God and murder

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

God and murder

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

A lot of people think God is a murderer. If God technically owns the world, why is God called a murderer? Wouldn't it be Satan since it was bc of him that death entered into the world? God only works with death to accomplish His ultimate plan.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: God and murder

Post by crochet1949 »

Because they feel that God 'murdered' lots of innocent people in the world-wide flood waters. They don't accept that the people had become exceedingly wicked all the time. God created them and He, alone, had the right to destroy people were constantly wicked and will be raising the future generation in wickedness as well. The small children who are too young to differentiate good from evil are with Christ when they die.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

crochet1949 wrote:Because they feel that God 'murdered' lots of innocent people in the world-wide flood waters. They don't accept that the people had become exceedingly wicked all the time. God created them and He, alone, had the right to destroy people were constantly wicked and will be raising the future generation in wickedness as well. The small children who are too young to differentiate good from evil are with Christ when they die.
Yes I agree. But I think it has to do with the emotional aspect more, it does make people feel squeemish when they read God ordered kids and whole societies dead. However, that's how war works, it's not pleasant but it's not pleasant bc of a unpleasant cause.
Why though, did God order animals dead?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:A lot of people think God is a murderer. If God technically owns the world, why is God called a murderer? Wouldn't it be Satan since it was bc of him that death entered into the world? God only works with death to accomplish His ultimate plan.
I don't know anyone that thinks God is a murderer.

Anyone who knows what the definition of murder is, knows God cannot be a murderer.

Who thinks God is a murderer? I'm asking seriously, because I really haven't heard anyone make a logical argument for it.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:A lot of people think God is a murderer. If God technically owns the world, why is God called a murderer? Wouldn't it be Satan since it was bc of him that death entered into the world? God only works with death to accomplish His ultimate plan.

Anyone who knows what the definition of murder is, knows God cannot be a murderer.

Who thinks God is a murderer? I'm asking seriously, because I really haven't heard anyone make a logical argument for it.
Go to a place full of unbelievers (usually the anti-theist ones) like on youtube or Quora.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
RickD wrote:

Go to a place full of unbelievers (usually the anti-theist ones) like on youtube or Quora.
So...you're telling me that people that don't believe God exists, believe this non-existing God is a murderer?

Like I said, I've never heard a logical argument for God being a murderer. And someone who tells you that God doesn't exist, while at the same time, says God is a murderer....
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote: So...you're telling me that people that don't believe God exists, believe this non-existing God is a murderer?

Like I said, I've never heard a logical argument for God being a murderer. And someone who tells you that God doesn't exist, while at the same time, says God is a murderer....
They believe he's a fictional storybook character and that this "fictional storybook" character is a murderer.
There are some misotheists who believe God is real but evil, too.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

There is another Forum I'm on -- a couple of atheists on there use that as an excuse --they refuse to accept a God who would kill innocent people just because they wouldn't obey 'some God''s rules. I've taken time to explain the in's and out's involved and it's like trying to 'reason' with a brick wall.

It's quite sad - with the one guy -- he's a devout scientist -- geneticist -- strong evolutionist. And doesn't believe - won't accept the world of the supernatural. That which can't be seen doesn't exist. Thus, no angels, demons -- God or His Word.
Nothing in the world of the miraculous. I've told him that I feel sorry for him. That didn't go over very well with him. :)

The term 'misotheist' is a new one for me.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

crochet1949 wrote:There is another Forum I'm on -- a couple of atheists on there use that as an excuse --they refuse to accept a God who would kill innocent people just because they wouldn't obey 'some God''s rules. I've taken time to explain the in's and out's involved and it's like trying to 'reason' with a brick wall.

It's quite sad - with the one guy -- he's a devout scientist -- geneticist -- strong evolutionist. And doesn't believe - won't accept the world of the supernatural. That which can't be seen doesn't exist. Thus, no angels, demons -- God or His Word.
Nothing in the world of the miraculous. I've told him that I feel sorry for him. That didn't go over very well with him. :)

The term 'misotheist' is a new one for me.
Not surprising, people have all sorts of views, but many scientists do accept the supernatural.
Misotheist means God hater.
Is that forum on this website?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
RickD wrote: So...you're telling me that people that don't believe God exists, believe this non-existing God is a murderer?

They believe he's a fictional storybook character and that this "fictional storybook" character is a murderer.
There are some misotheists who believe God is real but evil, too.
Like I said, no logical argument.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

God has been accused of Genocide ( the flood and Egypt) and promoting mass murder (Wars of Conquest and so forth).
Of course the very people that accuse God of that are also the ones that question why He doesn't interfere more, so...

People love to pick parts of the bible that appear to them to show God in a bad light, BUT when they are explained as to why God did these things then it is nothing put superstitious BS and stupid ignorant people.
In short they take a ancient text written by and to ancient people under very specific circumstances explaining specific events and they JUDGE those things via GENERALIZES 21st century SELECTIVE morals that do NOT take into account even the slightest possibility that the REASON could be valid.

This is basically creating a God of THEIR own choosing, making this god THEIR way and then going about proving that THIS version of god either doesn't exist or is horrific.
I agree.
THEIR version of god doesn't exist and IF he did, he would be horrific.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

PaulSacramento wrote: In short they take a ancient text written by and to ancient people under very specific circumstances explaining specific events and they JUDGE those things via GENERALIZES 21st century SELECTIVE morals that do NOT take into account even the slightest possibility that the REASON could be valid.
Especially weird considering how we ourselves as a society are undergoing a change in morals. Many of these critics are non Christian liberals (some are not) who accept abortion etc while a decade or so ago they very likely wouldn't. Yet, they would impose late 20/21st century morals on a text 3000 or so years old and condemn it...
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

I'd commented earlier about another Forum I've been on. There are those there who even as atheists Will discuss / argue whether or not God is a genderless being / a he or a she. A person points out that God is referred as Father which signifies maleness cause Other religions have goddess as well. So why can't God be a female. I'd asked him why it even mattered to him cause he doesn't believe in the supernatural - much less God. And his response was that it's a forum and he can argue any way he wants to. And in his mind, he's always Right.

Yes, PaulSacramento is correct.

Critics Are a strange bunch of people.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

https://www.usnews.com/news/religion/ar ... s-mattered
I was reading through this and it's a good article but it struck me that it was said God would murder for circumcision. If they knew much about Yahweh then they'd know that He couldn't commit murder, at least according to the Abrahamic faiths, since He's the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.