The Rich

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Rich

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: The issue is WHAT are YOU doing for those 6 figures.
working as a welder for halliburton in williston north dakota.
HALLIBURTON? Well, that's a completely different story. You sold your soul to the devil, for the almighty dollar. You're definitely going straight to hell! :pound:

In all seriousness, if you can glorify God while working for a company like Halliburton, you deserve sainthood on par with Mother Teresa!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Zionist
Established Member

Post by Zionist »

@murray
listen to the other guys here and don't listen to that guy that is feeding you nonsense for three hours. God does not get mad at us for working hard and getting paid well for doing so like everyone else mentioned loving money is the root of all evil not money itself. if you're working hard, making an honest living and putting God first and foremost than there is no problem Murray. don't let some fanatic feed you garbage. as FL mentioned there are many rich people in the bible so the guy supposedly preaching to you must not read the bible for himself. God is blessing you because he knows what you can handle murray so remember that God has a plan for you and knows that you can handle the riches and use it for His glory :) don't let anyone tell you otherwise brother!
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

While I certainly don't think it is bad for a Christian to have money and live a comfortable lifestyle, I would caution against just saying that "people in the Bible are rich, therefore it's ok." I mean, King Solomon might have been praised by God, but he also had indiscriminate sex and 700+ wives and 300+ concubines and ultimately turned his back on the Jewish God altogether...yeah, sounds like a great role model for a Christian. Plus I can't find any evidence that Solomon ever even existed, much less ruled any kind of empire, so that in itself is shaky ground for a role model.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Solomon - the richest man in the world, ever
For the record, I can't even find a biblical scholar that supports this, much less any archaeological evidence outside the Bible (and not even the Bible comes close to saying he was the richest ever). Where in the world do you get the idea that the leader of a city-state was the richest man ever?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Murray, wealth is not a problem of salvation. How you use your wealth is another issue entirely and that is between you and God. The issue as Paul pointed out is simple, you can not worship God and money at the same time, so whatever you make of your wealth, just let it not rule over you for that always leads to corruption. Rejoice for the good things God has given you, help those who you can and let your conscious be clear when you go to bed.

Let me tell you something, I saw a catholic priest here in my city, he has a big mansion, 4 cars, really rich guy. 30 feet away from his pearly shining gates there is a small cottage with a very poor family living there, two people died in that house with tuberculosis, one old woman died of starvation. The girl, one of the two people who died, was 26 years old at the time of her death and weighed only 40 pounds. The rich priest next door simply never cared. So much for "love your neighbor", right. That is the point which one should not fall down to.

We are not only responsible for the things we did but also for the things we didn't - those which we could have done.

And about Solomon: Ivel, the Bible mentions Solomon's wisdom and wealth in an almost superhuman way. While I have no doubt of his existence and kingship, I do not think he was the wisest and wealthiest of all time. Plus Israel under Solomon was one of the wealthiest nations of its time, but that was a period of half century and after the shining in its hay day, it all slowly went down to the point where Judah was captivated and exiled later. Solomon's wealth in the Bible is in comparison with his neighbours so treat it in that context. Some people, probably because of the simplicity of the Sunday school teachings have carried the notion of all wise and rich to heart without ever questioning it.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Ivellious wrote:While I certainly don't think it is bad for a Christian to have money and live a comfortable lifestyle, I would caution against just saying that "people in the Bible are rich, therefore it's ok." I mean, King Solomon might have been praised by God, but he also had indiscriminate sex and 700+ wives and 300+ concubines and ultimately turned his back on the Jewish God altogether...yeah, sounds like a great role model for a Christian. Plus I can't find any evidence that Solomon ever even existed, much less ruled any kind of empire, so that in itself is shaky ground for a role model.
I was once an atheist, so I understand your specious objections about Solomon's existence.

I never said that Solomon was a great role model for Christians. How did you ever manage to come to that conclusion?! :scratch: I was pointing out that wealth does not exclude one from salvation. And, I may add, in the case of Solomon's 1000+ girlfriends, sin does not exclude one from salvation.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Murray wrote:
Welder?
The foot soldier of satan !!!!!

I say that as a former ASME certified welder :lol:
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Recently I had to endure a spew of interesting thoughts on my new career path and why i'm evil and going to hell because I hate the poor and love money. In YOUR opinion does making 6 figures make me a terrible person? I've always lived by " If I love god more than my money and at all times Tithe I am not in danger". But for about 3 hours I had pounded into my head that I need to make money save it, then give it all away and then "carry my cross" and live in poverty, so I can follow jesus correctly, or else I do not love jesus and I hate the poor. So obviously I'm a little distressed right now because I've just been told I cannot go to heaven If I make too much money, and also that working for an oil company is not serving god or carrying my cross and shows that it's how I am not a true christian. So I guess my question is am a Evil person for seeking success?
Yes it is true, unless of course you send me 10% of your money, then it's ok. :pound:

Your friend sounds like a confues self-righteous nut. Jesus said it is possible with God. Read the context.
When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. (Matt. 19:26)
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I was once an atheist, so I understand your specious objections about Solomon's existence.
I should clarify, considering I chose my words badly. I don't necessarily doubt his existence, but certainly not in the way that the Bible describes him. Again, even biblical scholars seem to lean toward his story being much embellished considering archaeological evidence. Considering Egypt and Greece and Babylon and so on were far more successful and powerful in that same era, it just seems to be a stretch to say he was everything the Bible said.
Solomon's wealth in the Bible is in comparison with his neighbours so treat it in that context.
That makes more sense. Perhaps as far as his people knew he was the richest man alive, but there have clearly been far more successful/powerful/rich leaders before and after Solomon.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Ivellious wrote:I should clarify, considering I chose my words badly. I don't necessarily doubt his existence, but certainly not in the way that the Bible describes him. Again, even biblical scholars seem to lean toward his story being much embellished considering archaeological evidence. Considering Egypt and Greece and Babylon and so on were far more successful and powerful in that same era, it just seems to be a stretch to say he was everything the Bible said.
Oh...sorry. I assumed you doubted Solomon's very existence. For a moment there, I thought you were smoking something stronger than cigarettes. y@-)

As far as wealth is concerned, personal wealth isn't tied to national wealth. To wit: the richest man in the world is from a third world country, Carlos Slim.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Dallas
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Dallas »

Murray wrote: In YOUR opinion does making 6 figures make me a terrible person?
Man, that's a lot of money. I was raised as a poor child, livng off less than 20k a year. No money in the house for sure lol. In all seriousness, just because you make money doesn't mean you you're a bad person. Don't take this in a political standpoint (even though it should happen) the more you have, the more you can give. The only and I mean only thing that can make you a terrible person is if you have all of this money and you just keep it for yourself. Right? Remember this phrase "Sharing is caring." A little cliche, but it is true to the core. I pray this will help, even though it didn't :(.

Just remember and never forget "Sharing is Caring!" Even if make six figures or barely a figure. It'll work out in the end if it's for the Glory of God.
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

RickD wrote:
Murray wrote:
HALLIBURTON? Well, that's a completely different story. You sold your soul to the devil, for the almighty dollar. You're definitely going straight to hell! :pound:

In all seriousness, if you can glorify God while working for a company like Halliburton, you deserve sainthood on par with Mother Teresa!
I have nothing bad to say about Halliburton. They gave so many people jobs in this economy, saved a lot of families, helped build communities, saved families from losing their houses. If corporate greed is doing all this good, can't say i'm complaining.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I have nothing bad to say about Halliburton.
Of course you don't, Murray. One wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds, would one? y:-?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

RickD wrote:
Of course you don't, Murray. One wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds, would one? y:-?
If the hand feeding me barley fed me and mistreated me then I probably would.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:
RickD wrote:
If the hand feeding me barley fed me and mistreated me then I probably would.
Yes, I could see why you'd want to say something if you were "barley fed". Barley is good horse food , but not great people food. :beat:

-Edward R Murrow