College help...

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Dallas
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

College help...

Post by Dallas »

I've asked many people this question, but never seem to get an appropriate answer.

How would you go about filling out financial aid if you're not in high school anymore.

I know about the fasfa and all, but my father usually fills his taxes out after the fasfa deadlines are in. Would he use last years tax statements?

What are the general education courses that need to be taken?

I plan to go to a community college for my basics then transfer to a school that has my major.

Any and all help would be appreciated thank you for your time.
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Icthus
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: College help...

Post by Icthus »

I don't know about the money stuff, but the general education courses that you'll need will vary from university to university. Some universities (like mine) won't accept anything from a community college either, and others will have requirements that can only be met by specific programs.

Do you know which institutions you'll be applying to? It may be important to investigate the individual requirements of each school you look at in order to find out what you'll need to do to meet their requirements. And it is always good to think ahead.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
JayTheCub
Newbie Member

Post by JayTheCub »

Go to the community college you plan on attending and talk to an adviser, they should be able to answer those question pretty easily.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

Community college ALL THE WAY. I would suggest a strong college writing course, and lots and lots of math more than anything.

Heres what I am doing.

I'm going to williston state college for a year to get 12 welding certs, as well as math until calc. probably cost around 10k altogether including room, books, equipment and living expenses, but I have job offers already from halliburton and burlington northern that pay 6 times that amount starting pay plus union, healthcare, and company housing.

After I get my certs, i plan to transfer to South Dakota School Of mines or texas A&M to major in geological engineering and work in the oil fields up here for bookoo bucks . If I absolutly hate college, i can quit and get a job in an instant, its a win win. and i almost forgot to add, certification in trades from community college count as credits to engineering colleges (like an A&M, School of mines, or Tech school.

So my big suggestion would be learn a trade while at community college along with basic courses. And whatever you do, do not major in art, sociology, and even history (even though I loovvve history with a burning passion).

I'd hate to say this, but get a degree that pays money and you like , really like, or semi-like. In this economy you need a degree in something tactical like engineering for example.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte