The Rich

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The Rich

Post by Murray »

Recently I had to endure a spew of interesting thoughts on my new career path and why i'm evil and going to hell because I hate the poor and love money. In YOUR opinion does making 6 figures make me a terrible person? I've always lived by " If I love god more than my money and at all times Tithe I am not in danger". But for about 3 hours I had pounded into my head that I need to make money save it, then give it all away and then "carry my cross" and live in poverty, so I can follow jesus correctly, or else I do not love jesus and I hate the poor. So obviously I'm a little distressed right now because I've just been told I cannot go to heaven If I make too much money, and also that working for an oil company is not serving god or carrying my cross and shows that it's how I am not a true christian. So I guess my question is am a Evil person for seeking success?

I'm not going to lie I, chose the job for 4 reasons 1) I love The western states including north dakota 2) I love physical Labor 3) I like the Cold 4) The Pay
I've always wanted and felt called to make something of my self on my own and I feel like that's what I'm doing, But am I denying jesus and not carrying my cross because I am making the choice to work hard and make living rather than live in poverty?
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Rich

Post by RickD »

Murray, who told you that garbage? And, why would you listen to that for 3 hours? I would have said my piece, and stopped listening, long before 3 hours.
Before I go any further, who told you this?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

My "friend" in Crossroads ministry after I told him about my life plans. Listened for 3 hours because I kept trying to argue back but he kept yelling and saying "the bible makes it clear you cannot go to heaven if your rich, It makes that very clear!" I meeting with him , again, tonight......

Crossroads teaches this crap and have lessons to their missionaries on why having money is bad, I guess that's why their's no arguing with him, because he's believing everything he's told by his teachers.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray, why would you want to subject yourself to his rants again? Do you have a website for this "Crossroads"? I'd like to see what they say they believe. Murray, you know the old saying, "with friends like that, who needs enemies?"

I think it's time for some new friends.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess that the real faces behind this "Crossroads", keep most of the money for themselves, while telling those under them that having money is sinful.

Oh, and I just noticed your signature. Those are words of wisdom to live by. :pound:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

I've beent o a crossroads conference before, it's not all bad. They plan a lot of mission trips and things of that sort, but they're a little to idealistic for me. The are all focused on almost unachievable ideals, like 1 united church (which will never occur because of differing philosophies)

They have those stage healing sessions and things i think that are group mentality psychology is responsible for (like people collapsing to the ground because of a "spirit punch" from the holy spirit)

He, just like the crossroads ministry is very idealistic on how the world should be; He sounds like a marxist when he speaks ( money should be taken from rich because they don't deserve it an spread throughout the poor so everyone is equal). The concept of work and reward does not click with him. I almost think he's been brainwashed by his crossroads mission training program.

I am very skeptical of stage healing and holy spirit collapsing sessions, group mentality is explanation for almost all that occurs; I'm sure crossroads holy spirit sessions are very similar to that of benny hinns to be honest.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Oh and demon got drove out of an autistic child, forgot about that.......

Crossroads mission program: Http://crossroadsinternational.org/
They are a ministry too, that's just their mission branch website.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray, that's great that you are using discernment with this. I really don't think you need any advice with this. You can see for yourself that something is wrong. I think you should do what you probably already know you should do. Stay away from them. Murray, whatever job you do, do it as you are working directly for God. Which you already know.
You don't happen to have the website for their Ministry?

-Edward R Murrow

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

I do and i've already sent them a e-mail.

http://www.crossroads-ministries.net
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:I do and i've already sent them a e-mail.

http://www.crossroads-ministries.net
Nothing seems out if the ordinary there. It seems like a typical Assemblies of God type church. That's the church affiliated with the Crossroads "friend" you were talking about?

-Edward R Murrow

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

It's more their mission branch. The training more their missionaries seems pretty bizarre from the stories he's told me.

I've been to crossroads conferences, they're fine, and pretty upbeat. I think he got a bad apple trainer or something, the church itself isn't radical
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

I think God wants us to try and be as profitable as possible. Many people incorrectly quote the Bible, saying that "money is the root of all evil." In reality, the bible only warns us of LOVING money. Of course, He does call for us to glorify Him, and using money to do so is quite appreciated (supporting missions trips, churches, orphanages, charities, etc...).

More info: http://carm.org/questions/other-questio ... tians-rich
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

When one compromises His faith in the pursuit of riches, yes, he is in trouble.
No, man can't serve God and mammon both.
The issue is WHAT are YOU doing for those 6 figures.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Solomon - the richest man in the world, ever - and his son, David (no welfare case in his own right), have been honored by God by contributing to His Bible. Lydia, a rich woman, was one of the first converts to Christianity. There are many such stories in the Bible of the very rich loving God...and, something tells me that many of the Christian contributors of this Forum are well-off as well.

This is correct:
PaulSacramento wrote:When one compromises His faith in the pursuit of riches, yes, he is in trouble.
No, man can't serve God and mammon both.
The issue is WHAT are YOU doing for those 6 figures.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

PaulSacramento wrote: The issue is WHAT are YOU doing for those 6 figures.
working as a welder for halliburton in williston north dakota.
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

If you manage to make hundreds of thousands doing that and put them to good, holy use, I'm sure God would be pleased =D