Understanding the Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Understanding the Trinity

Post by crochet1949 »

jenna wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:Okay -- so -- shall we continue? In the morning -- It's late where I am.
yes we can continue anytime you would like. :wave:
Sounds like a Great idea.

So -- if we can go back to the latest comment. The Holy Spirit's role in Mary's conception of Jesus Christ. And/ or God's role.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

crochet1949 wrote:Well -- yes, the power of the Highest working Through the Holy Spirit. "for that which is conceived in her Is of the Holy Spirit'."
yes, it is His power that caused her to conceive. again, the HS is the power God has to do the things He does.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jenna wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:Well -- yes, the power of the Highest working Through the Holy Spirit. "for that which is conceived in her Is of the Holy Spirit'."
yes, it is His power that caused her to conceive. again, the HS is the power God has to do the things He does.
Nope. Still not understanding.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Jenna -- what part of the Godhead comes to indwell each believer at the moment of their salvation?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

crochet1949 wrote:Jenna -- what part of the Godhead comes to indwell each believer at the moment of their salvation?
the holy spirit is given to them. but the holy spirit is not part of the Godhead.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Then -- why are people baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son and the Holy Spirit?

And, why is the Holy Spirit given to believers?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

crochet1949 wrote:Then -- why are people baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son and the Holy Spirit?

the holy spirit is given to believers. if it were a person or being within the Godhead, it would not be given, it would come to them of its own accord.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

I'm thinking my terminology was wrong. Lets' try 'this' -- Jesus Christ had to ascend back up to the Father in heaven so that the Holy Spirit could come to indwell believers. Jesus Christ could only be one place at a time -- in His human form -- as the Son -- teaching a group or individually. But He could Not be with each individual believer all the time. So the Son had done His 'job' and was returning to the Godhead so that the Holy Spirit could continue to do His job -- in the Old Testament, He would come and go from people. But in the New Testament -- He, the Holy Spirit, would be permanently indwelling each believer.

So -- the Holy Spirit was not Given - He came to fulfill his given responsibility in the Godhead.

Is This making sense?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

That is an excellent link. Thank you.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Crochet,

The terminology you used, saying the Holy Spirit is given, is perfectly acceptable.
Here's some examples from scripture, talking about The Holy Spirit being given:
https://www.openbible.info/topics/holy_spirit

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

jenna wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:Then -- why are people baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son and the Holy Spirit?

the holy spirit is given to believers. if it were a person or being within the Godhead, it would not be given, it would come to them of its own accord.
So my wife wasn't given to me in marriage?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Jac3510 wrote:
jenna wrote:

what does this have to do with the subject?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

crochet1949 wrote:I'm thinking my terminology was wrong. Lets' try 'this' -- Jesus Christ had to ascend back up to the Father in heaven so that the Holy Spirit could come to indwell believers. Jesus Christ could only be one place at a time -- in His human form -- as the Son -- teaching a group or individually. But He could Not be with each individual believer all the time. So the Son had done His 'job' and was returning to the Godhead so that the Holy Spirit could continue to do His job -- in the Old Testament, He would come and go from people. But in the New Testament -- He, the Holy Spirit, would be permanently indwelling each believer.

So -- the Holy Spirit was not Given - He came to fulfill his given responsibility in the Godhead.

Is This making sense?
actually, Christ did not have to ascend first, there are several instances where the hs was given to believers before Christ ascended.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

jenna wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
jenna wrote:

what does this have to do with the subject?
*shrug* I think it's obvious. If you don't, fine.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.