Is Jesus ruling now?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Is Jesus ruling now?

Post by Nessa »

Satan has power and is ruling on earth (with permission from God) but he does not have complete control. I see it similar to Job, and God handing him over to satan. There were still boundaries.

One day Jesus will have complete rule on earth.
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

Nessa wrote:Satan has power and is ruling on earth (with permission from God) but he does not have complete control. I see it similar to Job, and God handing him over to satan. There were still boundaries.

One day Jesus will have complete rule on earth.
Satan does currently have some power on earth, but his power has been limited since Jesus conquered sin, death, and yes... Satan.

Satan does have some power on earth.
But Satan is not ruling on earth.
"Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world"

I don't think we fully appreciate the incredible victory that Jesus accomplished with his death and resurrection.
Jesus conquered sin
Jesus conquered death
Jesus conquered Satan
All authority in heaven and on earth has already been given to the Resurrected Jesus.

Shortly before Jesus went to the cross, he said this.
John 12:31-32
31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up[g] from the earth, will draw all people to myself.
Jesus has already established his Kingdom on the earth, but that Kingdom is not yet complete.
When Jesus returns and heaven and earth are brought together in the New Heaven/New Earth, then Satan will be banished and Jesus' Kingdom will be complete.

Our God Reigns!
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

There is a difference between ruling and have complete rule and power.

Hes the prince of this world.

John 14:30
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
DBowling wrote: Yes

Right now Jesus is in Heaven ruling at the right hand of God.
In the future Jesus will return to earth and rule from earth.
actually, Christ is now sitting at the right Hand of God. He will return later, and will rule earth when He returns.
Jenna,

Is that a literal seat Christ is sitting in? Does God have a literal right hand?

:lol:
this is not the topic, not the time or place. shut up and move on rick.
She just told me to shut up. I'm soooo hurt! :crying: :crying: :crying:
Maybe you should report it to a Moderator. Do you know one?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Nessa wrote:There is a difference between ruling and have complete rule and power.

I agree.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Nessa wrote:There is a difference between ruling and have complete rule and power.

Does John 14 take place before or after Jesus Death and Resurrection?

I totally agree that Satan was the 'prince of this world' at the time of John 14.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Christian2 wrote:
RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:
jenna wrote: actually, Christ is now sitting at the right Hand of God. He will return later, and will rule earth when He returns.
Jenna,

Is that a literal seat Christ is sitting in? Does God have a literal right hand?

:lol:
this is not the topic, not the time or place. shut up and move on rick.
She just told me to shut up. I'm soooo hurt! :crying: :crying: :crying:
Maybe you should report it to a Moderator. Do you know one?
All the mods here are on Jenna's side. Noooobody looooves me! :crying:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Satan DOES rule on earth - over those who choose rebellion and who do not recognize Jesus as Lord. So, by default, their prince IS Satan. He has no ultimate power over God's children, over those who would resist him and turn to Jesus.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Philip wrote:Satan DOES rule on earth - over those who choose rebellion and who do not recognize Jesus as Lord. So, by default, their prince IS Satan. He has no ultimate power over God's children, over those who would resist him and turn to Jesus.
As you point out Satan does rule some people on earth.
There is no disagreement there

The OP asks "Is Jesus ruling now?"
And as Scripture clearly points out... after his Resurrection, all authority over heaven and earth was given to Jesus.
Satan has no authority over Jesus on earth.
Jesus does have authority over Satan on earth
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

One of the views behind the whole "satan ruling" thing goes back to the nations being divided between the 70 sons of God.
The Prince of Persia mentioned in the Book of Daniel ( the one that Michael had to help out the angle to overcome) is one of those.
God allowed His Sons to rule, on His behalf, these nations ( except Israel) until that time came that ALL would return to God's rule.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Christian2 wrote:Is Jesus ruling now or will He rule in the future at the end times?

Thanks.
Yes, I believe Jesus is reigning, since Pentecost.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Jesus is ruling and reigning just from heaven though for now but Satan's influence is still in the world.Satan is limited until the tribulation period until Jesus returns and reigns on the earth and Satan is bound so he cannot interfere.Like PaulSacramento touched on there are powerful principality demons over nations that influence evil in our world,they are called princes in the bible like the Prince of Persia which would be Iran. Or Gog the chief Prince of Meshech and Tabul.I wonder which one is over America.Jesus gave us the authority to bind these and to pull down strong holds.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jesus' kingdom has already come, including on earth. (Mark 9:1) His kingdom is in our midst now as far as I see matters.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kurieuo wrote:Jesus' kingdom has already come, including on earth. (Mark 9:1) His kingdom is in our midst now as far as I see matters.
Do you think with the transfiguration Jesus was using it to show them what it would look like when he returns?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Jesus' kingdom has already come, including on earth. (Mark 9:1) His kingdom is in our midst now as far as I see matters.
Do you think with the transfiguration Jesus was using it to show them what it would look like when he returns?
No.

God's glory was revealed, as was a little of Jesus' own divine nature. The words spoken were clearly to strengthen the Apostles' faith in Jesus, especially given He was to be put the death. Jews had very little understanding of a dying Messiah who'd die and rise again and be glorified, rather they believed their messiah would set them free, re-take control of their land and then rule/reign over the kingdom.

To elaborate further, on what I believe the chain of events are... if we go by Jewish thinking re: the kingdom (minus their misunderstanding of the type of Messiah expected), then it equally stands to reason that when Jesus triumphed over sin and death that the gates of His kingdom were open for us to enter into and be saved. Jesus' kingdom isn't here or there, but rather wherever we who belong to Him are and God's will being done (i.e., "in our midst" - Luke 17:21). Jesus' disciples saw the kingdom come which was promised by Christ (Mark 9:1) on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapters 1 & 2). Jesus reigns right now, until all those who oppose Him are made his "footstool". (Acts 2:34-35) His kingdom is comprised of all those who believe in Him. (Acts 2:38-39)

Yet, evidently Christ's Kingdom is yet to be fully established in righteousness. Why not now if He reigns now? The full number of people haven't yet come in, so by His grace and love the world is allowed to go on as it was. Even Satan, the enemy is allowed to continue in the knowledge he's been defeated in his plan to have everyone lost to God. Then, once the full number has come in, Christ will return and the heavens and earth will wrap up. God will then judge everyone, separate the goats from the sheep (Matthew 25:31–46).

In Jesus' parable of the wheat and weeds (Matthew 13:24-30), we see the enemy is allowed to plant weeds among us. The workers ask the farmer whether to uproot the weeds, and the farmer responds (paraphrasing), "no, you'll uproot some wheat also, let them grow together until harvest." Then at harvest the weeds are tied together and burnt, and the wheat gathered into the barn.

Similarly, those not found in Christ will stand on their own before God's judgement and be condemned for their sins. Then all beings, angelic or human, who rejected the King will be eternally cast out from His Kingdom, while those who are allowed to remain within will I likely think have their own accounting to Christ, Yet, unlike God's final judgement no one will be cast out of the kingdom or thrown into the Lake of Fire (though I understand some believe such is only reserves for fallen angels). Rather in Jesus honour will be bestowed more or less to those who believed in Christ according to their lived life.

Now perhaps, when the Kingdom is fully established, a new heavens and Earth will be set up or re-established. Perhaps a physical paradise of sorts that will be lasting without death, pain and suffering (Rev 21:4). Then again, perhaps such is more of a spiritual plain -- we'll be "in heaven" in the presence of God's glory with new imperishable bodies. I don't know, Scripture could lend itself to both. I don't think such is really that important, the main thing is we have been reunited with God thanks to our Lord. And, we will be with united with God more fully in the very end.

The question to us here and now, is whether or not we a standing in Jesus' kingdom right now? Do accept Him as our Lord, indeed the Lord. If we believe in Him, then we should stand firmly on His promise that we are forgiven, made clean and stand in His kingdom. So then our purpose as Christians, ultimately is to carry out God's good will, do our Lord's bidding, be His hands and feet, go to and defend the sick, poor and outcast, lead others to Him.