Hillsong

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Hillson

Post by B. W. »

+

Good to see Melanie's avatar picture smiling again!

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:+

-
-
-
Smiling, yes. But by God, it sure looks like an evil smile. Like how she would smile after she put
Marmite in place of vegemite, in her hubby's sammich!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Hillsong

Post by Kurieuo »

Looks to me like she's riding a pony. :econfused:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote:

-
-
-
Smiling, yes. But by God, it sure looks like an evil smile. Like how she would smile after she put
I'm afraid Marmite is nicer - it's sweeter.
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

melanie wrote:I think a distinction needs to be made between what is okay in regards to music, what personally lifts us to God and the detrimental aspects of a 'church'.
There are some songs on commercial radio that to me mean something spriitual. The lyrics touch me and I exhalt that meaning in praise to God.
Some of my favourite hymns I learnt through my Cathoilic schooling, and whilst I don't adhere to Catholicism, those hymns remain an integral part of my worship.
I also grew up listening to Hillsong and actually owned a few CDs. Again I can take away some fabulous songs, with uplifting lyrics of praise and worship but at the same time balancing an understanding that the church itself, Assemblies of God was and is a 'church' that is flawed. In my opinion, flawed extensively. From its pastors to its practices.
Music I believe was a very influencal, pivotal marketing point of the 'church'. As is seen in Hillsong.

That doesn mean it isn't without value, for God makes His path straight even within the most crooked of means. If it brings you joy and you exalt the lyrics to God then there is nothing at all wrong with that.
How do you see the AOG as flawed? The same sorts of things Kurieuo mentioned?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nicki wrote:
RickD wrote:

-
-
-
I'm afraid Marmite is nicer - it's sweeter.
Good luck getting an Aussie to admit their precious vegemite isn't as good as marmite!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

We love you Mel - your are our Forum sister we like to tease because you tease back y@};-
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Surely, K???
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

When I listen to Hillsong, I usually listen to this:

I prefer songs on Latin/Slavic/Germanic language, though.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

IceMobster: When I listen to Hillsong, I usually listen to this:

Ice, as someone who doesn't identify as being a Christian, you seem very enamored with Christ. IS He drawing YOU???!!!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

If I were to put the #1 issue with Hillsong and AoG, many Pentecostal churches, especially within what I know goes on at the top with pride of pastors, competitiveness to grow their congregations and what-not, it's found in the church of Laodiceans in Revelation 3:14-18.

Further, they preach and pray that the Word of God will spread to others, pray for revival, and do have certain missions in such respect. But, by far, the majority of people in such congregations are vacant towards any spiritual responsibility. Yes, pray for rival, sing it, pray for change in your country, pray for the sick, pray for people to come to Christ, pray for this and that, put all on the onus on God. Yes, such songs can be uplifting, but then you're always asking to be filled, rather than filled enough to help and bless others.

The one sin I've struggled with, due to my upbringing in such churches, is this worldly complacency of sorts. Breaking out of the mould of the world, which has your vision set upon education, getting a job, having a family, achieving a good home and level of wealth and comfort, hopefully being able to retire and enjoy your old years until death. Meanwhile around the other areas of the world, Christians in the Church of Smyrna suffer. (Revelation 2:8-10) Rather than, setting one's eyes upon Christ-centred responsibilities, such Western churches, many churches and this desire for "experience, experience, experience", "feeling God" spirituality, well-intentioned, spiritually uplifting, but then what? One gets up, goes to work, school in their largely safe society, or whatever they do, hides their faith under a rock from others they know don't believe, live their life like any person who doesn't believe, and then comes back to God in their church perhaps feeling sorry for failing again and again, wanting to feel His personal touch and be uplifted again.

Meanwhile, those at the top play their own church games, other pastors and leaders around the world, growing their churches, rather than nurturing those within to full spiritual maturity. They love the money and lifestyle such gives them, "God doesn't want us to be poor but to prosper." They love feeling like the ones God is using to reach others, church-sponsored missions and the like. And, they do nothing to lift many individual Christians up in their congregations to break free from conforming to the world, but rather enable them to do so, living fulfilling lives with Christian beliefs according to the patterns of the world, preaching messages of healing, prosperity and giving to the church.

Romans 12:2
  • And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
This thought is left at the door, and replaced by a lifelong searching after asking God to make something of their lives, to move in their lives, use them as a vessel. Rather than, actually taking responsibility over the socks they'll wear in their lives, the actions they take, being proactive and doing something as God's hands and feet. Paul encourages us to take responsibility to seek out and do the will of God, rather than merely pray and wait for it.

PS. If there's one thing I've found hard for myself to break, it's the pattern of the world. The weight of such lays heavily on my shoulders, so I perhaps see it so quickly and clearly in churches. And, I too pray, I'll be able to break it. I have familial responsibilities, and they push me to the brink, yet at the same to I really despise the complacency and conforming to the pattern of the world that I find myself feeling trapped within. But, the buck stops with me and Christ will hold me accountable.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Kurieuo wrote:If I were to put the #1 issue with Hillsong and AoG, many Pentecostal churches, especially within what I know goes on at the top with pride of pastors, competitiveness to grow their congregations and what-not, it's found in the church of Laodiceans in Revelation 3:14-18.

Further, they preach and pray that the Word of God will spread to others, pray for revival, and do have certain missions in such respect. But, by far, the majority of people in such congregations are vacant towards any spiritual responsibility. Yes, pray for rival, sing it, pray for change in your country, pray for the sick, pray for people to come to Christ, pray for this and that, put all on the onus on God. Yes, such songs can be uplifting, but then you're always asking to be filled, rather than filled enough to help and bless others.

The one sin I've struggled with, due to my upbringing in such churches, is this worldly complacency of sorts. Breaking out of the mould of the world, which has your vision set upon education, getting a job, having a family, achieving a good home and level of wealth and comfort, hopefully being able to retire and enjoy your old years until death. Meanwhile around the other areas of the world, Christians in the Church of Smyrna suffer. (Revelation 2:8-10) Rather than, setting one's eyes upon Christ-centred responsibilities, such Western churches, many churches and this desire for "experience, experience, experience", "feeling God" spirituality, well-intentioned, spiritually uplifting, but then what? One gets up, goes to work, school in their largely safe society, or whatever they do, hides their faith under a rock from others they know don't believe, live their life like any person who doesn't believe, and then comes back to God in their church perhaps feeling sorry for failing again and again, wanting to feel His personal touch and uplifted again.

Meanwhile, those at the top play their own church games, other pastors and leaders around the world, growing their churches, rather than nurturing those within to full spiritual maturity. They love the money and lifestyle such gives them, "God doesn't want us to be poor but to prosper." They love feeling like the ones God is using to reach others. And, they do nothing to lift many individual Christians up in their congregations to break free from conforming to the world, but rather enable them to do so, living fulfilling lives with Christian beliefs according to the patterns of the world, preaching messages of healing, prosperity and giving to the church.

Romans 12:2
  • And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
This thought is left at the door, and replaced by a lifelong searching after asking God to make something of their lives, to move in their lives, use them as a vessel. Rather than, actually taking responsibility over the socks they'll wear in their lives, the actions they take, being proactive and doing something as God's hands and feet. Paul encourages us to take responsibility to seek out and do the will of God, rather than merely pray and wait for it.

PS. If there's one thing I've found hard for myself to break, it's the pattern of the world. The weight of such lays heavily on my shoulders, so I see it so quickly in such. And, I too pray, I'll be able to break it. I have familial responsibilities, and they push me to the brink, yet at the same to I really despise the complacency and conforming to the pattern of the world that I find myself feeling trapped within. But, the buck stops with me and Christ will hold me accountable.
That definitely sounds like me too - the getting up, going out and hiding one's faith etc - but I don't think the actual life pattern of job, family and so on is a bad thing in itself; it's quite Biblical on the whole. I think 'the pattern of this world' has got to refer to really living sinfully and self-centredly. I'm not sure what the answer is regarding being more proactive. My church supports a program for mothers and kids in the Philippines and we always have the option to give money towards that, and there are often talks at church about obeying God in various ways, but being a keep-to-myself sort of person I tend to do just that in my daily life - keep to myself. Beyond just living with integrity, talking about my faith when the subject comes up (not often) and volunteering with things sometimes I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Philip wrote:

Ice, as someone who doesn't identify as being a Christian, you seem very enamored with Christ. IS He drawing YOU???!!!
Hopefully. He ain't drawing hard enough, I guess. Or I am not ready. I don't know. It's a stalemate. :|
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Philip: Ice, as someone who doesn't identify as being a Christian, you seem very enamored with Christ. IS He drawing YOU???!!!
IceMobster: Hopefully. He ain't drawing hard enough, I guess. Or I am not ready. I don't know. It's a stalemate. :|
Ice, what do you see as your biggest concern, per what you know about Christ and Christianity? Is there some further understanding or information that you see as critical to you coming to faith?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote:

Must be meting the ice in Ice!
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb: