Atheists: What would you say?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Nessa » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:07 pm

What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip


User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7923
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby B. W. » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



Great pains to hide???

Wow arrogance can only only be spelled one way...

Thank you for posting this Nessa as it reveals objectively what hubris means
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18097
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby RickD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:39 am

Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Audie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:08 am

RickD wrote:Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.



Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7923
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby B. W. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:22 am

Now, who does not like Hummus?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18097
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby RickD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:23 am

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.



Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".

I know what you mean Audie. If I were a self-avowed atheist, I'd be embarrassed by Dawkins too. :pound:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 am

Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7813
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:45 am

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken


Then he wouldn't be God Kenny.

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Nessa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken

Thought this thread would bring you back ;)

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Nessa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken

Thought this thread would bring you back ;)


What if He said to you I am the God of the bible...the Christian God?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:21 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken


Then he wouldn't be God Kenny.

Wouldn't that depend upon how you define God?

Ken

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken

Thought this thread would bring you back ;)

Don't tell me you miss ole obtuse Kenny! (LOL)

Ken

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:24 pm

Nessa wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken

Thought this thread would bring you back ;)


What if He said to you I am the God of the bible...the Christian God?

Then like Dawkins; I would probably ask why he remained hidden. I would then attempt to find out which (if any) of the various denominations got it right, and instead of getting the information from flawed people who write about God, I’d get my information from God himself.

Ken

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7813
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip



I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken


Then he wouldn't be God Kenny.

Wouldn't that depend upon how you define God?

Ken



No Ken.
A god can depend on a definition but THE God must be certain things or else He is NOT God.

That is what most skeptics don't understand and why they tend to define God in a way that can be "refuted", BUT if you understand what God is then you realize that He can NOT NOT exist and He "must" be certain things such as all powerful and all knowing and all loving and all righteous and so forth.

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Postby Nessa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Kenny wrote: Don't tell me you miss ole obtuse Kenny! (LOL)

Ken

Actually I do think of you from time to time and hope one of my threads or someone else's will inspire you to post your thoughts :esmile:


Return to “Questioning Non-belief”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests