Trump vs "The Media"

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Trump vs "The Media"

Post by DBowling »

From a Quinnipiac Poll published on Feb 22, 2017
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-de ... aseID=2431

President Trump and the Media
A total of 90 percent of American voters say it is "very important" or "somewhat important" "that the news media hold public officials accountable."

Voters disapprove 50 - 45 percent of the way the news media has covered Trump.
But voters disapprove 61 - 35 percent of the way Trump talks about the media.

And voters trust the media more than Trump 52 - 37 percent "to tell you the truth about important issues."

"The media, so demonized by the Trump Administration, is actually a good deal more popular than President Trump," Malloy said.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Trump vs "The Media"

Post by RickD »

:pound:

Citing polls to discredit Trump.

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote: Citing polls to discredit Trump.
Yup...

I always try my best to support my assertions with data...
Trump's disregard for data (as well as that of some of his supporters) won't cause me to change that...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

How'd those presidential election polls work out for ya?

Polls show Hillary winning easily!!

24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Give the guy a chance!

Be thankful we didn't get the alternative!

-Edward R Murrow

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote:How'd those presidential election polls work out for ya?

The polls approaching election day showed Hillary leading the popular vote by around 2 points.
And Hillary won the popular vote by around 2 points.

The assertion that the polls were totally wrong is yet another Trumpian myth.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote:Give the guy a chance!
I have publicly supported both Pence and Gorsuch on these boards.
I think I even noted that Trump appears to be surrounding himself with some good people.
Be thankful we didn't get the alternative!
I don't know...
I'm still wishing that a real conservative like McMullin could have pulled off the big upset :P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DBowling wrote:
RickD wrote:How'd those presidential election polls work out for ya?

The polls approaching election day showed Hillary leading the popular vote by around 2 points.

The pollsters had Clinton winning the presidency. Period!

All I kept hearing was how Hillary was well in the lead.

Maybe the pollsters were correct, and the news media just got it horribly wrong in their reporting, and can't be trusted. Either way, your thread loses.

-Edward R Murrow

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote:
DBowling wrote: The polls approaching election day showed Hillary leading the popular vote by around 2 points.

The pollsters had Clinton winning the presidency. Period!

All I kept hearing was how Hillary was well in the lead.

Maybe the pollsters were correct, and the news media just got it horribly wrong in their reporting, and can't be trusted. Either way, your thread loses.
This is very easy to 'fact-check'.
Check out the Realclear Politics average of popular vote polls.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html

The RealClear Politics average of polls was Clinton +3.2
The Election Results were Clinton +2.1
The polls differential was within 1.1 of the actual differential.
That's what the data says.

Facts do matter.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

The point of your thread is that polls show the media is trusted more than Trump.

As we saw from the election, either the polls were horribly wrong, the media reporting the polls was horribly wrong, or both were wrong.

Looks like your thread is self-refuting.
:mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote:The point of your thread is that polls show the media is trusted more than Trump.

As we saw from the election, either the polls were horribly wrong, the media reporting the polls was horribly wrong, or both were wrong.
What is wrong is your logic :P

I have shown hard evidence to refute the assertion that polls are invalid where Trump and/or the election are concerned.
The polls regarding the outcome of the General Election popular vote were accurate.
Therefore, there is no reason to suspect that Quinnipiac poll regarding the trustworthiness of Trump vs the Media is inaccurate.

And I did site the Quinnipiac poll directly, as opposed to any Media representation of the poll.

Facts do matter.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DBowling wrote:
RickD wrote:The point of your thread is that polls show the media is trusted more than Trump.

What is wrong is your logic :P

I have shown hard evidence to refute the assertion that polls are invalid where Trump and/or the election are concerned.
The polls regarding the outcome of the General Election popular vote were accurate.
Therefore, there is no reason to suspect that Quinnipiac poll regarding the trustworthiness of Trump vs the Media is inaccurate.

And I did site the Quinnipiac poll directly, as opposed to any Media representation of the poll.

Facts do matter.
Ok, let's assume you are correct, and the polls that had Clinton ahead, were only popular vote polls. Then it's the media that can't be trusted. Did you forget how virtually all news channels said that the only way Trump could win, was if there was some kind of miracle, and Trump took states that virtually nobody thought he could take?

I distinctly remember all major news networks saying that Clinton had about as much of a chance to lose the election, as the Falcons would lose the super bowl when they were up 28-3.

Since the news media was handing the presidency to Clinton, then they were horribly wrong, and misleading. Which leads to credibility issues with the media. In other words, THE MEDIA CANNOT BE TRUSTED!

And your thread fails as miserably as the Falcons did in the 4th quarter.

:wave:

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Two biggest media lies about the election:

- Trump voters are mostly racist and haters of immigrants, misogynists, right wing nuts.

- The Russians stole the election with leaks.

Millions that could not stand Hillary per her left-leaning ideals, still couldn't personally stand things about Trump, decided not to vote at all. If forced, they would have voted for Trump. Millions of others still had the same issues with Trump, but nonetheless despised Hillary's ideals and values FAR more. But both groups of people liked many things Trump was saying, even if they didn't personally care for him.

- Whatever leaks, from whatever source - all they did was to re-enforce what people already couldn't stand about Hillary - as the leaks just gave them even more reason to vote against her - or, if a Democrat, to stay home and not vote. IF the leaks had an impact, what they actually did was to pull back the curtain on things that would otherwise been unknown, but which just further cemented the high negatives many people thought of her. So, it wasn't the leaks, but what they actually contained, that might well have had an impact. No one asserting the Russians stole our election seems to ever talk about what the leaks actually revealed- as those probably did hurt her more.

On one hand I think a reasonable-sounding conservative pressing many of the same issues Trump did, would have ended in a Republican landslide. The difference is, Trump, the double-edged sword, aggressively said a WHOLE lost more that people identified with than some mild-mannered Republican likely would have. Trumps brashness on certain key issues are the reasons why he won - he had the brass balls to say things that needed saying, but that the "conservative lites" had failed to. Course, Trump's big mouth also said a lot of stupid stuff - which is where the left and the press focuses. But they fail to address the things issues that resonates so powerfully with the heartland and those out of the liberal/progressive-leaning cities. It may have taken a brash, crude New Yorker to bring down the left and progressives. Now let's see if all the brash talk translates into smart governing and healthy changes. We'll see. We all should pray so!

Let's be clear, however wrong the majority of the media was or wasn't, undoubtedly most of them were for Hillary and anti-Trump - that's unquestionable! But they bet on the wrong horse.

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote:
DBowling wrote: I have shown hard evidence to refute the assertion that polls are invalid where Trump and/or the election are concerned.

Ok, let's assume you are correct, and the polls that had Clinton ahead, were only popular vote polls. Then it's the media that can't be trusted.
I don't think either myself or the poll is claiming that the media is trustworthy.
I don't trust the media.
But I trust Trump even less than I trust the media.

And according to Quinnipiac, a majority of Americans agree with me.
I distinctly remember all major news networks saying that Clinton had about as much of a chance to lose the election, as the Falcons would lose the super bowl when they were up 28-3.
I would blame that particular collapse more on Hillary than I would on the Media.
I don't think you would blame the media for predicting that the Falcons would win at the half.
(I even changed channels at the half... and was shocked when I turned back to see what the final score was)

I would place Hillary's fourth quarter collapse right up there with the Falcon's fourth quarter collapse. :esurprised:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DBowling wrote:
And according to Quinnipiac, a majority of Americans agree with me.
1,323 people polled gives an accurate representation of 323 million Americans?

The poll represents less than .0005% of Americans!

In other news, one American in prison, was asked if he likes prepubescent boys. He said yes! Therefore the majority of American men, like prepubescent boys!

-Edward R Murrow