University in Texas opens prayer room for Muslims

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: University in Texas opens prayer room for Muslims

Post by edwardmurphy »

Kurieuo wrote:I think you're ignoring the part about telling Mum and Dad you're now a Muslim. Any kind of denial of Christ, in my opinion, is off limits and would be literally be blasphemy. A Christian college encouraging such?

Of course I was - it's trivial. We're talking about an optional assignment in an elective course at the college level. If it was mandatory for the class, or required for graduation, or being forced on elementary school kids then you'd have a legitimate beef, but it's none of those things, so who gives a damn?
Kurieuo wrote:If you can't see an agenda, think it a "your values" thing so-be-it, as though your "decency" standard means anything to me, you really don't have any high moral ground here -- just your ground.

My position is that the folks at McMurry University get to make up their own minds and outside groups don't get a vote and should mind their own business. Do you disagree?
Kurieuo wrote:I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't give two $h!ts about Christ like yourself to really understand, so why bother responding to something that is clearly a Christian issue?
You're right, K. I don't give two [poops] about Christ and I don't understand why you're freaking out. But how is this a Christian issue? It seems to me that we have a McMurry U issue that's really nobody elses' business, a TCU issue that's really nobody elses' issue, and a kerfuffle in Iowa that has nothing to do with Christians.
Nessa wrote:It seems to me the real point edward is trying to make is that its only fair that paying muslims get their room. Fairness and equality.
I'm not thinking "fair" so much as "not needlessly, pointlessly stupid and unreasonable."
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Ed wrote:
K wrote:I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't give two $h!ts about Christ like yourself to really understand, so why bother responding to something that is clearly a Christian issue?
You're right, K. I don't give two [poops] about Christ and I don't understand why you're freaking out. But how is this a Christian issue? It seems to me that we have a McMurry U issue that's really nobody elses' business, a TCU issue that's really nobody elses' issue, and a kerfuffle in Iowa that has nothing to do with Christians.
Let me understand this freaking out stuff. You think because I use strong language, that I'm freaking out? You'd be quite poor in conversation with my brother, if you're freaking out thinking I'm freaking out just because I use strong words. I"ll let you retire to your safe space, this time. :wave:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

edwardmurphy wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:If you can't see an agenda, think it a "your values" thing so-be-it, as though your "decency" standard means anything to me, you really don't have any high moral ground here -- just your ground.

My position is that the folks at McMurry University get to make up their own minds and outside groups don't get a vote and should mind their own business. Do you disagree?
Yes, they should, just like cake makers. But, Christians are well-entitled as Christians to call in question exactly what the substance of their "Christianity" is as a "Christian" college when they take exercises so far anti-Christian and pro-Islam unto a psuedo-declaration of being Muslim to family.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

edwardmurphy wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:I think you're ignoring the part about telling Mum and Dad you're now a Muslim. Any kind of denial of Christ, in my opinion, is off limits and would be literally be blasphemy. A Christian college encouraging such?

Of course I was - it's trivial. We're talking about an optional assignment in an elective course at the college level. If it was mandatory for the class, or required for graduation, or being forced on elementary school kids then you'd have a legitimate beef, but it's none of those things, so who gives a damn?

Kurieuo wrote:I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't give two $h!ts about Christ like yourself to really understand, so why bother responding to something that is clearly a Christian issue?
Nessa wrote:It seems to me the real point edward is trying to make is that its only fair that paying muslims get their room. Fairness and equality.
I'm not thinking "fair" so much as "not needlessly, pointlessly stupid and unreasonable."
ok, so then why did you bring up the whole gay cake issue if you arent driving home the point of fairness and equality?

Edit: Sorry, thought the cake was brought up on this thread...
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Kurieuo wrote:Matter of decency, seems like stupidity would make it such a matter.

Yes, if a Muslim doesn't like the "Christianisation" that makes the college a "Christian" college, then they should go elsewhere. Should a pro-gay group accept Christians who think homosexuality is a sin as a matter of decency? Sounds ridiculous to me.

Special groups are just that. It is a form of tolerance to allow them their beliefs and practices. Is it not a Christian school? Would you expect a Christian church to have a place for Muslims too if they decided to attend? No, and what I read was being required of students was more than a special praying area for Muslim students at a Christian college.
“You can also invite your friends to join in this visit,” the syllabus states. “… If you do not attend the mosque, you will not be able to do the quiz and as you know, there is not make-up for quizzes.”
Sounds like a liberal agenda is under afoot, the same one that the last presidency kept supporting.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

The Kid: Sounds like a liberal agenda is under afoot, the same one that the last presidency kept supporting.
Well, as it is a SECULAR university, how could they be excluded? Would you have the secular humanists running many universities ban Christian prayer on campus (yes, it's been tried). See how this works?

We must remember, we are not living in a theocracy. Our laws are based upon a sense of individual freedom to practice whatever as long as you cause no harm to others. So, upon what basis are we to stop whatever inclusiveness that is legal? Do you believe in our laws of individual freedoms or not? But that's not to say some things assumed that should be (or currently are) a right actually should be - as such would necessarily encroach upon the rights of others.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Where did you read it was secular? We are talking about a Christian institution.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Where did you read it was secular? We are talking about a Christian institution.
5 bucks says Philip thought it was the University of Texas, instead of a University in Texas.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

5 bucks? I'll raise you 1 doe. y#-o
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

You win - thought it was UOT. Sorry!

Private Christian school - or chartered as such - VERY bad. They need to decide what and who they truly are. But a lot of schools started off as Christian-founded.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Sounds like a liberal agenda is under afoot, the same one that the last presidency kept supporting.
Really? How so?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Though I wouldn't necessarily label it "liberal" (while such a term has become part of convention to define certain positions), nonetheless here's just one way started mid-20th century after WWII: UNESCO ITS PURPOSE AND ITS PHILOSOPHY

You might also want to read Julian Huxley's book Religion without Revelation (I'm sure you'll like it Ed) where in he writes:
  • The supernatural is being swept out of the universe in the flood of new knowledge of what is natural. It will soon be as impossible for an intelligent, educated man or woman to believe in a god as it is now to believe the earth is flat, that flies can be spontaneously generated... or that death is always due to witchcraft... The god hypothesis is no longer of any pragmatic value for the interpretation or comprehension of nature, and indeed often stands in the way of better and truer interpretation. Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire cat. (Religion without Revelation, 1957)
How far society has come, eh? Where many now believe such. Huxley was named "Humanist of the Year" by the American Humanist Association (AHA), their motto is "Good without God".

Surely, you're not so naive to think your beliefs and opinions are purely unguided, that you're some kind of free thinker whereas anyone who believes in God are so due to complete brainwashing? Powerful Humanist organisations have been pushing their agendas for next to a century now and has thoroughly seeped into Western-European education systems.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

To draw out some points in Huxley's charter for UNESCO:
  • He clearly defines that UNESCO "must serve the ends and objects of the United Nations, which in the long perspective are world ends, ends for humanity as a whole." (p.5)
  • He states that human peace and security can only be achieved through humanism. In particular saying that UNESCO "cannot base its outlook on one of the competing theologies of the world as against the others, whether Islam, Roman Catholoicism, Protestant Christianity, Buddhists, Unitarianism, Judaism, or Hinduism." (p7)
  • Huxley (UNESCO) believe such is only possible via "a world humanism, both in the sense of seeking to bring in all the peoples of the world...". He goes onto define the true humanism that everyone should adopt as being a scientific world humanism, global in extent and evolutionary in background.
Yes, how far society has come in embracing such principles, even in Christian education institutions.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

edwardmurphy wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Sounds like a liberal agenda is under afoot, the same one that the last presidency kept supporting.
Really? How so?
Islam is spreading through the US. The left wanted them in (I see why though, many are in poverty), people are reading and encouraged to read the Koran. When the radical Muslims attacked cities Obama hardly spoke against them, from what I saw.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Kurieuo wrote:Though I wouldn't necessarily label it "liberal" (while such a term has become part of convention to define certain positions), nonetheless here's just one way started mid-20th century after WWII: UNESCO ITS PURPOSE AND ITS PHILOSOPHY

You might also want to read Julian Huxley's book Religion without Revelation (I'm sure you'll like it Ed) where in he writes:
  • The supernatural is being swept out of the universe in the flood of new knowledge of what is natural. It will soon be as impossible for an intelligent, educated man or woman to believe in a god as it is now to believe the earth is flat, that flies can be spontaneously generated... or that death is always due to witchcraft... The god hypothesis is no longer of any pragmatic value for the interpretation or comprehension of nature, and indeed often stands in the way of better and truer interpretation. Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire cat. (Religion without Revelation, 1957)
How far society has come, eh? Where many now believe such. Huxley was named "Humanist of the Year" by the American Humanist Association (AHA), their motto is "Good without God".

Surely, you're not so naive to think your beliefs and opinions are purely unguided, that you're some kind of free thinker whereas anyone who believes in God are so due to complete brainwashing? Powerful Humanist organisations have been pushing their agendas for next to a century now and has thoroughly seeped into Western-European education systems.
I don't want to sound like a nutjob but I actually see this as paving the way for the Antichrist. He'll claim to be God, and seeing how he is the most powerful human, people will accept him and make hero-worship. God of the heavens will be largely ignored until it's too late.