was Jesus Tortured in hell for 3 days and 3 Nights?

Post by cled »

I am coming to the conclusion that after jesus died on the cross he fell down to the lowest parts of hell and there he suffered the torment of the demons in my place. The reason for that is that he died as a sinner, being the sacrifice, and suffering the spiritual judgment of being separated from God as my proxy . And in that Jesus being sinless it was not possible for hell to hold him and keep him for he was innocent . Unlike me it would be just for me to remain there. But the full wrath of God was poured out on him till and he remained in hell till Gods wrath was satisfied till the 3rd day .Unlike most of us , just 5 mins of being placed in hell would mess us up for the rest of natural lives once we returned . This is how Jesus shut up hell , he went there himself and did a job that I wasn't able to do . For once we enter into hell we would never be allowed out for we are all guilty of sin . But death has no hold on him . He suffered the physical death and torture in my place and he also suffered the spiritual death and torture . The death of the flesh of the cross would have been just a short flash of pain compared to the spiritual death of the separation and torment under the hordes of hell . In Hell jesus suffered as a sinner , for the first time he could never see or feel the father , but he had a promise that the father would not leave his soul in hell . Psalms 88 sound alot like the beginning of the end in the garden of gethsemane. And then the pit , the pit is hell .

I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. 10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’

PSALM 88
O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee: 2 Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry; 3 For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave. 4 I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength: 5 Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand. 6 Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps. 7 Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves. Selah. 8 Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me; thou hast made me an abomination unto them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth. 9 Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.
10 Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 11 Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction? 12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness? 13 But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee. 14 LORD, why castest thou off my soul? why hidest thou thy face from me? 15 I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted. 16 Thy fierce wrath goeth over me; thy terrors have cut me off. 17 They came round about me daily like water; they compassed me about together. 18 Lover and friend hast thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness.

He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Was Jesus Tortured in hell for 3 days and 3 Nights?

Post by Storyteller »

https://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-go-to-hell.html

Apparently not.

And my own personal thoughts... Although He took on all our sin, He himself wasn't a sinner.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

It seems he went to Sheol/Hades but for how long we just don't know.
If the thief beside Him was to be with Him in paradise that day, then it would mean that Jesus only went to Sheol for a short time that day, and then went to heaven.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

There is no linear chronology in those verses.
Jesus may have taken the thieves spirit to paradise and then gone to Hell to preach to the spirits in prison there.
Doesn't really matter one way or another.
What we do know is that Jesus went to Sheol and preached to the imprisoned spirits there.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

This wrong idea comes from a misunderstanding of 1 Peter 3: 18-19: 18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, 19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, 20 because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.

This likely means that Christ spoke through Noah, who 2 Peter 2:5 describes as a "herald of righteousness" - so, during that 120 years of Noah building God's ark, he was also proclaiming a message of repentance and that calamity was coming. Interestingly, Noah was instructed to build only ONE door through which only his wife and sons and wives would be saved. And it is God who shut that door before the deluge: "And the Lord shut him in." So, the humanity around Noah saw over 100 years of warnings from Noah, seeing his ark being built, and of the miraculous call of the animals loaded onto it. And then the door was shut. It's very similar to Jesus Parable of the Narrow Door, In Luke 13:25: When once the master of the house has risen and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, open to us,’ then he will answer you, ‘I do not know where you come from.’ JESUS is the narrow door. And it is Jesus who spoke through Noah to those who refused to repent and turn to God from their evil, to join Noah. But God foreknew they would not, and tells Noah this, and why, and thus the ark was designed to hold they animals those God knew WOULD obey Him. And, through faith, Noah and His family entered through the door that God would use to save them.

The mistake in understanding the verse comes from assuming that Jesus proclaimed to the spirits of those who died rejecting God AFTER they were in prison. Far likelier this passage is referring of JESUS speaking through Noah's "righteousness" and warnings, which "they FORMERLY" did not obey" (at the time the proclamations were made). And when did these proclamations of Jesus, through Noah, occur? "When God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared," in the years before the flood. Note that in the days of Noah, as today, there is a point in time when we have a chance to respond to God's proclamations and teachings, and then that door is shut - whether at death, or for those living at the time, when Jesus comes back. Those "in prison" refer to those in hell who are already guilty - from which there is only the final judgment details to come. So, also, there would be no reason for Jesus to preach to those who are already condemned and failed to repent, as their time of opportunity (during their mortal lives), has passed. Remember, Hebrews 9:27: "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,"

Sometimes, whether through translations of the way New Testament-era people spoke, there can be perceived awkwardness that we can misperceive the intentions of. And as one of the cautions of translations is translate what one THINKS the author meant, as opposed to what the author's actual recorded words actually show. Because otherwise mistakes can be made.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Just returned last Monday night from a ministry trip. Great time. around 21 people came to Jesus - saved - in four days. Many more prayed for inner healing issues and set free.

Now I return and see this topic...

My answer is NO - Jesus was not tortured in hell in order to wrestle to get the keys of hell and death from the devil. The devil never had these keys - how do I know this? God is sovereign - period.

Next - the keys of hell and death refer to the keys of authority to Judge every human being whether Hell or Heaven. Jesus is that Judge as it is written in:

John 5:21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.
John 5:22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son,
John 5:23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
John 5:24 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
NKJV

No - Jesus was not tortured in hell because as it is written in:

Col 2:14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
Col 2:15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
NKJV

John 12:31

Col 1:16 NKJV For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him note Matthew 25:41

Next Luke 16:19-31 explains the Jewish concept of hell as under the earth in two separate compartments. One for the damed and the other for the righteous Jews who died like the patriarchs, King David, etc..

That area was known as Paradise or Abraham's Bosom where those found God's grace by faith in God alone. These folks in the good part could not enter heaven until Jesus atoning work and resurrection was complete. Jesus went to that section of Hell and took those captive in paradise to heaven, while in the other part we call the current hell proclaimed judgment upon those their. More of a Victory proclamation. Authority to rightly judge humanity was given to Jesus who has that authority- keys because the Father gave him the keys He had in regard to this as the bible clearly teaches.

Note: Proverbs 30:4, Ephesians 4:8,9,10, Psalms 68:18, and Col 2:15

See also - Acts 2:24, 1 Peter 3:19, Hosea 13:14

John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.

John 14:30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me.

John 16:11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
NKJV

Hope this helps...

Please note that Luke 16:19-31 is not a parable - how do I know this because he mentions a real person's name and makes use of the phrase there was a certain rich man and a certain beggar named Lazarus...

In Parables - no names like this are given. Jesus is speaking of something he knew full well happened.

Blessings...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
cled
Acquainted Member

Post by cled »

Off camber of my original post :

The story of the why the rich man ended up in hell is about there was a broken person outside his house that he would pass by every day and not even offer to help, when the rich man had the power to do so . Jesus elaborated that the only persons to minister to this broken person was the dogs that came and cleaned his sores with their mouths. Being saved and being a christian is more about us going about and helping those in need , making ourselves available to others and not turning blind eye as the rich man did. The rich man did not have the love of God present with in himself besides being unsaved.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

The rich man did not have the love of God present with in himself besides being unsaved.
Because one cannot be saved and NOT have a deep love and concern for their fellow man. Good deeds and compassion are natural outflows of a person re-born of the Spirit.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Back to the subject.

The doctrine that taught that Jesus was Tortured in hell for 3 days and 3 Nights was a development and twisting the old Ransom Theory that was popular way back around 200 - 600 ish AD where God paid a ransom to the devil so the devil would give up the souls of men.

This developed over the years in many forms the Jesus was Tortured in hell for 3 days and 3 Nights and fought to get the keys of hell and death from the devil. In the modern era Kenneth Copeland and the many in the Word of Faith taught that view and still do and some do not.

What can we do with such teaching? I don't know other than tell the truth. It is heretical to say the least.

The current Word of Faith teaching on this is extreme error. The old ransom theroy in its original conceptualization did not go that far to say the host of hell beat up Jesus in some sort of WWE cage wrestling match in hell and Jesus like Rocky goes all the rounds and wins the fight ... and at the end of the movie wins his girl's heart too...

How do would you tell folks who teach this Cage Match in Hell doctrine? I would like to hear how others would handle this...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

We also need to remember that when Jesus was in the flesh only, before the resurrection, He had emptied Himself of His Omnipotence. That was NOT the case after the resurrection.
How does one torture God?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

PaulSacramento wrote:We also need to remember that when Jesus was in the flesh only, before the resurrection, He had emptied Himself of His Omnipotence. That was NOT the case after the resurrection.
How does one torture God?
Satan does it all the time, but only because of God's patience and mercy.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

You really think that Satan can physically and/or mentally harm God ??
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

PaulSacramento wrote:You really think that Satan can physically and/or mentally harm God ??
Only if God allows it to happen, for whatever reason. Such as in the case of Jesus.
Satan has free will, and when he causes humans to sin or help bring evil into the world-that hurts God.
As we see in the case of Noah, God actually regretted making humanity because of their evil. THAT says something considering the overall patience of God and that we're made in God's image. And who is called the prince of this age, the god of this world? Satan.
Now of course God has the ability to stop it, but that is for a future time.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Here is what I believe from bible reading,teachings and my understanding. No Jesus did not go to hell and was not tortured.He went into Abrahams Bosom where all of the OT saints were and he took them to heaven,Abrahams Bosom was where the OT saints went when they died and it was not in the tormenting part of hell.Those who were in Abrahams Bosom could look over and see those in hell but they themselves were safe.Jesus went to Abraham's Bosom where the OT Saints were.Nobody went to heaven until Jesus died on the cross fulfilling his mission and now they do.This is why Jesus told the theif Today you will be with me in paradise and he was,paradise was Abraham's Bosom and the theif went there after he died and then Jesus went there after he died and got him and took him to heaven with all of the OT Saints.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Here is what I believe from bible reading,teachings and my understanding. No Jesus did not go to hell and was not tortured.He went into Abrahams Bosom where all of the OT saints were and he took them to heaven,Abrahams Bosom was where the OT saints went when they died and it was not in the tormenting part of hell.Those who were in Abrahams Bosom could look over and see those in hell but they themselves were safe.Jesus went to Abraham's Bosom where the OT Saints were.Nobody went to heaven until Jesus died on the cross fulfilling his mission and now they do.This is why Jesus told the theif Today you will be with me in paradise and he was,paradise was Abraham's Bosom and the theif went there after he died and then Jesus went there after he died and got him and took him to heaven with all of the OT Saints.
I agree but he also proclaimed a proclamation of victory over the the works of darkness and their damnation to those in the current hell, according to these verses:

1 Peter 3:18,19,20, "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water..." NKJV

The word traslated preached in verse 19 is the Greek word κηρύσσω - kērussō -Thayer Defines it as:
Thayer Definition:

κηρύσσω
kērussō

1) to be a herald, to officiate as a herald
1a) to proclaim after the manner of a herald
1b) always with the suggestion of formality, gravity and an authority which must be listened to and obeyed
2) to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done
So from the text, Jesus also proclaimed a truth - shout of condemnation to those in current hell and a victory to those in Paradise.

There is no way Jesus fought the devils in hell in a Wrestling Cage match - that can't be derived from the the bible at all.
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb: