Gifts of the Holy Spirit

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Post by LittleHamster »

1 Corinthians 12:8-10
"For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues."

It seems like that some people get the gifts, then try and cash in on them. Some even make a career out of it !, i.e., the newage movement, etc..

Does anyone else see this as N.Q.R. ?
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Absolutely, there are many wolves among the sheep who are ready to destroy and eat up anyone in their path. I have been to some, let's say, interesting Churches in my time, some I ran out the door, some I stayed out of curiosity, just to see people fleeced by a charlatan, wish I had the guts to confront them but alas I am like the cowardly lion. They knew I knew though, I could see it when they looked at me, they had this sort of shameful expression, it was really weird, I just stared them down until they looked away, I wasn't putting money into their "love offering".

Matthew 10:16
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Such wolves stain and abuse the gifts so much so that their work continues and creates cold doctrine that makes God incapable of anything other selling fire insurance.

So darkness remains, life goes on, people with only the power of human intellect, folks straying from faith in Jesus, abuse, abandonment, rejection, exploitation continues all while many remain comfortably numb.

Yes, the wolves have done untold damage in turning Christians away from seeking what God freely gives.

Suggestion, never toss out the baby with the bath water
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

LittleHamster wrote:1 Corinthians 12:8-10
"For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues."

It seems like that some people get the gifts, then try and cash in on them. Some even make a career out of it !, i.e., the newage movement, etc..

These are gifts of the Holy Spirit that every christian needs to know about and seek however they also need to be used the right way and just like at the church at Corinth Paul was writing to they are abused and not used properly.Paul is trying to teach them the proper way to use the gifts because they were being abused,it is important that we not do away with gifts of the Holy Spirit but make sure they are being used properly which sadly very rarely are.

You should read the paragraph before 1st Corinthians chapter 1 starts to understand all of the problems the church of Corinth had and you'll see they were abusing these gifts,Paul is trying to get them to use them the right way.Also if you read further these gifts are divided severally as the Spirit chooses so Christians may not have some of these gifts,or might only have one or two,etc. Abrakababra is Satan's counterfeit tongues for he counterfeits everything God does including tongues,or fortune telling is counterfeit of word of wisdom and prophecy.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

LittleHamster wrote:1 Corinthians 12:8-10

It was also a reminder that not EVERYONE is suited for certain things.
Not all can be teachers or preachers for example.
I know of some that preach in ways that actually can turn people off Christ.

that whole chapter is very good:

1 Corinthians 12 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Use of Spiritual Gifts
12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware. 2 You know that when you were pagans, you were led astray to the mute idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. 6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

12 For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot says, “Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear says, “Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. 19 If they were all one member, where would the body be? 20 But now there are many members, but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; or again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary; 23 and those members of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable, 24 whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, 25 so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. 29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? 30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? 31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.

And I show you a still more excellent way.
christianwarrior
Familiar Member

Post by christianwarrior »

"Church is boring!" this is becoming an increasing problem for many people. http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/chu ... red-church

Increasingly pastors are being overworked and leaving their ministry. A 2010 New York Times article ,"Taking a Break From the Lord’s Work" began like this: "The findings have surfaced with ominous regularity over the last few years, and with little notice: Members of the clergy now suffer from obesity, hypertension and depression at rates higher than most Americans. In the last decade, their use of antidepressants has risen, while their life expectancy has fallen. Many would change jobs if they could." http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/nyreg ... .html?_r=0
http://www.christianpost.com/news/nearl ... ds-121973/

These two issues are linked together. For many people, Christianity is a spectator sport where they "go to church" for an hour and half then going home. If there are problems or tasks to be done, that is for the ministry workers and the pastors to take care of.

This great divide between "clergy" and "laity" was not present in the apolistic church. http://www.gotquestions.org/clergy-and-laity.html
http://www.plymouthbrethren.com/clergy.htm

Pastoring and being a sherpherd was one of many gifts and calling in the church.

Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift. Therefore it says,
“When He ascended on high,He led captive a host of captives, And He gave gifts to men.” (Now this expression, “He ascended,” what does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth? He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, so that He might fill all things.) And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. Ephesians 4:1-11.

The purpose of apostles (church planters), prophets, evangelists, and pastor/teacher (Bible scholars like John MacArthur suggest the original Greek conjunction implies it is a joint calling) is to equip the rest of the saints to build up the church. The apostles were to train up other apostles, prophets train up other prophets, evangelists train up other evangelists, and pastors train up other pastors.

Romans 12:3-8:

For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

All members have a gift from God. The gifts listed in Romans 12 are: the gift of prophecy, the gift of service, the gift of teaching, the gift of exhortation (encouragement/motivator), the gift of giving, the gift of leadership, and the gift of mercy.

1 Corinthians 12:1-11

Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware. You know that when you were pagans, you were led astray to the mute idols, however you were led. Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.

In the original Greek the term for "all things" is panta http://biblehub.com/greek/panta_3956.htm which properly translated in context of the passage should be "all things".
In the original Greek the term for "all persons" is pasin http://biblehub.com/greek/pasin_3956.htm which properly translated in context of the passage should be "all persons".
Both terms are different forms of the root word "pas". Romans 3:23 for all (pantes) have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
Matthew 19:26: And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things (panta) are possible.
In the original Greek the term for "each one" is hekastos http://biblehub.com/greek/1538.htm which is formed from the root word hekas which means separate and when referring individuals rather than a whole unit the word hekastos is used ,in this passage it is referring to pasin so the proper English translation is "each one."
God works all things in all persons and in each one there is a manifestation of the Spirit which produces a varieties of effects (different gifts).

1 Corinthians 12:19-21:
If they were all one member, where would the body be? But now there are many members, but one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; or again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”

1 Corinthians 12: 28-31
And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts.
And I show you a still more excellent way.

From 1 Corinthians 12 the gifts listed: Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, Faith, Gift of Healing, Gift of Miracle working, Gift of prophecy, distinguishing spirits, speaking in various tongues, interpretation of tongues, helping (serving), and administration.

Every member of the body of Christ has a set of gifts and unique callings that they can bring to the table. God has called us all, not just pastors, to build his church and his kingdom.

Pastors who are overwhelmed:
Thanks for all the effort and labor. You labor not in vain for the bride of Christ. Hopefully you are taking time to spend time with your family. http://thomrainer.com/2013/08/17/confes ... tors-wife/ Consider taking a vacation and/or delegating more of the tasks to the others. Trust that the Holy Spirit has gifted individuals who can be trained to take on various responsibilities.

People who are bored in church:
It is not just about receiving but also about giving. If the Sunday school teacher or pastor is boring because they are going over stuff you are already know then it might be time for you to seek out an opportunity for teaching or giving a sermon. If the Bible studies are too shallow then it might be time for you to be a Bible study leader and share your wisdom. Seek out opportunities to serve.

People who know what their gifts are and are active in ministry:
Keep on going and great job. Remember to seek out people in your local church who have the same giftings and train them up.

People who do not know their gifting:
Oftentimes other people will realize your gifting before you do. Ask other people who know you well. Serve in different ministries and try various ones out. You can also try out spiritual gifting surveys. http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/files/lwcF_M ... Survey.pdf (80 questions) http://www.spiritualgiftstest.com/test/adult (105 questions but worth it) Here is a listing and descriptions for each gift listed in the Bible: http://www.spiritualgiftstest.com/spiritual-gifts

People who feel that they do not have any of the gifts or feeling untalented. People who feel that their abilities and giftings are insignificant:
This group of people are the main reason why I wrote this article. Keep in mind that maybe God gave you a gift not listed in Paul's letters. Also there is a difference between natural talent and spiritual gifts. http://www.str.org/articles/the-differe ... bK0y_lViko Everyone who has the Holy Spirit has gifting because the gifts are from the God who is Love. It is based on his grace and goodness not our own merit or abilities. Focus on how God views you, not how you view yourself or how society views you. Pray that God reveals to you who you really are. Take the example of Gideon. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NASB Gideon hid in a winepress for fear of the Midianites. Gideon's family was least in the tribe of Manasseh and he was the least in his family because he was youngest. Yet the angel of God called him a mighty and valient warrior. God called him to raise an army of 32,000 then God told him to send away 22,000 of them. Then God told him to observe how the soldiers drank water and the people who lapped the water with their hands was 300. With the 300 men ,Gideon defeated the Midianites. If God could use someone who was a coward and the least in his entire tribe, he can use you for mighty things. You might believe that God gave you very little to work with. You could be right. Moses with his wooden staff rescued the Israelites from Egypt. With a mere rod, Moses sent the plagues onto the Egyptians and parted the Red Sea. God can work the supernatural with the ordinary and lowly. Maybe you only have five loaves of bread and two fishes. If he has called to a task, he will provide a way for the task to be done. If God gives you a paper clip and tells you to take on the mightiest army of the world then you have more power ,under God, with that paper clip than all the tanks and airplanes of that army. The little abilities and gifts you have, will be used by God for big things.
Last edited by christianwarrior on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I did the 105 question one, I have always been curious as to what my gifs may be, so I answered honestly, thinking it would be your standard whats your personality type thing.

My gifts were Faith, scoring 68, Mercy, scoring 66 and Pastoring at 66.

Looked them up, and, I am ridiculously pleased :)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Good for me to read your post, cwarrior
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
christianwarrior
Familiar Member

I am trying to get to all 20. But it is taking me a while to research all of them extensively. I decided not to wait and just post what I had. I will post commentary about 10 of the gifts. There are 20 spiritual gifts. This first part will cover service, then the gifts in * healing, miracles, prophecy, and tongues.
Here is the list of the twenty spiritual gifts:

http://www.spiritualgiftstest.com/spiritual-gifts

1.Administration/governing 2. Apostleship 3. Discernment 4. Evangelism 5. Exhortation 6. Faith 7. Giving 8. Healing* 9. Hospitality
10. Interpretation of tongues* 11. Knowledge 12. Leadership 13. Mercy 14. Miracles* 15. Pastoring/Shepherding 16. Prophecy*
17. Serving 18. Teaching 19. Speaking in Tongues* 20. Wisdom

Many of these gifts have overlaps. Discernment, wisdom, and knowledge. Pastoring, mercy, and leadership. Hospitality and giving, etc. God might call you to a role that you are not gifted in. The Great Commission is a universal calling for all believers whether or not they are gifted in evangelism or not.

I will be describing the gift of service then the gifts in *, followed by the rest in alphabetical order.

Service:
From the Greek word diakonia, we get the term deacon. Romans 12:7:" if service (διακονίαν/diakonian), in his serving (διακονίᾳ/diakonia); or he who teaches, in his teaching;" http://biblehub.com/interlinear/romans/12-7.htm
Acts 6 records the first establishment of deacons in the early church.

Acts 6:1-6
Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving (διακονίᾳ) of food. So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve (διακονεῖν/diakonein) tables. Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” The statement found approval with the whole congregation; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch. And these they brought before the apostles; and after praying, they laid their hands on them.

The deacons' primary was to serve food to the widows.
Stephen was the first martyr of the church. (Acts 6:8-Acts 7:60). Philip was the one who told the Ethiopian eunuch that Isaiah 53 spoke of Jesus. (Acts 8:25-8:40). Ethiopia has one of the oldest, continuous Christian communities in the world. Recently several Ethiopians choose to be beheaded by ISIS rather than renounce the Lord Jesus. They proclaimed the name of Jesus as their last words. http://www.christiantoday.com/article/2 ... /48657.htm

All Christians are called to serve. However people with the gift of service are especially willing to do mundane tasks and play a behind the scenes role. (The five other deacons are rarely talked about.) They fill in the gaps in any of the ministries. One does not need the official title of "deacon" to be gifted or called in serving.

* gifts

Healing*:
Healings done by Jesus and the apostles were done to bring people closer to God. http://www.letusreason.org/Biblexp239.htm The gift of healing should never be used for financial gains. http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/2 ... n-churches

Miracles*:
Like healings, someone with the gift of miracle gifts will use their gift to draw people to God. They emphasize that God is the one who is performing the miracle and that they are merely the instrument that God choose to perform the miracle through.
Signs and wonders can be an idol. There will be many miracle seekers who will be deceived. "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect." Matthew 24:24
"The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders," 2 Thessalonians 2:9
God has already performed the 3 greatest miracles of all: 1. Creation of the universe 2. Resurrection of the Son 3. Regeneration of the soul of all believers. These miracles far exceed anything Satan can do. Still there will be many deceived by Satanic miracles. http://www.gotquestions.org/demonic-sat ... acles.html

Prophecy*:
There are many Bible commentators who believe that prophecy in the New Testament is different than in the Old Testament. They believe that prophecy in the Old Testament had a greater emphasis on seership (knowledge of future events) while in the New Testament it merely refers to speaking God's message. "The Greek word for the gift of prophecy is propheteia which is the ability to receive a divinely inspired message and deliver it to others in the church. These messages can take the form of exhortation, correction, disclosure of secret sins, prediction of future events, comfort, inspiration, or other revelations given to equip and edify the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 14:3-4, 24-25). Again, they do not constitute the authoritative Word of God, but are the human interpretation of the revelation that was received. They are spoken in human words through a human mind which is why they must be tested against the Scriptures (1 Thessalonians 5:20-21)." http://www.spiritualgiftstest.com/spiri ... s#Prophecy
However in my mind and most Christians when they think of prophecy they picture someone receiving special revelation from God about a future event or a truth that has been previously unknown. Prophecy cannot contradict what God has previously revealed (Scriptures). "For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints." 1 Corinthians 14: 33
Prophecy is serious business.
Deuteronomy 18:20-22: "But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ And if you say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’— when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him."

Matthew 7:15-20
“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. So then, you will know them by their fruits."
I make faulty predictions all the time. I predicted that Greece would vote Yes on the Bailout referendum. However I have never claimed to be a prophet of God. If I had claimed that I received prophecy from God that Greece would have voted Yes, then God would have been justified in taking my life away. When someone claims to have a prophecy from God that is untrue, it brings discredit to God. Either God is a liar or the so-called prophet is. A prophet is a high office in the kingdom of God. Someone claiming to be a prophet should be held to a high standard. The gift of prophecy is not just receiving dreams and visions from God but also the ability to discern accurately what the revelation means. There have been many so-called modern-day prophets who claim that after their predictions are wrong that they misunderstood what God was telling them. The true gift of prophecy comes with discernment. If you are not 100% sure that the revelation is from God, then do not call it a prophecy. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... edictions/

Speaking in Tongues/Interpretation of Tongues*:
http://www.gotquestions.org/gift-of-tongues.html
The ability to speak in a language a person is not familiar with. First occurence in Acts 2.
A true manifestation of tongues will contain words that are meaningful and are not gibberish or free vocalizations. "There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of languages in the world, and no kind is without meaning. If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me." 1 Corinthians 14:10-11
Speaking in tongues should never occur publicly without interpretation. "If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God." (1 Corinthians 14:27-28 If someone is speaking in tongues without interpretation, the person should go to a private place.

With the gifts in *, there are three views on these gifts:
1. Cessationism: Those gifts ceased when the twelve Apostles died and the Bible cannon was complete. Most cessationists will acknowledge that miracles, healings, prophecy, and tongues can occur as rare miracles of God.
2. Open, but cautious: There are people who have those gifts today. However these gifts are rarer than they were in the early church.
3. Continuationalism: The * gifts continue today as they did in the early church.

One should not rashly come to a position about the * gifts. Pray for wisdom from God about those gifts. Carefully read 1 Corinthians 13 and 14. Check out the writings of each group and talk to dedicated Christians from each group.
The most famous cessationist is John MacArthur. He recently held a conference and wrote a book on "Strange Fire." http://www.gty.org/Resources/strangefire/messages
A great article on the open, but cautious position can be found here. http://www.evidenceunseen.com/theology/ ... tic-gifts/
People who subscribe to continuationalism include John Piper http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/pip ... atic-chaos and Matt Slick http://www.mslick.com/gifts.htm
christianwarrior
Familiar Member

Continuing with the list:

Administration/governing:
1 Corinthians 12:8 uses the word κυβερνήσεις (kybernēseis) which is also used for steering a ship or being a ship master. http://www.spiritualgiftstest.com/spiri ... nistration
In Luke 16, there is the parable of the shrewd but unrighteous steward, where the term οἰκονόμον (oikonomon) is used. Oikonomias is where we get the term economy from refers to household management.
http://biblehub.com/interlinear/luke/16.htm
Now He was also saying to the disciples, “There was a rich man who had a manager (οἰκονόμον) , and this manager was reported to him as squandering his possessions. And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an accounting of your management (οἰκονομίας/oikonomias), for you can no longer be manager (οἰκονομεῖν/oikonomein) .’ The manager (οἰκονόμος/oikonomos) said to himself, ‘What shall I do, since my master is taking the management away from me? I am not strong enough to dig; I am ashamed to beg. Luke 16:1-3
http://www.gotquestions.org/parable-unjust-steward.html
“He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much. Therefore if you have not been faithful in the use of unrighteous wealth, who will entrust the true riches to you? And if you have not been faithful in the use of that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.” Luke 16:10-13

We all are stewards with what God has given us.

1 Peter 4:10 As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards (οἰκονόμοι/oikonomoi) of the manifold grace of God.

A steward is a manager of someone else's property. God has given us dominion over his creation and we will all be accountable to Him about our stewardship. When Christ comes back, all believers will be given rewards and authority in the everlasting kingdom. http://www.gotquestions.org/judgment-seat-Christ.html
Someone with the gift of administration is one who is especially effective in the areas of organization and implementation of plans. Someone with this gift could potentially take part in: event planning, retreat planning committee, VBS registrar, etc.

Apostleship:
The Apostles were the leaders of the early church. They traveled to variously places to spread the Gospel and appointed elders over the churches they planted. The apostles also wrote most of the New Testament. They paid a great price for their work. http://www.christianity.com/church/chur ... 29558.html While there are no Apostles today, missionaries and church planters continue the work that the Apostles started. Someone with the gift of apostleship should look at opportunities at missionary and church planting work. They should also be willing to be take risks and pay a heavy price. Missionary to places where the Gospel is prohibited could face severe hardships.

Paul writes in
2 Corinthians 11:24-28:
Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.

Forty lashes minus one: The maximum number of lashes that someone could receive under Jewish law. The maximum was actually 40 lashes but in order to avoid accidentally exceeding that amount, the limit was set at 39. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... 06574.html
The one of the main role of a missionary or church planter should be to train the local peoples to take over the leadership of their churches.
Acts 14:23
When they (Paul and Barnabas) had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

Discernment:
1 Corinthians 12:10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/timothy- ... 7201063362

1 John 4:1-4
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

Hebrews 5:13-14
For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

Every believer should pray to the Holy Spirit for discernment. Someone with the gift of discernment are especially suited for the role of distinguishing of what is and is not of the Lord. If you are wondering if a thought or plan is of the Lord, you should seek counsel with someone with the gift of discernment. People with the gift of discernment will be able to judge character and vet people. They should be consulted for key personnel selection (selection of Sunday school teachers, pastors, etc). Potential roles: Exorcist, Pastor Search Committee Member, Vetting people for the worship team, hunter of wolf-in-sheep-clothing, ministry personnel selection, horse σκύβαλα (skybala) detection and removal, etc.

Evangelism:
Bringing of the Good News.

Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel (εὐαγγέλιον/euangelion) of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people. Matthew 4:23

And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists (εὐαγγελιστάς/euangelistas), and some as pastors and teachers, Ephesians 4:11

Every believer is called to evangelize. http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 18#p169918

Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.” Matthew 9:37-38

David Platt on those who never heard the Gospel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laA18HejfYg Romans 1-3 clearly state God is clearly shown through his creation, people know what morality is, but people refuse to worship God and reject morality. Therefore everyone is guilty. https://www.facebook.com/notes/timothy- ... 4259763362
Every believer whether they are gifted in this area or not is called to evangelize. However people with this gift have the ability to turn ordinary conversations into conversations about Jesus, the ability to interest strangers to the Gospel, communicate the Gospel in various ways, etc.
Potential roles: Godtalk in the Mall, Seedsowers, Compelled http://www.compelled.org/, Street Evangelist, Social Media Promotion, Flier passing out, designing a creative website http://www.goodpersontest.com/, training those that do not have the gift of evangelism, etc.

Exhortation:
Encouragement and correction.

Then when he arrived and witnessed the grace of God, he rejoiced and began to encourage them all with resolute heart to remain true to the Lord; for he was a good man, and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And considerable numbers were brought to the Lord. Acts 11:23-24

My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20

Every believer is called to exhortation. However someone with the gift has a sensitive spirit and can correct people gently when necessary. They also knew when to be tough.

Potential role: Motivation talk, counselor, retreat speaker, camp cabin leader, etc.