John 15:26-27

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Deborah
Christian: No

John 15:26-27

Post by Deborah »

John 15:26-27 (New International Version)

26"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. 27And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.
What is the meaning of this scripture, especially the part in bold.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

My NIV study bible has a footnote that states the following:

15:27 from the beginning. The apostles bore the definitive testimony, for they were uniquely chosen and taught by Christ and were eyewitnesses of his glory.

Bible commentaries say "from the beginning" refers to the beginning of their (the apostles) ministry, that they have been with Christ from the start and are eye witnesses rather than telling the story from hearsay.
They [the apostles] not only heard his public sermons, but had constant private converse with him. He went about doing good, and, while others saw the wonderful and merciful works that he did in their own town and country only, those that went about with him were witnesses of them all. They had likewise opportunity of observing the unspotted purity of his conversation, and could witness for him that they never saw in him, nor heard from him, any thing that had the least tincture of human frailty. Note. (1.) We have great reason to receive the record which the apostles gave of Christ, for they did not speak by hearsay, but what they had the greatest assurance of imaginable, 2 Pt. 1:16; 1 Jn. 1:1, 3. (2.) Those are best able to bear witness for Christ that have themselves been with him, by faith, hope, and love, and by living a life of communion with God in him. Ministers must first learn Christ, and then preach him. Those speak best of the things of God that speak experimentally. It is particularly a great advantage to have been acquainted with Christ from the beginning, to understand all things from the very first, Lu. 1:3. To have been with him from the beginning of our days. An early acquaintance and constant converse with the gospel of Christ will make a man like a good householder.
Matthew Henry