Do any of you have the NASB Study Bible

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Do any of you have the NASB Study Bible

Post by Christian2 »

I'm looking for the NASB's commentary from the NASB Study Bible for the following verse:

Matthew 21:7New American Standard Bible (NASB)

7 and brought the donkey and the colt, and laid their coats on them; and He sat on [a]the coats.

Thanks.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Do any of you have the NASB Study Bible

Post by RickD »

Sorry. My only study bible is a NIV.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I long had an NASB study Bible - was my favorite and main Bible. Subsequently, I had an ESV for a long time - totally loved it. And then my puppy ate it - or, at least he chewed it up to a point it was unusable. True story - I was unbelievably upset - all those highlights, notes. It might have been rebound, but So, I started over with a real leather-bound ESV. It's just a fantastic bible. The translation teams footnotes have a few Calvinist influences, but not heavily so. Wayne Grudem - big part of that team, he's a Charismatic Calvinist.

The NIV reads very well - but it has some issues - primarily as it is not a word-for-word translation - which can cause problems. Some of which are noted here on Questions.org: https://www.gotquestions.org/New-Intern ... n-NIV.html
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
The NIV reads very well - but it has some issues - primarily as it is not a word-for-word translation - which can cause problems. Some of which are noted here on Questions.org: https://www.gotquestions.org/New-Intern ... n-NIV.html
My issue with my NIV study bible, was that I would read the Bible, and when I got to a tricky verse, I'd immediately go to the study notes for an explanation, instead of digging deeper into scripture itself. I just became too accustomed to reading their interpretation.

But the NIV is a very easy to read translation. That's why I got it.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

NASB was/is my preference, and turning back to a NKJV to compare against alternative word-for-word translations. NIV, I did initially like, until I saw too many theological persuasions given it tried to be a more contextual translation of passages. Yet NIV is still a very good Bible translation.

If buying a Bible, it'd normally be an NASB, although I've been recently also impressed by ESV. I haven't read passages enough in it though, for it to replace an NASB as my main preference.

Thankfully, I look up Scripture online, makes it much easier to compare different translations, and then drill down with the Blue Letter Bible to see original terms and their associated meanings. Can't imagine just sitting down with a Bible these days, because the level with which I'd normally want to dig into just wouldn't be there.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Most at my church don't bring Bibles anymore - usually, some kind of phone or small tablet.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Although I still prefer the bolder language used in the KJV especially in the NT.I think when people say the KJV is hard to read it really only applies to the OT and not the NT. But I will use other translations and compare,or if I read something in the KJV that is hard to understand I will compare to other translations.Right now though I really only have access to my KJV bible,it is my go to bible for bible reading that has highlighted verses,notes,etc in it.But I do compare with other translations sometimes.I have several different translations of the bible like the NKJV,NIV,etc but I can go online if I want to see other translations and compare and I do sometimes.From doing this I really like the NASB version except that it seems to be tainted alittle too much toward a YEC interpretation though,other than that though, I really like it.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:Sorry. My only study bible is a NIV.
Oh the Nearly Inspired Version.... y:-?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Better literal translation are the NASB, NKJV, KJV, and ESV all are good...
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

KJV FIRST edition!

Hey, I'd sell it - if I could lift it.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

NIV is alright.
I disagree with the KJV only movement.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

I'll dig around and see what I can find to help you out. In the meanwhile, how about the Mounce Reverse-Interlinear New Testament? I like the feature of clicking the Greek word and the dictionary shows up to see most renderings in the NT of that word. Very interesting and its really helped me get a better grasp of some passages.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ion=MOUNCE
Christian2 wrote:I'm looking for the NASB's commentary from the NASB Study Bible for the following verse:

7 and brought the donkey and the colt, and laid their coats on them; and He sat on [a]the coats.

Thanks.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Another reason I prefer the KJV bible is because it was translated almost 500 years ago long before science/evolution and the age of the earth was known and was such a hot-topic issue and it has an old earth creationism bias which goes to show why Christians were not always young earth creationists like they want people to believe.

These newer translations are biased toward a young earth interpretation though and so you can see the influence of YEC since about the 1970's.But they have removed and changed words and removed certian phrases that make it seem like the earth is young.Like changing the word replenish to fill for example and removing These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth,they removed the phrase''These are the generations" and so you get a young earth interpretation.

JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

I thought I had access but guess I don't. Do have an ESV study if that might help.
JButler wrote:I'll dig around and see what I can find to help you out. In the meanwhile, how about the Mounce Reverse-Interlinear New Testament? I like the feature of clicking the Greek word and the dictionary shows up to see most renderings in the NT of that word. Very interesting and its really helped me get a better grasp of some passages.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ion=MOUNCE
Christian2 wrote:I'm looking for the NASB's commentary from the NASB Study Bible for the following verse:

Thanks.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.