The Beatitudes

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

The Beatitudes

Post by Storyteller »

I asked God to direct me to something in the bible. I have a huge leather bound KJV so I opened it at random. It fell onto the Sermon on the Mount.

Blessed are the meek.... I knew that from somewhere, I recognise them all from deep down in my soul.

I am going to study them, in depth, I think

that is what God is saying. (And it's reading the bible :) )

Thoughts?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Beatitudes

Post by DBowling »

The Sermon on the Mount (Mat 5-7) is one of my personal favorite sections of Scripture. I strongly believe that if a person 'gets' the Sermon on the Mount they have gone a long way towards understanding the heart and mind of Jesus.

A number of years ago I decided to take some time to memorize the Sermon on the Mount (with my memorizing skills, it took a number of months to memorize all three chapters). It may have taken a while, but those months were life changing for me, as those wonderful teachings of Jesus were continually running through my mind.

Now, memorizing may not be your thing, but I don't think you can go wrong immersing yourself in and meditating on not only the Beatitudes but the rest of the Sermon on the Mount as well.

Enjoy!
You are delving into a truly incredible section of Scripture! :)

In Christ
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Have read through a few times, now working on each line, googling any comments, explanations.
Something in there is resonating with me, deep down in my heart, am just letting it seep in.
Words cannot express the joy I am getting from this, and I absolutely know the HS is guiding me in myreading and understanding.

Memorising verses is hard for me so am hoping it will just kinda happen. I guess at least reading and studying the bible is a good start. Any tips on memorising it would be appreciated!
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

Storyteller wrote:Have read through a few times, now working on each line, googling any comments, explanations.
Something in there is resonating with me, deep down in my heart, am just letting it seep in.
Words cannot express the joy I am getting from this, and I absolutely know the HS is guiding me in myreading and understanding.

Memorising verses is hard for me so am hoping it will just kinda happen. I guess at least reading and studying the bible is a good start. Any tips on memorising it would be appreciated!
You ain't gonna get that from me. I marvel at the ability of others who can memorize text, especially song lyrics. I'm a HUGE classic rock fan but ask me how many songs I can sing along to (beyond the usual refrain). NONE. From a few beats I can identify songs and singer/group but try as I might, lyrics I cannot remember. And it's not like I don't try, I really do. My wife, on the other hand, she has the uncanny ability to retain lyrics from the first time she hears a song. It is uncanny how many songs she has stored in her brain, and I'm talking about all genres and ages from 40s/50s all the way to current pop, R&B and rap (well, maybe with the exception of the 80s, that decade was a blur after she met me :mrgreen: ).

All that to say don't be so hard on yourself if you can't memorize the text. Some have that gift and some other poor schleps like me simply don't.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

y>:D<
The annoyingthing is though, give me something like a phone number and I'll remember it easily. GRRRRR.

Until I can learn scriptue I shall content myself to just read.