Birthday's wrong

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Birthday's wrong

Post by UsagiTsukino »

https://rcg.org/articles/abcc.html

They state celebrating is wrong due to the fact the first account is pharaoh celebrating his birthday.
The first account is in Genesis. Pharaoh, the Egyptian king, celebrated his birthday by executing his chief baker (Gen. 40:1-23). God gave Joseph special understanding of a dream by Pharaoh’s butler and baker, that the baker would lose his life three days after Joseph interpreted the dream. Joseph understood that Pharaoh would use this occasion—his own birthday party—to put his baker to death. As the dream had foretold, the baker was hung at the party.

In the second account, the New Testament figure Herod the tetrarch reluctantly ordered the beheading of John the Baptist (Matt. 14:3-11). Notice verse six: “But when Herod’s birthday was kept…” During the dancing and merry-making at his birthday party, Herod got carried away and eventually made a promise that he did not want to keep. As a result, a great servant of God lost his life.

The final account is found in the book of Job. The Bible says that Job’s seven sons “went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them” (Job 1:4). These parties were obviously not centered around any kind of celebration related to God, or Job would not have worried that his children may have sinned during these celebration feasts. He was not exactly sure what was going on in their minds, but the very celebration of their birthdays triggered great concern in him (1:5). Apparently, during the birthday party of Job’s oldest son, God allowed Satan to kill all 10 of Job’s children through what appears to be a tornado (vs. 6-13, 18-19).

Further proof that these birthday celebrations displeased God is found in Job 3. Take time to read the entire chapter carefully. Job spends much time cursing every aspect of the day of his birth. The loss of all of his children, due to a birthday celebration, stunned and sobered him. His words make plain that there is nothing good about the day of a man’s birth. He openly cursed the day he was born. This will be shown to have greater meaning later in this article.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Birthday's wrong

Post by RickD »

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

What did the Apostle Paul say about celebrating special days?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Well, since the first account of someone eating was Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit, then clearly eating is wrong. And since tte first account of sibling conversation involved Cain murdering Abel, then that's clearly wrong, too. And since the first account of people putting on clothes was at attempt to hide their shame and directly tied to eating the foriddeb fruit, then getting dressed is wrong. And since the first account of talking to an animal was talking the serpent, that's wrong (no talking to you dogs or cats anymore, people!).

Some people are silly.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Jac3510 wrote:Well, since the first account of someone eating was Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit, then clearly eating is wrong. And since tte first account of sibling conversation involved Cain murdering Abel, then that's clearly wrong, too. And since the first account of people putting on clothes was at attempt to hide their shame and directly tied to eating the foriddeb fruit, then getting dressed is wrong. And since the first account of talking to an animal was talking the serpent, that's wrong (no talking to you dogs or cats anymore, people!).

Some people are silly.
You are being ridiculous.. clearly eating is ok... its just apples that are evil to eat....

No apple pie

:ssorry:
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

DOH!!

I sit corrected. :oops:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Nessa wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Well, since the first account of someone eating was Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit, then clearly eating is wrong. And since tte first account of sibling conversation involved Cain murdering Abel, then that's clearly wrong, too. And since the first account of people putting on clothes was at attempt to hide their shame and directly tied to eating the foriddeb fruit, then getting dressed is wrong. And since the first account of talking to an animal was talking the serpent, that's wrong (no talking to you dogs or cats anymore, people!).

Some people are silly.
You are being ridiculous.. clearly eating is ok... its just apples that are evil to eat....

No apple pie

Lol Nessa, but I'll go and restate what it really was about in case someone here doesn't know. The fruit was a test of obedience, to see if they'd go their own way or God's way. As we know they chose their way, and the rest is history.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Some people are silly.

No apple pie

Lol Nessa, but I'll go and restate what it really was about in case someone here doesn't know. The fruit was a test of obedience, to see if they'd go their own way or God's way. As we know they chose their way, and the rest is history.
Nice to meet you :wave:
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Nessa wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Some people are silly.

No apple pie

Nice to meet you :wave:
Hi.