fall from grace

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

fall from grace

Post by Prodigal Son »

what's this once saved always saved idea? can we/do we fall from grace? let's say you're saved and then you lose the holy spirit and everything stops for you (church, prayer, good works) and you start doing "not so christian" things. are you really not saved anymore? i thought you couldn't work towards salvation? or are you still saved; still spared? or have can we fall from grace?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: fall from grace

Post by bizzt »

Prodigal Son wrote:what's this once saved always saved idea? can we/do we fall from grace? let's say you're saved and then you lose the holy spirit and everything stops for you (church, prayer, good works) and you start doing "not so christian" things. are you really not saved anymore? i thought you couldn't work towards salvation? or are you still saved; still spared? or have can we fall from grace?
It is hard to say. Think of it this way... If you know your Friend John. You were best Buddies for 20 years or so!!! All of a sudden you leave and you don't know him any longer. If you looked at him it would be like seeing a stranger. To tell you the truth I would say it was a lie you knowing John for 20 years and be bold enough to say you did not know him in the First place. Now I just don't think that is possible so I think we can use the same analogy for God. If you knew God and fall away... DID you really know him in the First place. Like I said it is hard to say and I know people will jump all over that analogy but it is something to think about.

In Christ

Tim
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: fall from grace

Post by Felgar »

Prodigal Son wrote:what's this once saved always saved idea? can we/do we fall from grace?
Bizzt's right, it is a difficult subject. But my belief is that once you are saved, you can never be unsaved. Actually, there's a distinction between justification and salvation that plays an important role in understanding the entire concept. If you have the time, here's the place to go: One of the very first threads that got me involved in this board.

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ight=saved

It's long but I think very complete and you can see all the different viewpoints. In particular, I think Jac has it right. Once Justified, Always Justified. :)
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

I only read the first page but wow that was a really good discussion!