Oregon College Shootings

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Oregon College Shootings

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kurieuo wrote:You said though, that if an intruder was there to harm you or your family, that you'd shoot to kill rather than injure because you wouldn't want to be sued afterwards?

I didn't mean to offend. Really, I don't think if it came down to it, that many here (as much as they even own a gun for protection) would pull that trigger to kill. I know you guys are strong Christians, and as such would imagine we would all have a similar strong inner conflict in that moment.

You did'nt offend me you just misunderstand me.I get the impression you think I'm ready to shoot and kill somebody for being mean to me. I'm not advocating violence only self defense to repel violence.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

ACB, the last thing I want to do is upset you or anyone else here who owns a gun. :P
Think I'll take a breather. The discussion has gone a bit sideways from the original issue.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Nessa wrote:We have the misunderstanding about guns and self defence or do you?
I am not judging you, I just dont agree with how you see guns and how you see your enemy regarding this situation.

I am not saying that you are gun happy or loveless with your enemies. We all have areas where we struggle to love certain people
What do you mean by love your enemies? Because it seems to me that you are thinking that you cannot defend yourself because you must love your enemies but,if this is so? You are stretching this verse way out of praportion to think like you do. I do love my enemies and I have forgiveness in my heart and I've prayed for my enemies so I'm not out of line.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Kurieuo wrote:ACB, the last thing I want to do is upset you or anyone else here who owns a gun. :P
Think I'll take a breather. The discussion has gone a bit sideways from the original issue.
OK but I'm not offended by you. I know we don't all feel the same way on issues like this I just did not want anybody to get the wrong impression about me and based on certian comments it seemed like ya'll got the wrong impression about me.

Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Oregon College Shooting

Post by Nessa »

You said if you had an intruder that you would shoot to kill right? Too avoid being sued.

I dont consider that line of thought loving your enemy.

Maybe we are just going round in circles though
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Also can i refer you to the case of Oscar Pistorius who allegedly "shot first" what he thought was an intruder and look how that turned out.
dammit I said to myself I was not going to get involved in this discussion.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:Also can i refer you to the case of Oscar Pistorius who allegedly "shot first" what he thought was an intruder and look how that turned out.
dammit I said to myself I was not going to get involved in this discussion.
Does anyone really believe that's what happened?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

People speak for to easily about shooting someone, even to protect ourselves or others.
Killing someone is something that a person has of live with for the rest of their lives AND beyond.
Maybe that is the problem, maybe some people don't understand the true significance of taking a life, a life that was given By God.
At the same token, to allow a life given by God to be taken when a person CAN do something to stop it is, IMO, wrong also.

These are not easy questions to answer for a Christian since we have a far higher authority to answer to beyond our conscience. An authority that died rather than killed BUT also one that will come again AND judge those that are evil to perish.

Christ may have come as a lamb ( pacifist) BUT He will return as a "lion".

Of course that is HIM, not Us.

if I follow my conscience and my understanding I feel that I must NOT seek to fight, I must NOT allow myself to fight, I must NOT see violence as an option BUT I MUST not shun protecting those that can't protect themselves.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Nobody can kill somebody because they slap you or punch you...
You'd think that, but things can get pretty fuzzy in states with Stand Your Ground laws...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
if I follow my conscience and my understanding I feel that I must NOT seek to fight, I must NOT allow myself to fight, I must NOT see violence as an option BUT I MUST not shun protecting those that can't protect themselves.
And I think that's all anyone is saying, regarding owning a gun.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
And I think that's all anyone is saying, regarding owning a gun.
I have no doubt of that in regards to many people, but not all are like that unfortunately.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Kurieuo: ACB, the last thing I want to do is upset you or anyone else here who owns a gun. :P
Water pistols at dawn, K man! :lol:

Of course, we each get to choose our own weapons! :mrgreen:

Oops, K Man doesn't fight fair :