5 Public Schools Have Installed Muslim Prayer Rooms

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: 5 Public Schools Have Installed Muslim Prayer Rooms

Post by edwardmurphy »

At the kids' request. It's the equivalent of some Christian kids asking for a place where they could have their own Bible study class. The important part is that it's not a school initiative.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:At the kids' request. It's the equivalent of some Christian kids asking for a place where they could have their own Bible study class. The important part is that it's not a school initiative.
If you say so, Egg.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

At my school we have this club called "Morning Ministries" which a lot of people seem to hate since there's mostly evangelicals, but it's before when class starts at 9 AM. I can see public schools having a Muslim class too.
Last edited by thatkidakayoungguy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

What is so wrong about teachers leading prayer? That seems to be the only real issue here.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Hortator wrote:What is so wrong about teachers leading prayer? That seems to be the only real issue here.
In a private school, I'd have no problem with that. If children are in a Christian school, then there should be no problem with a Christian teacher leading students in a Christian prayer. Or a Jewish teacher in a Jewish school leading students in a Jewish prayer. Or a Muslim teacher in a Muslim school...

I'm just not sure if it's appropriate in a public school.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Hortator wrote:What is so wrong about teachers leading prayer? That seems to be the only real issue here.
From B.W.'s like on the last page:
What is the law about prayers in public schools?

Public schools exist to educate, not to proselytize. Children in public schools are a captive audience. Making prayer an official part of the school day is coercive and invasive.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote:
In a private school, I'd have no problem with that. If children are in a Christian school, then there should be no problem with a Christian teacher leading students in a Christian prayer. Or a Jewish teacher in a Jewish school leading students in a Jewish prayer. Or a Muslim teacher in a Muslim school...
The Constitution and the Courts agree with you there. So do I, for what that's worth.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I disagree because of America's culture which has been Christianity.Although we should allow freedom of religion in America as long as it is not a suicide pact and we do then there is no problem. But the problem starts when our culture is being changed from Christianity to placate other religions because it undermines our culture of Christianity.America's culture can be lost if we don't guard against it.We are not an Islamic country,Buddhist country,Hindu country,etc we have a Christian heritage that is important to the culture of America that needs to be maintained.Ed and others are proven wrong from the simple fact that our government officials have always started with prayer in our government and so this proves they were not practicing separation of church and state like he wants.You'd have to say the forefathers who's names are all signed "In the year of the Lord" at the bottom of the Constitution were hypocrites.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.