Did Babylon conquer Egypt as prophesied in Ezekiel 29?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
berean91
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Did Babylon conquer Egypt as prophesied in Ezekiel 29?

Post by berean91 »

Did Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon actually conquer Egypt in history? According to exekiel ch.29-32, the prophet foretells that Egypt will be captured by the Babylonians. Did it happen?
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Did Babylon conquer Egypt as prophesied in Ezekiel 29?

Post by neo-x »

Excerpt: Read full article here
all the nations prophesied for destruction would have been overcome in the course of history eventually, but that does not change the fact that Tyre was destroyed in a means which strikingly matches the prediction of Ezekiel, of the fact that Babylon, Persia and Greece were overcome in fantastically dramatic agreement with the prophecies in Daniel (see the notes and power point referred to above for references. It is not that these nations were eventually destroyed, but the way it happened. About Babylon, it is true that Nebuchadnezzar imposed a stunning and devastating defeat on Egypt at the battle of Carchemish. Although he did not occupy the entire nation of Egypt, his defeat of Egypt at Carchemish made him the major power in the Middle East, and Egypt was subject to him through tribute. Then, much later in 568 BC Nebuchadnezzar did in fact actually invade Egypt proper. A fragmentary historical document indicates that Nebuchadnezzar actually campaigned in Egypt, subjugating parts of the country during the rule of Amasis, about 568 BC. Naturally, during this campaign, Nebuchadnezzar took massive booty, as predicted by Ezekiel. Ezekiel never prephesied that Nebuchadnezzar would conquer all of Egypt. It says that he will campaign there, taking land and plunder as his reward. Ezekiel 29:19 was in fact fulfilled at that time to the letter.
As for Ezekiel 30:12, let me quote: "They [the Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar] will draw their swords against Egypt and fill the land with the slain. I will make the streams dry and sell the land into the hands of evil men. I will bring destruction on the land and everything in it by the hands of foreigners. I, the Lord, have spoken." Note that nowhere here does it say that the Nile River will run completely dry. To be honest, this prophecy is really somewhat vague (unlike many other extremely precise and specific biblical prophecies). It seems to describe a campaign in Egypt by Nebuchadnezzar–almost certainly the one which we know happened in 568 BC. At the time it is prophesied that the streams will dry up. Presumably this means that it will be a time of drought. I do not see a reason to doubt that this prophecy was fulfilled,
- See more at: http://www.evidenceforchristianity.org/ ... 16TMP.dpuf
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com