Does Suicide = Hell ?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Blessed
Established Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Los Angeles, Florida, Las Vegas
Contact:

Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby Blessed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:52 am

I'm sure this has already been discussed elsewhere on this website. Almost every Christian I've met including those in my own family believe Suicide is an extremely serious sin warranting hell - many seemingly equating suicide with murder.

I was hoping to find some supporting scriptures for suicide which outrightly condemn it. I've found none. The closest verses in the Bible I could find related to suicide are in the Old Testament.

1 Samual 31
2 Samual 17:23

And these scriptures do not condemn it. Everyone is also familiar with Judas committing suicide. However even here I'm not seeing where suicide is explicitly condemned in Biblical terms.

Even though I've read most chapters of the bible many times, I consider myself a novice on scripture. If I could find scripture which condemns suicide in no uncertain terms I would be open to changing my mind on this subject.

Can anyone help me? Thank you.

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby neo-x » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:06 am

The only thing that takes you to hell is not to believe in Christ, all else is trivia.

In the same way, all sin is sin, the wage of every sin is death. There is no serious sin or non-serious sin nor a big or small one.

The only thing that saves us is believing in Christ.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com

Blessed
Established Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Los Angeles, Florida, Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby Blessed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:29 pm

neo-x wrote:all sin is sin, the wage of every sin is death. There is no serious sin or non-serious sin nor a big or small one.


Thakn you for responding. Do you have any scriptural support for this?

User avatar
melanie
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:18 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby melanie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 am

Oh this is why and I mean no disrespect Blessed that I have major concerns about the establishment known as Christianity.
I am well aware of this idea that suicide VICTIMS are left burning in the fiery pits of hell and I don’t think it’s a surprise you’ve no scripture supporting the idea. What scripture does show us is the nature of God. Whilst not every question we have is answered in scripture we can look at what we know to be true about God. Our example lies in Jesus. His teachings and His lessons.
Statistically 90% of people who commit suicide are mentally ill followed by people with terminal illnesses. We are talking about the most vulnerable people in society.
So whilst there may not be scripture pertaining directly to suicide, by the very nature of God I think the answer is obvious as to whether suicide equals hell.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18624
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby RickD » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 am

melanie wrote:Oh this is why and I mean no disrespect Blessed that I have major concerns about the establishment known as Christianity.
I am well aware of this idea that suicide VICTIMS are left burning in the fiery pits of hell and I don’t think it’s a surprise you’ve no scripture supporting the idea. What scripture does show us is the nature of God. Whilst not every question we have is answered in scripture we can look at what we know to be true about God. Our example lies in Jesus. His teachings and His lessons.
Statistically 90% of people who commit suicide are mentally ill followed by people with terminal illnesses. We are talking about the most vulnerable people in society.
So whilst there may not be scripture pertaining directly to suicide, by the very nature of God I think the answer is obvious as to whether suicide equals hell.

Wow, I actually kinda agree with Mel.

I must be losing my mind. :lol:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
melanie
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:18 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby melanie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 am

It’s okay Rick, you’ll get used to it...most people do :eugeek: :mrgreen:

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18624
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby RickD » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 am

melanie wrote:It’s okay Rick, you’ll get used to it...most people do :eugeek: :mrgreen:

Get used to losing my mind?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 8045
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby B. W. » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 am

Blessed wrote:I'm sure this has already been discussed elsewhere on this website. Almost every Christian I've met including those in my own family believe Suicide is an extremely serious sin warranting hell - many seemingly equating suicide with murder.

I was hoping to find some supporting scriptures for suicide which outrightly condemn it. I've found none. The closest verses in the Bible I could find related to suicide are in the Old Testament.

1 Samual 31
2 Samual 17:23

And these scriptures do not condemn it. Everyone is also familiar with Judas committing suicide. However even here I'm not seeing where suicide is explicitly condemned in Biblical terms.

Even though I've read most chapters of the bible many times, I consider myself a novice on scripture. If I could find scripture which condemns suicide in no uncertain terms I would be open to changing my mind on this subject.

Can anyone help me? Thank you.


There is a principle contained in the second half of 2 Tim 2:26, "...a having been taken captive by him (the devil) to do his will." NKJV

That can happen in the case of a believer and suicide. The Devil comes to kill, rob and destroy as Jesus stated in John chapter Ten and someone can fall into a snare.

Not all suicide is caused by mental illness. In many cases caused by drugs/alcohol that twist thoughts to doom. Also high stress, such as loss, trauma, rejection play more of a part to take one captive to feel such loss that there is no more hope.

You will not find verses that say if one does, that's it, they are doomed forever. However, you will find verses that say that Jesus came to give life and that more abundantly. Suicide of a Christian robs families, can bring ruin into the lives it affects, and it kills the person - robbing from them, finding the life abundant in this mortal life Jesus spoke about.

It is not right commit suicide. Well meaning Christians use scare tactics to keep someone from doing the deed. If effective in saving their life - no problem. The only thing that a send folks to hell is rejecting Christ. Suicide does not do that for a believer in Christ. However, it is not an escape from pain, depression, etc and instant joy of heaven either. If we are not careful with our words, we can inspire a Christian to end it without knowing we are doing so. If anyone reading this is thinking about the deed, please stop and consider this...

Jesus gives life, that is the message. He sets captives free from their mental prisons too. There is life in this life after despair. Endure and things will get better.

Bartimaeus was blind. He had a robe for comfort and as beggars of the period he had to have had a collect basket. He heard Jesus was close by and shouted for Jesus to come and heal him.

The crowd shout back at him to basically shut up. What had they been doing all these years Bart sat along the road was to feed his enablement so he remains hopelessly blind to Jesus. He had his security blanket - a robe - to comfort his being enabled. The crowd ensured he remains hopeless.

Bartimaeus didn't listen to the crowd - he kept shouting for Jesus to heal and save him. Jesus stopped and sent a couple of disciples to fetch him to where He was on the road. They did, and told Bartimaeus the Lord has heard so come. What did blind Bartimaeus do? He left his robe - security of feeling sorry for himself/forsaken - and he must have tossed aside his collection basket of enablement and went to Jesus on the road where he was healed. After being healed, Bartimaeus did not go back to begging, nor back to get his woe is me security robe - no he followed Jesus along the road the rest of his days.

Moral of the story: some folks love self hopelessness and derive their sense of purpose from it and relish in how people enable them to never change. There comes a time when one has to hear Jesus is close by, right now, he sends his workers to them. Next step, what do you have to lose? Toss aside your security woe blanket - stop living in enablement and be healed of your blindness that can't see life will get better and so follow Jesus all out the rest of your days.

Broken lost relationship blind you to doom. Family past rejections abuse blind you to doom - why do you sit covered in your woe is me blanket letting your thoughts and other keep enabling you to remain unchanged?

Jesus is here, get up, toss all this aside, and hear Jesus say to you as he did Bartimaeus, "What do you want Me to do for you?" (Note Mark 10:51)

Bartimaeus did not say he wanted a new house, lots of money, free sex without consequences, or a host of other things.

Listen to his answer and let it be yours: "(Rabboni) Teacher, that I may receive my sight."

"Then Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well."

And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.
," Mark 10:52 NKJV

Notice he said Teacher --- Jesus will teach you how.

It is not easy task but he will and his first lessen is found on the road of Matthew 11:28,29,30

So for anyone stumbling upon this topic who is thinking about doing suicide hear what Bartimaeus did and do likewise.

I pray for you with these words:

"Heavenly Father who created all the heavens and earth, cleanse the heart of anyone thinking of ending their life by the blood of Jesus - cleanse them of all sins, woe, and despair. And send forth your resurrection power into their heart and soul to heal the wounds caused by the world, family, broken relationships, abuse, all wounds of rejection and abandonment and humiliation.

"Raise them up, in Jesus name, and grant them new life along the road as they walk with you leaving their woe security and enablements behind. Empower them to leave it behind send forth the tangible presence of your power into their souls so they will not be rob, killed, destroyed , taken captive to so these devils wills. Led them where they need to go restore life to them and find help in time of need because all evil power is broken in Jesus name amen by the power of the cross of Jesus amen
"
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
JButler
Established Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby JButler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks B.W. for that insightful reply. i wish i had that knowledge many years ago as it would have greatly helped in dealing with families and their questions/grief. Not just those people but the ones threatening or unsuccessful attempts.

We had to investigate all deaths not "medically attended" which means we (CSI) went to a lot of death scenes. Suicides I'd group into a few loose categories:
Spontaneous-- an unexpected event happens and with out much further thought the person jumps out a window or grabs a gun. A surprise relationship breakup was common. I recall at least 2 teenage boys who got in minor car accidents with dad's vehicle and shot themselves to avoid facing an angry father.

Avoiding public consequences-- these are usually middle to upper class who have been caught for immoral acts or shameful ones the decedant hopes to avoid public humiliation. Like an attorney dipping into clients estate funds or a counselor committing sex acts on disabled people. An embarassing pregnancy was another but not as frequent in my later career with abortions being easier to obtain.

Depression--- usually a long term issue that plagues a person often for years until they're convinced the world is better off without them. The last week or two before their planned death they are cheerful with family and friends who're convinced their loved one is doing well. In reality the victim has a feeling of liberation for finally deciding to end it all.

Planned--- these cover a lot of ground for causes but there's two types of planners, shock effect and thoughtful.
The Thoughtful lays out their reasons in writing or a recording, leaves instructions to help with estate issues and often leaves a message of "don't blame yourselves its not your fault."

The Shocker--- this is the one I had the biggest issues with emotionally as in angry at the victim. These people deliberately plan their act to shock someone (parents, ex spouse) by doing something like hanging in the garage so its the first thing the shock victim sees when coming home opening the garage door. Another common practice is leaving notes scattered throughout the house so family members will find them at random times in the future to cause more emotional pain.

Another is to commit suicide on a particular day like a birthday, anniversary or holiday so every year the family is reminded. Basically this group adds a twisted sense of revenge to keep refreshing that emotional shock in the survivors. There are a lot more ways that shock has been planned but its too graphic to get into, plus I don't like reliving death scenes.

The terminally ill and chronic pain sufferers seem to fit in under depression/hopelessness. No relief available or on the horizon and they can't take any more. Some cancer patients want to avoid racking up bills for the family.

PTSD is another area of mental issue in the past 20 years. Its legit but I often feel the PTSD card is played way too often. Many who claim PTSD probably had an underlying disorder or unresolved issue prior to combat. I know some Iraq/Afghan vets are on unbelievable levels of drugs which themselves can cause problems especially mixed in with other drugs (common in the VA).

Yes its a very complex topic with a lot more to consider than most folks realize. Personally, looking back on my years in investigations, the majority of suicides could be avoided if only they would've extended a hand to Jesus for His help instead of trying to solve their problems with their own solution.

Just my thoughts, rambling, incomplete and not scratching the surface.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 8045
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby B. W. » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 am

Yes, JButler, well said !!!

I know all to well what you mean all to well. There was one in Colorado back the late 1980's -family murdered and suicide by the perp - what a pile of gore and the shotgun pellets that fell out of the body bags...along with other remains...

Working in the field of criminal justice - well - we see a lot that others thankfully do not have to see or deal with.

Blessings
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9051
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby Kurieuo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 pm

RickD wrote:
melanie wrote:Oh this is why and I mean no disrespect Blessed that I have major concerns about the establishment known as Christianity.
I am well aware of this idea that suicide VICTIMS are left burning in the fiery pits of hell and I don’t think it’s a surprise you’ve no scripture supporting the idea. What scripture does show us is the nature of God. Whilst not every question we have is answered in scripture we can look at what we know to be true about God. Our example lies in Jesus. His teachings and His lessons.
Statistically 90% of people who commit suicide are mentally ill followed by people with terminal illnesses. We are talking about the most vulnerable people in society.
So whilst there may not be scripture pertaining directly to suicide, by the very nature of God I think the answer is obvious as to whether suicide equals hell.

Wow, I actually kinda agree with Mel.

I must be losing my mind. :lol:

Yes, second time I'm agreeing with her. The other time was over women's breasts. :esurprised:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
cled
Acquainted Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:41 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby cled » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:46 am

This is a subject close to my heart after loosing my brother who knew the lord at one time and walked with him . This i know , rejecting Christ after the offer has been laid before a person and rejected so that person may live a life of sin they wanted will most likely end badly . But what about after one has accepted christ , received the infillng of the new life and walked with God for a while and then falls way , I think only God knows where this person is to go . Samson committed suicide , did he go automatically to hell? I cant tell you . Neither would i want to play russian roulette to find out . What does the holy spirit that one receives while here on the earth leave that person and their once saved soul go into a cell? I would like to think how Byran meet the lord at His judgment seat whether that person is giving a pass because of the trauma they received in this life . I would hope the Lord is not that uptight about sending christians to hell because of a low spot in their life and they decided to end their lives. I will never know till i get there,the fate of troubled christians

Blessed
Established Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Los Angeles, Florida, Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby Blessed » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:33 pm

cled wrote:This is a subject close to my heart after loosing my brother who knew the lord at one time and walked with him . This i know , rejecting Christ after the offer has been laid before a person and rejected so that person may live a life of sin they wanted will most likely end badly . But what about after one has accepted christ , received the infillng of the new life and walked with God for a while and then falls way , I think only God knows where this person is to go . Samson committed suicide , did he go automatically to hell? I cant tell you . Neither would i want to play russian roulette to find out . What does the holy spirit that one receives while here on the earth leave that person and their once saved soul go into a cell? I would like to think how Byran meet the lord at His judgment seat whether that person is giving a pass because of the trauma they received in this life . I would hope the Lord is not that uptight about sending christians to hell because of a low spot in their life and they decided to end their lives. I will never know till i get there,the fate of troubled christians



First of all I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother to suicide. I heavily sympathize with suicide. I've read in the Bible one cannot be a friend of this world and a friend of God. Certianly commiting suicide is not a friend of this world. They/ cannot stand it anymore. They just want to see God and go home. I know that does not make suidide "right". However I cannot find a clear answer to counter other Christians who (from what I can see at this point), incorrectly formulate that body + temple + suicide = murder = hell. Like many things I read, it's a human interpretation with no scriptural basis. I would like to get to the bottom of it however I see no scriptural basis yet. I also tend to take an, unhealthy, Klingon (Star Trek) view to suicide and see it as honorable or couragous or brave in certain situations which I know is sick but I cannot help but wonder because to me personally it takes "guts" or "brass balls" etc. I know that is warped however I see it as a choice that should not be so heavily judged (unless your someone evil and killing yourself is a way out of consequences of course). The hardest choice anyone could ever make. Sepukko (Ancient Japanese Honor Suicide etc). It goes against every instinct etc and 99.9999999% of the "bravest" people could never do it even if they "had to" somehow. I know this is considered "sick" or "warped" to the average laymen. If I am wrong I am totally open to critisism on it. That's why I asked this question.

I also agree with everything else you said. My cousin recently overdosed on Herion. It was a huge shot of Herion and it was laced with something called Fentenol. She had the same pattern you described above. She turned to Christ and cleaned up her life but when her dad died - relapsed/reverted to cope. I wonder if she is in heaven or hell and if her getting saved in the middle was "enough" to cover her choice to relapse. I also wonder if Herion use (or any hardcore drug use) is a form of suicide.

User avatar
cled
Acquainted Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:41 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby cled » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:16 am

In bible it is written , its better to not to know,the way of righteousness than to know,it and depart from it . However I believe the apostles gave their opinions of what the Lord may or may not do to some people . Even they could not give a clear answer but suggestions. Only the Lord knows who makes it and who doesn't. There are some that look like Christians but in works deny him . As for my brother , he really loved people , he helped many free of charge. And would always lend a hand. Weather he knew,it or not he was loving his neighbor. But some people are down right the enemy of God and they get that reward. I would like to believe he is with the Lord but I don't know,for certain. We had a miserable, trauma filled childhood and dad ran it like a circus everyday, it was a hellish experience like being in one of those cells. Had we come from a brady bunch homes we would be without excuse . I can only hope the Lord takes into account of what we started out with in our 1st days of life of what we have become. In those days there was no intervention, the word Domestic violence had not been coined , but it was just an ordinary dysfunctional day for me , my mom and 3 brothers.

Blessed
Established Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Los Angeles, Florida, Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Does Suicide = Hell ?

Postby Blessed » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:42 am

cled wrote:In bible it is written , its better to not to know,the way of righteousness than to know,it and depart from it . However I believe the apostles gave their opinions of what the Lord may or may not do to some people . Even they could not give a clear answer but suggestions. Only the Lord knows who makes it and who doesn't. There are some that look like Christians but in works deny him . As for my brother , he really loved people , he helped many free of charge. And would always lend a hand. Weather he knew,it or not he was loving his neighbor. But some people are down right the enemy of God and they get that reward. I would like to believe he is with the Lord but I don't know,for certain. We had a miserable, trauma filled childhood and dad ran it like a circus everyday, it was a hellish experience like being in one of those cells. Had we come from a brady bunch homes we would be without excuse . I can only hope the Lord takes into account of what we started out with in our 1st days of life of what we have become. In those days there was no intervention, the word Domestic violence had not been coined , but it was just an ordinary dysfunctional day for me , my mom and 3 brothers.




I believe God takes all of these things into account during judgement 100%. If there is anyone reading this who can help Cled with scripture that God takes all these things into account please help. The only scripture that comes to mind is the parable of the talents. But I don't know if that applies here. I know scriptures stating God judges perfectly and rightously in all things. But I don't know what that judgement is based on. When you say that your Dad "ran it like a circus everyday" what do you mean? Mind games or something?


If God takes it into account what we started out with vs. what weve become - I'm going to hell. I identify as Christian and try to be a "good person" but I sin by gambling, watching porn, drinking, and smoking. I distrust my neighbor and do not help him because people today don't match the good people I remember growing up. Everyone seems to have an angle, fake act, ulterior reasons etc, so I don't trust people. I am also constantly lied to in my job by people trying to skirt the law with financial motives and it always feels like a poker game. I yearn to be around good people I can trust.

I come from a Brady Bunch home. Upper middle class Christian 7th Heaven Brady bunch home with perfect loving parents and perfect loving extended family. All Holiday's. Church. Lots of good people. Reunions. Big Thanksgivings. Perfect childhood. Total bliss.

If God judges me based on what I was given ........ vs. who I am now ................... I'm dead. :econfused:


Return to “The Bible and Scripture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest