Genesis 16

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Genesis 16

Post by Christian2 »

Genesis 16

And Sarai said to Abram, "Behold now, the Lord has restrained me from bearing; please come to my handmaid; perhaps I will be built up from her." And Abram hearkened to Sarai's voice.

So Sarai, Abram's wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her handmaid, at the end of ten years of Abram's dwelling in the land of Canaan, and she gave her to Abram her husband for a wife.

And he came to Hagar, and she conceived, and she saw that she was pregnant, and her mistress became unimportant in her eyes.

What does "for a wife" mean?

I always thought it is a euphemism for sexual intercourse.

Jacob also had children by his wives maidservants.

God never calls Hagar Abraham's wife.

The text does not say Abraham married Hagar.

Why wouldn't this union with Hagar be considered adultery?

Thanks.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Genesis 16

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Christian2 wrote:Genesis 16

And Sarai said to Abram, "Behold now, the Lord has restrained me from bearing; please come to my handmaid; perhaps I will be built up from her." And Abram hearkened to Sarai's voice.

So Sarai, Abram's wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her handmaid, at the end of ten years of Abram's dwelling in the land of Canaan, and she gave her to Abram her husband for a wife.

And he came to Hagar, and she conceived, and she saw that she was pregnant, and her mistress became unimportant in her eyes.

What does "for a wife" mean?

I always thought it is a euphemism for sexual intercourse.

Jacob also had children by his wives maidservants.

God never calls Hagar Abraham's wife.

The text does not say Abraham married Hagar.

Why wouldn't this union with Hagar be considered adultery?

Thanks.
Yes,it was Adultery,it was Abraham trying to speed up God's promise to him,but we should learn from it that everything happens in God's timing not ours and we should wait until it is God's timing and not ours. Like for instance say God reveals to you something he wants you to do,it could be a ministry,business,etc it does not mean it will happen when we think it will and alot of times God has to get us ready or prepare us for it but we should not get out ahead of God's timing because everything will happen in God's time. I hope this helps.We can learn from Abraham's mistakes.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.