Jesus's death

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Jesus's death

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

PaulSacramento wrote: introduced doctrines ( along with their own translation of the bible) to make themselves different.
What irks me is how they change their doctrine when prophecy fails and try to keep people in the dark, calling the revision "new light". Can't be honest and admit error, eh? Don't want people leaving i guess, well the saying is true, the truth hurts.
Seriously I wish they'd stop that.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

You and me both.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

I've seen claims about a T shaped cross but the apostle's accounts say the "King of the Jews" sign was above Jesus. So that would eliminate a T and reinforce the traditional shape of the cross.

There's claims of other shapes like an X, etc because the Romans got creative on ways to kill people. I'm sure that's true given their history. Rome was in operation a good 800 years and they learned crucifixion from the Persians. Between the two empires I'm certain there was variety in crucifixions.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

JButler wrote:I've seen claims about a T shaped cross but the apostle's accounts say the "King of the Jews" sign was above Jesus. So that would eliminate a T and reinforce the traditional shape of the cross.

There's claims of other shapes like an X, etc because the Romans got creative on ways to kill people. I'm sure that's true given their history. Rome was in operation a good 800 years and they learned crucifixion from the Persians. Between the two empires I'm certain there was variety in crucifixions.
The "T" shape can still be a "t" or even a "T" but with a sign placed over it.

Personally I think it was a "t" since it makes the most sense when taking all the accounts BUT even a "T" would work since the head would not be inline with the top of the T but probably UNDER the line of the hands ( since the body weight would cause the body to be lower than the hands).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexamenos_graffito

https://www.google.ca/search?q=what+did ... wCg#imgrc=_