Scale of Noah's Flood: Rich Deem

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Scale of Noah's Flood: Rich Deem

Post by Storyteller »

I may look silly posting this but I always interpreted that verse in Revelation as being about our physical, bodily self. Which always kinda got me because I'd like some memory of this. Life I mean.

I always saw it, actually do see it like that.

Just an idea.

Dare I ask for thoughts? :oops:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

Storyteller wrote:I may look silly posting this but I always interpreted that verse in Revelation as being about our physical, bodily self. Which always kinda got me because I'd like some memory of this. Life I mean.

I always saw it, actually do see it like that.

Just an idea.

Dare I ask for thoughts? :oops:
In a way you are correct...

The eternal state does involve physical bodies. Our physical bodies will be the new physical bodies that we get during the resurrection. Our resurrection bodies will be the same type of body that Jesus received when he was raised from the dead.

So yes, those who have put their faith in Jesus will receive new perfect bodies at the resurrection and will dwell forever with God in the new heaven/new earth - the eternal state.

In Christ
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

DBowling wrote:
Nicki wrote:Bump! For Jac or anyone, what do you think those verses are talking about?
I think comparing Isaiah 65:17-25 with Revelation 21:1-7 can provide some insight into what Isaiah was saying.

Isaiah 65:17-25
New Heavens and a New Earth
17 “See, I will create
new heavens and a new earth.
The former things will not be remembered,
nor will they come to mind.

18 But be glad and rejoice forever
in what I will create,
for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight
and its people a joy.
19 I will rejoice over Jerusalem
and take delight in my people;
the sound of weeping and of crying
will be heard in it no more.
20 “Never again will there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not live out his years;
the one who dies at a hundred
will be thought a mere child;
the one who fails to reach a hundred
will be considered accursed.
21 They will build houses and dwell in them;
they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 No longer will they build houses and others live in them,
or plant and others eat.
For as the days of a tree,
so will be the days of my people;
my chosen ones will long enjoy
the work of their hands.
23 They will not labor in vain,
nor will they bear children doomed to misfortune;
for they will be a people blessed by the Lord,
they and their descendants with them.
24 Before they call I will answer;
while they are still speaking I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox,
and dust will be the serpent’s food.
They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,”
says the Lord.
Revelation 21:1-7
A New Heaven and a New Earth
21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.
Revelation 21-22 describes the eternal state that has always been the final goal of God's creation. I believe Eden gave mankind and Creation a localized preview of what God's final plan for Creation and mankind looks like. Unfortunately man sinned, and God's redemption of his image bearers took precedence. That is why creation is groaning (Romans 8:19-25). Creation is waiting for God to complete the redemption of mankind so Creation can become complete and 'perfect' (not just 'good') when heaven and earth come together and God dwells forever with mankind in the new heaven/new earth.

In Christ
But how does the Revelation statement that there will be no more death fit with Isaiah saying people will just live a lot longer? Revelation seems to be talking about after the resurrection when we have glorified bodies, whereas the Isaiah verses sound more like an improved version of life on earth - animals won't eat other animals but there will still be death.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Storyteller wrote:This may be a silly question, or so blindingly obvious that I have missed it, but what evidence in the bible points to the age of the universe, and does it really matter?
No it does not matter... how old the matter is when matter first came to be y:-?

However. I think it is merely for ego sake alone that makes matters worse.

Question: according to God's timelessness clock, how long would be a matter of minutes be?

y:-?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

Nicki wrote: But how does the Revelation statement that there will be no more death fit with Isaiah saying people will just live a lot longer? Revelation seems to be talking about after the resurrection when we have glorified bodies, whereas the Isaiah verses sound more like an improved version of life on earth - animals won't eat other animals but there will still be death.
I don't see the concepts of extended life and no more death as mutually exclusive. My understanding is that John provides additional understanding to Isaiah's new heaven/new earth prophecy. I think Isaiah's prophecy demonstrates that he might not have received revelation that death would be abolished in the new heaven/new earth so his description was limited to extended life imagery.

John's description of the new heaven/new earth just comes right out and tells us that not only will lives be extended in the new heavens/new earth, but death will be abolished.

From my perspective, the use of the phrase new heaven/new earth tells me that both prophecies are discussing the same thing. I think John's description adds additional understanding to Isaiah's prophecy when he explicitly states that death will be abolished in the new heaven/new earth and that the new heaven/new earth represents the eternal state.

In Christ
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

On kindle, so quoting upside down...

A minute would not exist. Time isn't a God thing, it's a man thing.
Why do I think that's significant?
B. W. wrote:
Storyteller wrote:This may be a silly question, or so blindingly obvious that I have missed it, but what evidence in the bible points to the age of the universe, and does it really matter?
No it does not matter... how old the matter is when matter first came to be y:-?

However. I think it is merely for ego sake alone that makes matters worse.

Question: according to God's timelessness clock, how long would be a matter of minutes be?

y:-?
-
-
-
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran