Elijah was incarnated in the womb of Elizabeth and call john

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

No, it was a guy who wasn't supposed to come back, he was given a name...hopefully I wasn't lied to and all, which would be odd, considering I'm somewhat reluctant to believe strange things. :?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

You weren't lied to, Marty, you were told an actual event in the Bible. It was king Saul, and he went to a medium after banishing them from Israel and asked her to bring up Samuel. Sam then did appear, said he had been watching what was happening on earth, and rebuked Saul for going to a medium and disturbing him by bringing his spirit up. Again, I'll play the slacker. I've read it for myself, (and was quite shocked by it!) and so I know for myself that it's there.

To tell the truth, despite all my references, it's still a pain in the butt to look up things. I've thought I need a topical Bible or topical concordance or something, but I got Nave's on CD-ROM and it doesn't seem to help enough either! :cry:

Anyway, Tim, I've read all about Moses and Elijah being the two witnesses, which is what you referred to, but since I haven't done the research myself I've left it kind of open. I don't know enough for myself to say that they are the two, or that the two wouldn't be "normal" people instead of divine transplants or something. Got any verses?
bizzt wrote:there is no other Biblical References to John being Elijiah!
How many references do you need? Jesus said it, and that's enough for me!
bizzt wrote: God does not reincarnate Spirits! The Spirit was already Alive Maybe it would be worthwhile doing a Study on the Attributes of John and of Elijiah. On top of that John brought the Same Revolution shall we say that John Brought to the people of Israel! Repentance maybe that is what Jesus was talking about. I don't think it was Re-incarnation because that would mean John would have the same Soul, and Spirit but not the same Body.
I understand the whole "Elijah spirit" thing you hold to! I've already told you I get that concept! I'm just not convinced based on that idea. And I do believe that God can have spirits that've already existed deposited into babies. If that wasn't what happened to Jesus I'm in big trouble! :D I believe God could do that with Elijah's spirit if He wanted to.

It would make a lot more sense if John was not Elijah, but it still seems to me that the verses we've looked at say otherwise. Actually, I'd like to be shown conclusively that God's Words says he wasn't! Joy-Buzzer, are you up to this? Convince me!
bizzt wrote:when will you learn not to trust your own logic!
I logically couldn't trust that that would logically be a good thing to do, what with my poor logic! Stupid is hopelessly stuck in Stupidville because poor Stupid is too stupid to find it's way out! It'd take a miracle! Pray for me, will 'ya? :wink:
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

kateliz wrote:You weren't lied to, Marty, you were told an actual event in the Bible. It was king Saul, and he went to a medium after banishing them from Israel and asked her to bring up Samuel. Sam then did appear, said he had been watching what was happening on earth, and rebuked Saul for going to a medium and disturbing him by bringing his spirit up. Again, I'll play the slacker. I've read it for myself, (and was quite shocked by it!) and so I know for myself that it's there.

To tell the truth, despite all my references, it's still a pain in the butt to look up things. I've thought I need a topical Bible or topical concordance or something, but I got Nave's on CD-ROM and it doesn't seem to help enough either! :cry:

Anyway, Tim, I've read all about Moses and Elijah being the two witnesses, which is what you referred to, but since I haven't done the research myself I've left it kind of open. I don't know enough for myself to say that they are the two, or that the two wouldn't be "normal" people instead of divine transplants or something. Got any verses?
bizzt wrote:there is no other Biblical References to John being Elijiah!
How many references do you need? Jesus said it, and that's enough for me!
bizzt wrote: God does not reincarnate Spirits! The Spirit was already Alive Maybe it would be worthwhile doing a Study on the Attributes of John and of Elijiah. On top of that John brought the Same Revolution shall we say that John Brought to the people of Israel! Repentance maybe that is what Jesus was talking about. I don't think it was Re-incarnation because that would mean John would have the same Soul, and Spirit but not the same Body.
I understand the whole "Elijah spirit" thing you hold to! I've already told you I get that concept! I'm just not convinced based on that idea. And I do believe that God can have spirits that've already existed deposited into babies. If that wasn't what happened to Jesus I'm in big trouble! :D I believe God could do that with Elijah's spirit if He wanted to.

It would make a lot more sense if John was not Elijah, but it still seems to me that the verses we've looked at say otherwise. Actually, I'd like to be shown conclusively that God's Words says he wasn't! Joy-Buzzer, are you up to this? Convince me!
bizzt wrote:when will you learn not to trust your own logic!
I logically couldn't trust that that would logically be a good thing to do, what with my poor logic! Stupid is hopelessly stuck in Stupidville because poor Stupid is too stupid to find it's way out! It'd take a miracle! Pray for me, will 'ya? :wink:
Hey There... I don't think I can Convince you. But Above you noted that the Spirit is in rest as per Samuel. Remember that Re-incarnation activists :wink: :lol: use this particular item to say we ARE re-incarnated. If Jesus said Elias has already come and John said he is not Elias THEN does that mean it is a Contradiction?? It looks like John knows who he is! Below a Verse for you

Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

Is this Future Tense or Past Tense? Does it mean the time when Jesus was on the Earth?

Sorry I am asking questions but I just want to have a conversation about it and we can maybe learn together!!!
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

That's probably referring to the end times, and as Christ won't be born again, but will be coming as a conqueror this time, so it's possible that Elijah will just come down in spirit, not flesh.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
JBirdAngel
Recognized Member

Post by JBirdAngel »

whats this about someone coming back from the dead without it being by God's power?... this im not comfortable with... not sure what to think or do....

kateliz as far as a way to look thing sup i use http://www.BibleGateway.com i hit keywords and typed in Saul medium and came up with versus that had those in it.

it is 1 Samuel 28 that has the story of the medium and Samuel's spirit talkign to Saul.... however i am confused on several things

why is it called Samuel if not written by him?

in it Saul asks the medium what she sees, as if he cannot see, but he then has a conversation with Samuel seemingly without the woman's aide, could he hear but not see, and she could see, or how does this work?

was Samuel truely brought there by the medium or did God send him there to tell Saul the things he said?.... or what are we to think or bleieve or do?

also this

Samuel said, "Why do you consult me, now that the LORD has turned away from you and become your enemy? 17 The LORD has done what he predicted through me. The LORD has torn the kingdom out of your hands and given it to one of your neighbors—to David. 18 Because you did not obey the LORD or carry out his fierce wrath against the Amalekites, the LORD has done this to you today. 19 The LORD will hand over both Israel and you to the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The LORD will also hand over the army of Israel to the Philistines."

this sounds like Saul , and sorry i dont really knwo the story, mostly dealing with the NT right now, but sounds like Saul is not really with God, but Samuel saying that he and his men will be with Samuel in some ways sounds like Saul is going to Heaven? or is there a place of death where people are held before heaven and hell occurs? what is heaven? as the final destination is a new heaven and new earth, not really heaven but a new earth for us to be on with God... also if spirits came back and talked to people like this in the OT why then did they not bleieve so much in ressurection or in Heaven or life after death, or am i wrong that they htought this way? my understanding was that they didnt really know about or believe in Heaven or a heaven or a life after death, such as verses talkign about how like nothing exists after death and stuff, i think maybe in Ecclesiastes....

not sure of anything else but kinda confused by this, if Samuel was sent by God why would the medium see but not Saul... i dont understand.. thank you