Prophecies that haven't been fulfilled yet

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
winningedge101
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Prophecies that haven't been fulfilled yet

Post by winningedge101 »

Hey does anyone know of a list with prophecies from the Old and New Testament that have not been fulfilled yet? Thanks :)
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Prophecies that haven't been fulfilled yet

Post by Philip »

Winning, ALL prophecies made that involve events, actions and repercussions, outcomes tied to Jesus' return are yet to be fulfilled.

Here's a short list of powerful FULFILLED prophecies listed by Hugh Ross / reasons.org, along with their calculated probability that any one of them might be fulfilled: http://www.believers.org/hughross.htm

Winning, you are clearly seeking the truth of Christianity/of Christ. What are your major blockages to faith?
winningedge101
Acquainted Member

Post by winningedge101 »

I'm pretty much talking about prophecies where Yahweh goes on a rant about how he is going to utterly destroy people and stuff like that, sort of like the prophecies like Egypt being a desolate wasteland for 40 years and Damascus never being rebuilt. The Christian response to the failed Egyptian prophecy is that it isn't failed and I perfectly agree with that logic because it describes a scene one would expect from a nuke. The Rational Wiki is really the only source I can find for "failed" prophecies and most of it is utter bull. The only one I can see not happening is this one:

"And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: [....] And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious. And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth. The envy also of Ephraim shall depart, and the adversaries of Judah shall be cut off: Ephraim shall not envy Judah, and Judah shall not vex Ephraim. But they shall fly upon the shoulders of the Philistines toward the west; they shall spoil them of the east together: they shall lay their hand upon Edom and Moab; and the children of Ammon shall obey them. And the LORD shall utterly destroy the tongue of the Egyptian sea; and with his mighty wind shall he shake his hand over the river, and shall smite it in the seven streams, and make men go over dryshod. And there shall be an highway for the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria; like as it was to Israel in the day that he came up out of the land of Egypt."

This is from Rational Wiki, "Did Jesus gather together the entire people of Israel? Did he ally with Ephraim and conquer Edom and Moab and Ammon? Did he destroy the tongue of the Egyptian sea? Nope." It seems like he didn't fulfill this prophecy. I can't really find any other examples of a prophecy that has failed. All the others ones are for the future. I think the Messianic prophecies are amazing and the fact that we have the dead sea scrolls to validate them is really crazy. The prophecies are great but they mean nothing if Jesus never existed. I'm not a mythicists necessarily, but I don't look at them as crazies like most scholars do. So actually my only question for the faith is if Jesus ever existed to be honest. I know we have extra-biblical evidence but I'm not totally convinced because these historians might have only had their information come from Christians or the gospels.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

So actually my only question for the faith is if Jesus ever existed to be honest.
I know of NO CREDIBLE historian that doubts that Jesus Christ existed.
As a matter of fact, look at what Bart Ehrman, one of the favorites of atheists and skeptics to point out the problem with the bible, says about the historical Jesus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Did_Jesus_Exist%3F_(Ehrman

Here:

Ehrman surveys the arguments "mythicists" have made against the existence of Jesus since the idea was first mooted at the end of the 18th century. To the objection that there are no contemporary Roman records of Jesus' existence, Ehrman points out that such records exist for almost no one and there are mentions of Christ in several Roman works of history from decades later.[1][3] The author states that the authentic letters of the apostle Paul in the New Testament were written within a few years of Jesus' death and that Paul personally knew James, the brother of Jesus.[2] Although the gospel accounts of Jesus' life may be biased and unreliable in many respects, they and the sources behind them which scholars have discerned still contain some accurate historical information.[1][3] So many independent attestations of Jesus' existence, Ehrman says, are actually "astounding for an ancient figure of any kind ".[2] Ehrman dismisses the idea that the story of Jesus is an invention based on pagan myths of dying-and-rising gods, maintaining that the early Christians were influenced by Jewish ideas, not Greek or Roman ones,[1][2] and repeatedly insists that the idea that there was never such a person as Jesus is not seriously considered by historians or experts in the field at all.[1]
winningedge101
Acquainted Member

Post by winningedge101 »

I know....it's just such a big leap of faith. Do I want to spend the rest of my life believing a Jewish man was crucified and resurrected? Nothing has ever happened before like that in history....nothing. I don't know any supernatural. I've never seen miracles or a dead man rising for any matter. Am I really ready to risk my life on Jesus of Nazareth? No not really, I'm not ready yet. It's too big of a risk, especially when I've got just about every other Abrahamic religion telling me I'm going to hell If I'm wrong.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

winningedge101 wrote:Hey does anyone know of a list with prophecies from the Old and New Testament that have not been fulfilled yet? Thanks :)
Here is one particular one...

Isaiah 26:19, Daniel 12:3, John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15, 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18, Philippians 3:20,21

Another: Micah 5:5,6 and the book of Revelation in the NT concerning the man of sin... Anti Christ and also in the OT too

More:

Isaiah 21:9 in the OT and in the NT Rev 18:2, Rev 18:21

Then there is Psalms 83:1-18 as well too has not happened yet.

These are a few...

Is this what you were looking for?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

winningedge101 wrote:I know....it's just such a big leap of faith. Do I want to spend the rest of my life believing a Jewish man was crucified and resurrected? Nothing has ever happened before like that in history....nothing. I don't know any supernatural. I've never seen miracles or a dead man rising for any matter. Am I really ready to risk my life on Jesus of Nazareth? No not really, I'm not ready yet. It's too big of a risk, especially when I've got just about every other Abrahamic religion telling me I'm going to hell If I'm wrong.
Hey winning :)

I`ve been where you are, and not that long ago either.

One book that really helped me was Beyond Belief by Philip Meadows. It discusses whether belief in God and Christ really is beyond belief. I read it, and it helped me a lot.
As for the resurrection. If it was common, it would kinda lose its impact wouldn`t it?

You ask are you ready to risk your life on Christ? What risk? Surely it is more of a risk not to?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

winningedge101 wrote:I know....it's just such a big leap of faith. Do I want to spend the rest of my life believing a Jewish man was crucified and resurrected? Nothing has ever happened before like that in history....nothing. I don't know any supernatural. I've never seen miracles or a dead man rising for any matter. Am I really ready to risk my life on Jesus of Nazareth? No not really, I'm not ready yet. It's too big of a risk, especially when I've got just about every other Abrahamic religion telling me I'm going to hell If I'm wrong.
What on earth are you talking about?
What "every other Abrahamic religions" are you referring to?
There are only 3:
Christianity
Judaism
Islam

The only one that condemns people to hell if they don't believe AND submit is Islam.

Judaism, like Christianity, states that unbelievers will be judged by their actions.
Judaism doesn't even believe in "salvation" per say.

Salvation in Christianity is NOT about being saved from hell, it is about being saved from judgment.
Hell is for those that reject Christ and that doesn't mean those that don't know or aren't sure or are confused but those that DO KNOW and DO REJECT.
Those that do not believe will be resurrected to judgment, judgment of actions AND the intent behind those actions.

No Jew will tell you that believing in Christ sends you to hell since there is no "hell" per say in Judaism, not the Christian understanding of Hell.

Seems to me that you are creating a strawman argument so as to NOT believe in Christ.
You are creating a Christ and a Christianity that doesn't exist, one that is full of issues and problems and then saying that you can't follow it.
Well, that's fine, I don't think that I would want to follow THAT version of Christianity that you made up.

If you have a hard time believing that Christ lives because people just don't come back to life and are resurrected then I submit this to you:

100 years ago NO ONE would believe that man could fly to the moon, things like that simply did not happen, COULD not happen ! it would be a miracle !

Yet...

Remember, until something happens for the first time, it never has happened before.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

PaulSacramento wrote:
What on earth are you talking about?
What "every other Abrahamic religions" are you referring to?
There are only 3:
Christianity
Judaism
Islam

The only one that condemns people to hell if they don't believe AND submit is Islam.

Judaism, like Christianity, states that unbelievers will be judged by their actions.
Judaism doesn't even believe in "salvation" per say.
That just not true.
Christianity does condemn a person to hell if they do not accept Christ as their saviour. To be forgiven of their sins through Christ's blood.

I don't know what Bible you are reading...
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

No, it condemns those the REJECT Christ.
Those that do not believe will be judged by their actions.
See Matthew 25 and John 5.
24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.

28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The bible is clear that those that do not believe in Christ and the HS will be resurrected to judgment.
Our salvation is from sin, not death ( we all die) and to be saved from sin is to be saved from judgment.
To believe in Christ means we put our faith in HIM and HE has paid the price for our sins and we will not be judged BUT will be resurrected to eternal life.
Those that reject Christ will NOT be saved and will go to "hell".
Those that do not KNOW Christ will be judged for their actions.

And what actions will be deemed worthy?

Mathew 25:
The Sheep and the Goats
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Note what Jesus says:
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
And who are Jesus' brothers and sisters?
Believers.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Paul is asserting here that there are THREE types, per Scripture, that die: Those saved, those whom reject, those whom are, through no fault of their own are "ignorant." But that is unScriptural. At the judgment, there are but two kind of people: Revelation: 20:15 "Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire." One "merely" ignorant of Christ is not saved, and thus are NOT in the book of life. And, they are not sent to hell only because they are ignorant of Christ, but because they are, at the very least, aware of God's existence and His providence for them, and yet they turn even from that. Jesus is also part of God, but is a further revelation of precisely Who God is. But a person need not know of that further Revelation of Who/What God is to reject Him. IF they reject what the ALREADY know and have been made to see God is - and ALL unbelievers do this - then they are NOT saved, neither in this life or the next one.

In Romans 1, addressing the pagan that came before Christ/ignorant of Jesus: "18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by THEIR wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

People don't seem to understand that one need not know about Jesus to reject God - they can and they DO! And the result is eternal separation and punishment, albeit at different levels and per their sins. If a person, knowing only the basics about God, His existence and provision, do not respond to that to know more (and, God WILL show them more, all the way to salavation, IF they desire it), if they instead created their own religious beliefs as if choosing food on a buffet, then this is also rejecting God/Christ. You cannot reject God without also rejecting Christ, whether you realize that is the effect, or not.

IF ignorance of Jesus is overlooked by God, with only far less punishment before being allowed into Heaven, then WE CAN STOP ALL MISSIONS EFFORTS AT ONCE! And the Great Commission becomes the Great Suggestion.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

No Philip, I an not asserting anything like that.
We are NOT saved from death since we all die.
We are saved from judgment, as per Jesus' own words in John 5 that I posted above.
This is not implied, this is stated explicitly.
“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life
We have seen over and over here, just to name one place, people rejecting Christ because the Christ that THEY have been told is not Christ. The Christ that they believe in and reject is not THE Christ.
Now, there are many that do know the real Christ and reject them and, in some cases, even worse in that they blasphemy Him and in doing so, God.
Those people will die and they will go to where they CHOOSE to be, "hell".

And those that do not KNOW Christ for "no fault of their own"? they will be judged as they have judged others and by their OWN ruler will they be measured. Their acts AND intentions will be judged and if they are found wanting, they will perish to the place of their OWN creation, a place in which THEY have chosen to stay.

It is scriptural because it is PLAINLY stated and explicit in, to name only two places, the verses I quoted above.

As for the book of life:
There are a few views on this and, IMO, we need to be careful not to read into this what is not consistent with what Christ has said ( what MAY be implied), ex:
It is written:
The Judgment of the Dead
11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
Reading that one can ( and some have) concluded that all the dead will be judged and saved based on their works:
The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.
Now, we know that we are NOT saved according to our works, yes?
Paul makes this clear, indeed the very sacrifice of Christ would be pointless if we can DO something to merit salvation ( if we could why did Christ die?).

And we know that, as per the words of Christ, those that believe in Him are NOT judged but have eternal life.

We also know that, according to Matthew, there will be those that are judged based on what they have done and how they have treated the "brothers and sisters" of Christ.
Those who did good without even knowing they did, will be saved and those that did bad, even not knowing to whom they did it ( though they knew they were NOT doing good), will perish.

This is scripture because this is EXPLICITLY stated.

You don't have to agree mind you, you can interpret these as you wish, BUT please don't say that it isn't scriptural.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

It's not scriptural. :poke:
PaulS wrote:
We also know that, according to Matthew, there will be those that are judged based on what they have done and how they have treated the "brothers and sisters" of Christ.
Those who did good without even knowing they did, will be saved and those that did bad, even not knowing to whom they did it ( though they knew they were NOT doing good), will perish.
Tell me how the underlined, is not being saved by works.

Those who did good, even though they didn't trust in Christ, will be saved?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:It's not scriptural. :poke:
PaulS wrote:
Tell me how the underlined, is not being saved by works.

Those who did good, even though they didn't trust in Christ, will be saved?
No, they will not be saved FROM judgement.

Like I said before, belief in Christ does NOT save us from death since we all die.
Belief in Christ saves us from Judgment.
Those that do not believe will be resurrected to judgment and those that have done evil will be sent to "hell".
I mean, how else do you read matthew 25's parable of the sheep and goats?
It is clear that those that did good, not knowing they did good to the brothers and sisters of Christ, have been given the kingdom of God:
‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
And those that did not:
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’