Light affliction

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
theophilus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Light affliction

Post by theophilus »

Paul wrote,
This light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:17-18 ESV
Later in the same letter he tells us what some of these light afflictions were.
Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one—I am talking like a madman—with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.
2 Corinthians 11:23-28 ESV
This letter was written before the shipwreck described in Acts 28, so Paul was shipwrecked at least four times during his life. It is possible that after the events recorded in Acts he experienced even more afflictions like the ones he describes here. Whatever happened to him, it didn’t change his attitude toward his suffering. Here is what he said in his final letter, written while he was in prison waiting for his execution.
For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
2 Timothy 4:6-8 ESV
He had not abandoned his belief that the glory which lay in his future made the sufferings of his present life worthwhile.

If the sufferings of a Christian prepare him for future glory, what effect do the pleasures of an unsaved person have? Suppose someone rejects God and lives solely for his own pleasure. He might live a life of happiness and success in everything he does, but when he comes to the end of his life he might say something like this: “This light momentary pleasure is preparing for me an eternal weight of judgment beyond all comparison.” The life we live now is only the starting point of an eternal existence. It is the most important part of our existence because the decisions we make now will have eternal consequences.

In the previous paragraph I spoke of eternal existence, not eternal life. Here is how Jesus defined eternal life.
And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
John 17:3 ESV
Those who have not turned from their sins and put their faith in Christ are already spiritually dead and if they continue in unbelief they will remain dead for all eternity.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Light affliction

Post by Audie »

Pauls story about a snakebite is an obvious fraud
theophilus
Valued Member

Post by theophilus »

Audie wrote:Pauls story about a snakebite is an obvious fraud
Why do you believe that and what does it have to do with this thread?
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

theophilus wrote:
It is relevant because it goes to the credibility of the self styled "apostle".

You have read the story and still believe it?

For a start, there are no poisonous snakes on the island.
He may as well have said he survived a shark attack in the desert.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Audie wrote:
theophilus wrote:
It is relevant because it goes to the credibility of the self styled "apostle".

You have read the story and still believe it?

For a start, there are no poisonous snakes on the island.
How exactly do you know what was or wasn't there 2,000 years ago?
Audie wrote:He may as well have said he survived a shark attack in the desert.
What if a shark fossil was discovered in the desert?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Acts doesn't say Paul landed on Malta. As a matter of fact, he landed on Mljet. And yes, there were poisonous snakes then (extremely fatal snakes at that--vipera ammodytes) as there are today. And if any are curious about the first sentence, the book of Acts simply does not say in any shape, form, or fashion that Malta is where Paul landed. The text says that Paul landed on an island called Μελίτη (Melite). If you are curious, the pronunciation for Mjlet is Melita--exactly as the Greek has it. There are nautical problems with the association of Paul with Malta, anyway.

For the curious, here's an article on the subject.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
bbyrd009
BANNED
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by bbyrd009 »

awesome reflections on Paul! This was a guy who left power, babes, massages, surely a mansion, etc, a six-figure income, basically, and chucked all that to go be on the run.

Paul's "snakebite" has a spiritual meaning, related to the Snake on a Pole worship, and Nehushtan being "broken up," imo. Couched in a beautiful story about getting snakebit on an island with no snakes, so everyone gets to read what they want, atheists get to read what they want, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if the Nautical problems could lead to solid, factual conclusions in that vein, either; like trying to prove that Nazareth existed into the first century, etc.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."