A question for atheists

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: A question for atheists

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

ken:
That's the position of any honest atheist. If God were proven to exist, you no longer believe he exist, you know he exist. But until such proof is provided, I do not believe.
Same was said in an honest response to Theism is false would you become an atheist ?
ES, page 6 this post:
IMO, the exact same thing is true for the individual. If, as an individual know that God is untrue... has Incontrovertible evidence that god doesn't exist and never has then you are neither a theist (believer in the untrue) or atheist (believer there is no God) because you don't believe anything... you know it factually, so there is no reason to align yourself with either "belief system".
So i now should come to believe you understand my reasoning ?... there's no reason to call yourself theist or atheist if God is known to not exist, as/in either an individual or societal terms.

Unnecessary, if, acknowledging there is no theism, why would there even be atheism ? There is no light if everywhere, there is darkness.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
ken:
That's the position of any honest atheist. If God were proven to exist, you no longer believe he exist, you know he exist. But until such proof is provided, I do not believe.
Same was said in an honest response to Theism is false would you become an atheist ?
ES, page 6 this post:
IMO, the exact same thing is true for the individual. If, as an individual know that God is untrue... has Incontrovertible evidence that god doesn't exist and never has then you are neither a theist (believer in the untrue) or atheist (believer there is no God) because you don't believe anything... you know it factually, so there is no reason to align yourself with either "belief system".
So i now should come to believe you understand my reasoning ?... there's no reason to call yourself theist or atheist if God is known to not exist, as/in either an individual or societal terms.

Unnecessary, if, acknowledging there is no theism, why would there even be atheism ? There is no light if everywhere, there is darkness.
Good point. As I said earlier; I don't refer to myself as Atheist, I prefer skeptic. But I live in a society where if you don't believe God exist or even if you know God doesn't exist; you will be labeled an atheist weather you like it or not.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:

Good point. As I said earlier; I don't refer to myself as Atheist, I prefer skeptic. But I live in a society where if you don't believe God exist or even if you know God doesn't exist; you will be labeled an atheist weather you like it or not.

Ken
It's not fair is it? People who believe God doesn't exist, are labeled as atheist.

People who place their faith in Jesus Christ, are labeled Christians.

People who bake cookies in a bakery, are labeled bakers.

People who fight fires, are labeled as firefighters.

So unfair!!!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
It's not fair is it? People who believe God doesn't exist, are labeled as atheist.

So unfair!!!
Nobody said anything about "unfair" the point is, if you're going to dissect the word, tear it apart, & analyze it in order to determine if the guy who knows God does or doesn't exist vs believe he does or doesn't exist, is agnostic or theist/atheist, that's fine! But realize not everybody has time for all of that. If you believe God exists, you are called theist; if you don't believe' you are called atheist. Weather that belief is backed up with knowledge or not is irrelevant to most. It's as simple as that.

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

So unfair!!!
Nobody said anything about "unfair" the point is, if you're going to dissect the word, tear it apart, & analyze it in order to determine if the guy who knows God does or doesn't exist vs believe he does or doesn't exist, is agnostic or theist/atheist, that's fine! But realize not everybody has time for all of that. If you believe God exists, you are called theist; if you don't believe' you are called atheist. Weather that belief is backed up with knowledge or not is irrelevant to most. It's as simple as that.

Ken
What does the weather have to do with anything? :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

So unfair!!!

Ken
What does the weather have to do with anything? :mrgreen:
You tell me, then we will both know.

Ken
RickD wrote