giants

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: giants

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

The Septuagint has the height of Goliath at four cubits and one span, or about six feet, six inches. The only Hebrew text of 1 Sam 17:4 found among the Dead Sea Scrolls also reads “four,” and the Jewish historian Josephus describes Goliath as, “a man of vast bulk, for he was of four cubits and a span in tallness.2” - See more at: http://www.biblestudymagazine.com/extra ... vLbSV.dpuf
6'4'' is still fairly big, especially if the average height of that time and place was around 5'3''-5'9'' like in many places around the world (counting both men and women).
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

JButler wrote:Michael Heiser says Goliath was approximately 6'9" and he likely got that from the Septuagint. Also he says archeology in that region shows males were 5'3" - 5'5" and women about 5' for the era.

I'm 6'4" and standing next to a 6'9" guy (usually a fit basketball player) I feel kind of small. I tend to say "Sir" more often when around bigger people.
Oh, they were that short. Well my above post is still right, someone 6'4'' would make them seem like a giant compared to the average population.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

When we visited Pompeii it was mentioned that male remains showed the average was around 5'3" +/- 2". IIRC women were 4'10" average. Lesser known than Pompeii is the nearby ruins of Herculaneum. The remains at that site were taller than Pompeii. Again plugging in the old 512k thumb drive the males were about 5'7".

Why such a difference in such a small area?
Herculaneum is at the seashore and was more affluent, so its logical to attribute bigger people to a better diet. So even 2000 years ago oceanfront property was more valuable so only rich people lived there. ;)

However it could be coincidence because of the small sample size.

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
JButler wrote:Michael Heiser says Goliath was approximately 6'9" and he likely got that from the Septuagint. Also he says archeology in that region shows males were 5'3" - 5'5" and women about 5' for the era.

I'm 6'4" and standing next to a 6'9" guy (usually a fit basketball player) I feel kind of small. I tend to say "Sir" more often when around bigger people.
Oh, they were that short. Well my above post is still right, someone 6'4'' would make them seem like a giant compared to the average population.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

JButler wrote:When we visited Pompeii it was mentioned that male remains showed the average was around 5'3" +/- 2". IIRC women were 4'10" average. Lesser known than Pompeii is the nearby ruins of Herculaneum. The remains at that site were taller than Pompeii. Again plugging in the old 512k thumb drive the males were about 5'7".

Why such a difference in such a small area?
Herculaneum is at the seashore and was more affluent, so its logical to attribute bigger people to a better diet. So even 2000 years ago oceanfront property was more valuable so only rich people lived there. ;)

However it could be coincidence because of the small sample size.
The Pygmies live in a lush rainforest with lots of food. I agree with you but other factors contribute to height.
I wonder how someone 11 foot would look like to those people u described.