Fire breathing dragons and bombardier beetles

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
theophilus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Fire breathing dragons and bombardier beetles

Post by theophilus »

Most people believe dinosaurs became extinct before any humans existed, but many cultures have legends of creatures called dragons that closely resemble dinosaurs. This fact indicates that the extinction of dinosaurs must be very recent. (There are some who believe that there are still living dinosaurs. http://www.newanimal.org/dinosaurs.htm ) Some of these dragon legends speak of dragons that breath fire. Is it possible that such a creature actually existed? The best way to answer that question is to look at an animal that we know does exist, the bombardier beetle. Here is what Wikipedia says about it.
Bombardier beetles are ground beetles (Carabidae) in the tribes Brachinini, Paussini, Ozaenini, or Metriini—more than 500 species altogether—which are most notable for the defense mechanism that gives them their name: when disturbed, they eject a hot noxious chemical spray from the tip of their abdomen with a popping sound.

The spray is produced from a reaction between two chemical compounds, hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide, which are stored in two reservoirs in the beetle’s abdomen. When the aqueous solution of hydroquinones and hydrogen peroxide reaches the vestibule, catalysts facilitate the decomposition of the hydrogen peroxide and the oxidation of the hydroquinone. Heat from the reaction brings the mixture to near the boiling point of water and produces gas that drives the ejection. The damage caused can be fatal to attacking insects. Some bombardier beetles can direct the spray over a wide range of directions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle

Bombardier beetles defend themselves by expelling a hot liquid from their bodies. What if some dinosaurs had this ability but expelled the liquid from its nose or mouth? Because dinosaurs are much larger than beetles the amount of liquid would be much greater and if it landed on something flammable it might even be capable of starting a fire. To an observer it would appear that the dinosaur or dragon was breathing fire. Fire breathing dragons might not be a product of human imagination but something that actually did exist at one time.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Fire breathing dragons and bombardier beetles

Post by hughfarey »

I used to give seminars on the existence of dragons, loosely based on Peter Dickinson's book, "The Flight of Dragons", and because I was known as a science teacher, people usually came to think that they probably existed, complete with cave-dwelling, fire-breathing, gold-and-jewel hoarding, knight-in-armour fighting and princess eating, all of which were essential to its biological lifestyle. It was even possible to show that the complete absence of any dragon remains or fossils was in fact very good evidence for their existence. Sometimes it was quite hard to unconvince people in the bar afterwards...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I saw a really short Guatemalan today, so that means there's a pretty good chance that hobbits existed.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:I saw a really short Guatemalan today, so that means there's a pretty good chance that hobbits existed.
Short people jokes huh. Some day, somehow, when you least expect it, I will get you.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/T8SaaNlkNW4/maxresdefault.jpg
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:I saw a really short Guatemalan today, so that means there's a pretty good chance that hobbits existed.
Short people jokes huh. Some day, somehow, when you least expect it, I will get you.

Audie,

I'm 5'-5 1/2" tall. I can make short jokes. ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Audie,

I'm 5'-5 1/2" tall. I can make short jokes. ;)
Good, someone I can look up to for his high minded jokes.