Perported Roots of Christianity

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Floatingaxehead
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Perported Roots of Christianity

Post by Floatingaxehead »

As a believer going into a subject dominated by people who adamantly assert there is no God, I always desire to know an answer to any question presented before me about why I believe there is a god. While anecdotal evidence is not hard to come by, it isn't great for logical discussions where the validity of it is not known. As a result, going and doing quite a bit of research on things from the Age of the Earth to evolution has been my habit for a while. Not too long ago, I thought I had quite a bit of answers after comparing the logic of websites ranging from ICM to Logicalwiki to this site here. I have read a good amount of IDHEFTBAA, analyzed Lowder's incomplete rebuttal, and some C. S. Lewis gave me supplemental answers to other, less science-based, questions. However, recently one of my Sikh friends posted on Facebook an article about Morgan Freeman claiming that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all originated from one distinct ancient religion: Zoroastrianism. As I have never heard about it before, I set out to first see just what it is, and the similarities, at first, are troubling: A single god, associated strongly with fire, a heaven and a hell, as well as the Messianism (idea of a coming redeemer/renewer) that can also be found as a concept in a few other ancient religions. Though there are some obvious deviations, I feel a need to fully understand how the two distinct religions are unrelated in their origins and how Zoroastrianism isn't a good replacement for Christian belief.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Perported Roots of Christianity

Post by PaulSacramento »

The differences between Christianity and Zoroastrianism are HUGE and if you don't know that maybe you need ot educate yourself BEFORE debating/discussing these things with non-believers.
bbyrd009
BANNED
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by bbyrd009 »

gimme a Zoroastrian practicing righteousness over a Christian practicing religion any day :)
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

Floatingaxehead wrote:As a believer going into a subject dominated by people who adamantly assert there is no God, I always desire to know an answer to any question presented before me about why I believe there is a god. While anecdotal evidence is not hard to come by, it isn't great for logical discussions where the validity of it is not known. As a result, going and doing quite a bit of research on things from the Age of the Earth to evolution has been my habit for a while. Not too long ago, I thought I had quite a bit of answers after comparing the logic of websites ranging from ICM to Logicalwiki to this site here. I have read a good amount of IDHEFTBAA, analyzed Lowder's incomplete rebuttal, and some C. S. Lewis gave me supplemental answers to other, less science-based, questions. However, recently one of my Sikh friends posted on Facebook an article about Morgan Freeman claiming that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all originated from one distinct ancient religion: Zoroastrianism. As I have never heard about it before, I set out to first see just what it is, and the similarities, at first, are troubling: A single god, associated strongly with fire, a heaven and a hell, as well as the Messianism (idea of a coming redeemer/renewer) that can also be found as a concept in a few other ancient religions. Though there are some obvious deviations, I feel a need to fully understand how the two distinct religions are unrelated in their origins and how Zoroastrianism isn't a good replacement for Christian belief.
"Love believes all things," so imo i wouldn't get too hung up on the window-dressing, but there are a few good comparos online that i would think would serve you better than listening to me, anyway...the (3) "wise men" were surely Zoroastrians.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

Floatingaxehead
Acquainted Member

Post by Floatingaxehead »

Took bbyrd009's advice; I should have done a google search before asking for answers. I found a few good sites, and as noted by PaulSacramento the differences are pretty large. Not only that, many of the modern basis of it's religion don't seem as ancient as the wikipedia article would imply (which stated that it could have been the origins of a lot of other ancient Asian religions, including Brahmanism) and it isn't unreasonable to assume that much about the religion was borrowed from the Hebrew and Christian faiths.
sites checked: www.tektonics.org/copycat/zoroaster.php
http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Mithr ... anism.html
http://www.meta-religion.com/Philosophy ... christ.htm
"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."
Colossians 2:8, NIV
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Floatingaxehead wrote:Took bbyrd009's advice; I should have done a google search before asking for answers. I found a few good sites, and as noted by PaulSacramento the differences are pretty large. Not only that, many of the modern basis of it's religion don't seem as ancient as the wikipedia article would imply (which stated that it could have been the origins of a lot of other ancient Asian religions, including Brahmanism) and it isn't unreasonable to assume that much about the religion was borrowed from the Hebrew and Christian faiths.
sites checked: http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/zoroaster.php
http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Mithr ... anism.html
http://www.meta-religion.com/Philosophy ... christ.htm

In the future though if/when Christianity is brought up an easy thing to remember is ALL other religions teach works for salvation,better karma in the next life,etc in order to be justified,while Christianity is the only religion that teaches that nobody no matter what they do can save their self,justify their self,etc and it is only through Jesus and what he did for us that we can be saved,justified,etc enough to go to heaven. In other words only Christianity teaches this and it is unique among all religions. As a matter of fact,works for salvation is an easy way to know you're dealing with a false religion. Therefore there is noway Christianity borrowed from any other religion. Religious people are wasting their time if they neglect their faith in Jesus.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.