Ancient Hebrew Calendar

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Ged
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Ancient Hebrew Calendar

Post by Ged »

Philip wrote:Leave it to man, and particularly many Christians, to relentlessly argue over issues mostly irrelevant, as opposed to things that God is far more concerned about. And, it's usually such silly arguments that we often see Christians destroying relationships over. And which also are highly distracting to what our stated mission is: The Great Commission! Do we care more about having good relationships with our fellow believers, or would we rather wreck such relationships over trivial topics?
Philip, the reason I am posting on your board is because it is set up for the purpose of scientific and apologetic subjects. Is biblical astronomy of less importance than creation research?
Free, printable Bible studies for groups.
www.5loaves2fishes.net/free-resources
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Ged wrote:
Philip wrote:Leave it to man, and particularly many Christians, to relentlessly argue over issues mostly irrelevant, as opposed to things that God is far more concerned about. And, it's usually such silly arguments that we often see Christians destroying relationships over. And which also are highly distracting to what our stated mission is: The Great Commission! Do we care more about having good relationships with our fellow believers, or would we rather wreck such relationships over trivial topics?
Philip, the reason I am posting on your board is because it is set up for the purpose of scientific and apologetic subjects. Is biblical astronomy of less importance than creation research?
Perhaps I'm daft or blind, but I'm not sure I see a heated argument coming on. :econfused: 8) <- my blind sunnies.

Otherwise, I just see some people are interested in some things, while others don't really care that much about them.

PS. I found your paper online Mr Gedge. :)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote: Perhaps I'm daft or blind, but I'm not sure I see a heated argument coming on. :econfused: 8) <- my blind sunnies.
Maybe you are just in denial cos we all know aussies cant beat kiwis ;)
Ged
Established Member

Post by Ged »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: Perhaps I'm daft or blind, but I'm not sure I see a heated argument coming on. :econfused: 8) <- my blind sunnies.
Ive got to be careful what I say. My daughter in law is an Aussie. :kangaroosmilie:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Ged wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Ive got to be careful what I say. My daughter in law is an Aussie. :kangaroosmilie:

She must be quite a shelia to win a kiwi guy's heart ;)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Perhaps I'm daft or blind, but I'm not sure I see a heated argument coming on. :econfused: 8) <- my blind sunnies.
I don't like anyone beating animals.
Nessa wrote:
Ged wrote:Ive got to be careful what I say. My daughter in law is an Aussie. :kangaroosmilie:

Most certainly, to win a Kiwi guy's heart over from sheep. But, that's got to be an upgrade right? :P
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Perhaps I'm daft or blind, but I'm not sure I see a heated argument coming on. :econfused: 8) <- my blind sunnies.
Nessa wrote:
Ged wrote:Ive got to be careful what I say. My daughter in law is an Aussie. :kangaroosmilie:

Most certainly, to win a Kiwi guy's heart over from sheep. But, that's got to be an upgrade right? :P
Gotta love that aussie humour :lol:
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Nessa wrote:

I just feel sorry for all you Kiwi women over there, how insulted you must all feel by your men's preference. :wave:
Ged
Established Member

Post by Ged »

Nessa wrote:
baby girl due July. Ive named her already ..... Miss Australia!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Ged wrote:
Nessa wrote:
baby girl due July. Ive named her already ..... Miss Australia!
Hey, theres still time for them to come back here before she is born... Why settle when she could be Miss NZ :swow:

y:D
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Nessa wrote:

I just feel sorry for all you Kiwi women over there, how insulted you must all feel by your men's preference. :wave:
Its not true! Guys dont listen to him!
:crying:
Ged
Established Member

The Fiftieth Year

Post by Ged »

This brings us to the second synchronisation. In addition to the 'week', the Bible reveals a 49-year Sabbatic cycle starting New Year, 1st of Abib, following the previous block of forty-nine. They would have intercalated months as explained using the short cycle, until it reached the 7th month of the 49th year Then on the tenth day, a special 50th year was announced. This might seem strange but another astronomical formula is at work. The gap between the two events comes to 17718 days - a figure equalling exactly 600 lunar months. This gap never alters; it is always the same.

Now, 600 months equal 50 lunar years which explains why the Jubilee fiftieth year is superimposed over the other years. It takes 48½ solar years to equal 50 lunar years, so the 'overlaid' Jubilee is a device that equalises the solar and lunar cycles to 50 years each, after which the new cycle began afresh. Let us take another hypothetical example from modern times. If we say 1st Nisan AD 1950 was the start of a cycle and count to the 7th month of the 49th year, it comes to 1st Tishri AD 1998, and 17718 days. Here are the dates:
1st Nisan .................. to .................. 1st Tishri
(19th March) ..... = 17718 days ....... (21st September)
1950 AD .......................................... 1998 AD
This formula is very precise, and may be observed from ancient times until now. I am not suggesting that we should continue to observe the old system or festivals. I'm just noticing that the calendar formulas still work. They works just as well today as they did in biblical times!

In summary, the pre-Metonic Hebrew calendar was a 7-year cycle of alternating 86 / 87 months, crosschecked by a long cycle of 600 months after 48½ years. Its distinguishing mark was a Sabbatical 'stamp' making it unique from every other national calendar.
Ged
Established Member

Post by Ged »

That's me done :coffee: but we can discuss some more if you like.

Full paper submitted here:

Related video on Jubilee year: