Can Christians cuss?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Can Christians cuss?

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

I don't like to but I tolerate it and sometimes I slip up.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Can Christians cuss?

Post by Philip »

Can Christians cuss?
Well, why don't you put it to a test: Walk across your bedroom in the dark and smash your little pinky toe into the bottom of a bedpost - so violently that it takes your toenail off - trust me, Christians not only CAN but do cuss. And it this case, followed by a lot of self-pitying whimpering. And after a few days, when some clueless big clod steps his whole weight onto that toe missing a nail - yep: @##%!!!***XXXXZZZZAAAhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooohhhhhsssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhittttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!! Afterward, if you can hop fast enough, someone is probably going to die.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Philip wrote:
Can Christians cuss?
Well, why don't you put it to a test: Walk across your bedroom in the dark and smash your little pinky toe into the bottom of a bedpost - so violently that it takes your toenail off - trust me, Christians not only CAN but do cuss. And it this case, followed by a lot of self-pitying whimpering. And after a few days, when some clueless big clod steps his whole weight onto that toe missing a nail - yep: @##%!!!***XXXXZZZZAAAhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooohhhhhsssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhittttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!! Afterward, if you can hop fast enough, someone is probably going to die.
No need to, I already have been in similar circumstances.
What I meant to say was, should Christians cuss?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:I don't like to but I tolerate it and sometimes I slip up.
You're young still. When you're old like I am, you'll learn to control yourself, young padawan.

I never use curse words. I have complete control of myself at all times. y:^o
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:I don't like to but I tolerate it and sometimes I slip up.
You're young still. When you're old like I am, you'll learn to control yourself, young padawan.

I never use curse words. I have complete control of myself at all times. y:^o
Rick says words like fiddlesticks cos hes old :wheelchair:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

The other day, my seven year old told his brother he was gonna kick him in the nuts....

Not exactly a swear word but kinda took me by suprise :shock:
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Nessa wrote:The other day, my seven year old told his brother he was gonna kick him in the nuts....

Not exactly a swear word but kinda took me by suprise :shock:
little kids often say such junk. I was no exception.
One time I had a 10 year old girl threaten to saw me when i was 14. I can't remember what i said but ik it wasn't that bad.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Swearing for a Christian is wrong.

I have low self control in this area and often find the F bomb comes out but usually only at home.

When I was a teen, I let the F word slip at my grandparents and my dad really laid into me big time. But he himself always swore. So I guess what restraints me most is thinking about my kids and the bad example Im setting.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:Swearing for a Christian is wrong.

I have low self control in this area and often find the F bomb comes out but usually only at home.

When I was a teen, I let the F word slip at my grandparents and my dad really laid into me big time. But he himself always swore. So I guess what restraints me most is thinking about my kids and the bad example Im setting.
I don't think I need to tell you that's extremely unladylike!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

My mom grew up on an isolated farm in the middle of nowhere, so she had been very sheltered. To her dying day I never heard her swear - EVER! When I was in third grade, I picked up a nasty little limerick from another kid, which included multiple uses of the F WORD. I had no clue what it meant. So, I asked my sweet, innocent mother, as I couldn't find it in the dictionary :esurprised: :shock: :esurprised: :shock: - I first thought she was gonna have a heart attack. And then I thought she was gonna kill me. And after all her freaking out, I never was told what it meant, but I knew it must be really bad. Actually, I'm not even sure she knew either. :roll: As I'm the oldest, I kind of broke mom into the real world.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

I think that it is a no, Christians shouldn't swear.

I have been dealing with this very problem myself in fact! I used to swear like a sailor but have since toned it down. I hardly ever swear anymore. It just feels more peaceful and better that way. If you were in the presence of Christ would you swear?

Ephesians 4:29
Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

James 1:26
Verse Concepts If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.

Luke 6:45
"The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

Romans 12:2
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Ephesians 5:4
and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Proverbs 10:31
The mouth of the righteous flows with wisdom, But the perverted tongue will be cut out.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Stu wrote:I think that it is a no, Christians shouldn't swear.

I have been dealing with this very problem myself in fact! I used to swear like a sailor but have since toned it down. I hardly ever swear anymore. It just feels more peaceful and better that way.
How? What do you use instead? I feel like I'll never get rid of it. :?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

My daughter never swears, I seriously can't remember even one time. I'd like to claim it's how she's raised, but in actuality she sets a better example for her parents (and her brothers). :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Can we? Yes.
Should we? No.
Do we? Yes.

Remember that the moral tenets of Christianity point to the ideal we strive for YET no where in the bible is this ideal guaranteed just because one is a Christian.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I almost never swear. Course it's wrong. I only unleash a word if I get extremely angry, so if I let go an F bomb, it's kind of an intense pressure release that seems necessary for a special expression of it. :lol: In our house, it is forbidden. A challenge is, with our teenage boys, foul language is everywhere. Unless extreme, I don't try to censor movies or whatever, as if I took that approach, why would I ever send them to public schools where potty mouths are everywhere? But I tell them, as Christians, we are to be different and clean of speech - not perfect, but intentional in our behavior, character and language. The words that really bother me profane the Lord.