Creating Eve from the rib of Adam

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Creating Eve from the rib of Adam

Post by Storyteller »

Okay, this has always puzzled me.

Eve was created from Adam's rib Genesis 2:21.

Why do men still have the same amount of ribs as women?

Sorry if its a daft question but it has always mystified me, what am I missing?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Creating Eve from the rib of Adam

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Okay, this has always puzzled me.

What are you missing? A few brain cells perhaps?* :lol:

Just kidding. Not really. :mrgreen:

But seriously, if God took a rib from Adam to make Eve, why would you think all men would have one less rib?

If I go to the dentist to get teeth pulled...wait, sorry. Bad example, there are no dentists in Britain.

Ok. If I go to the surgeon to get my gallbladder or a kidney removed, would that mean any child that I father would have no gallbladder, and only one kidney?

*Annette, are you sure you're not a natural blonde?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:

But seriously, if God took a rib from Adam to make Eve, why would you think all men would have one less rib?

If I go to the dentist to get teeth pulled...wait, sorry. Bad example, there are no dentists in Britain.

Ok. If I go to the surgeon to get my gallbladder or a kidney removed, would that mean any child that I father would have no gallbladder, and only one kidney?

:pound:

I blame the morphine.

See, I knew there would be a logical explanation. Can I delete this thread now I've shown myself up?

Maybe my ancestors were blonde.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

The Hebrew word translated rib literally means side, a side room (chamber). It is used in a variety of ways. The context in Genesis 2:21 is God made woman from the side of man so both walk as one side by side as that is the symbol derived form the context.

What kind of side of man is unknown. Some modern interpretation suggest it is DNA from bone marrow... or as a christian comedian once quipped woman must of came from man's brain matter so that is why men can't understand how to dress themselves in matching attire or listen.

Know one really knows. Men and women last time I took Biology all have the same number of ribs.

The symbolism of husband and wife walking side by side in unity is unique in ancient literature and expresses something of God's intent... and we fell away from that ideal...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

B. W. wrote:The Hebrew word translated rib literally means side, a side room (chamber). It is used in a variety of ways. The context in Genesis 2:21 is God made woman from the side of man so both walk as one side by side as that is the symbol derived form the context.

What kind of side of man is unknown. Some modern interpretation suggest it is DNA from bone marrow... or as a christian comedian once quipped woman must of came from man's brain matter so that is why men can't understand how to dress themselves in matching attire or listen.

Know one really knows. Men and women last time I took Biology all have the same number of ribs.

The symbolism of husband and wife walking side by side in unity is unique in ancient literature and expresses something of God's intent... and we fell away from that ideal...
-
-
-
Thanks BW x
I love how you explain things, sorry it was a daft question I suppose but hey, I didnt know :oops:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

ps will devote some time to your Bible thread soon, it looks great :)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:

I blame the morphine.

See, I knew there would be a logical explanation. Can I delete this thread now I've shown myself up?

I'm not sure if it would be fair to HappyFlappyEnabler, if I deleted this. He has to put up with everyone reading his thread where he asked if it was ok to give money to a heroin addict, if he knew they were going to buy heroin. I'd only delete the thread if I was the one asking the stupid daft question. I can't let people think I'm blonde too. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:

I blame the morphine.

I'm not sure if it would be fair to HappyFlappyEnabler, if I deleted this. He has to put up with everyone reading his thread where he asked if it was ok to give money to a heroin addict, if he knew they were going to buy heroin. I'd only delete the thread if I was the one asking the stupid daft question. I can't let people think I'm blonde too. :mrgreen:
:ghostincupboard: :troll:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Do I win the silly question thread competition? :oops:

If I do, can my prize be a silly question thread? :mrgreen:

Not a bad idea, where else can I ask?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

As BW has pointed out, the word translated as rib in English is actually "side"...side in the sense of appendage, as in American speak, "I'll have a side order of fries and super size that for me, willya".

Now, the recent issue of Biblical Archaeology Review treats this very question. The author claims that what was taken from man was his baculum. The author says that among mammals, man is the only creature without a baculum. Human males must rely on hydraulics to...uh...make things work.

Buy the magazine.

Anonymous
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:

As BW has pointed out, the word translated as rib in English is actually "side"...side in the sense of appendage, as in American speak, "I'll have a side order of fries and super size that for me, willya".

Now, the recent issue of Biblical Archaeology Review treats this very question. The author claims that what was taken from man was his baculum. The author says that among mammals, man is the only creature without a baculum. Human males must rely on hydraulics to...uh...make things work.

Buy the magazine.

Anonymous
y>:D<

Thank you.

I will.

That fact is one I will ponder on, a lot.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Is this true or not - but is the rib the only bone that will grow back?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Silvertusk wrote:Is this true or not - but is the rib the only bone that will grow back?
No. Bones heal after a trauma but do not grow back if removed.

Buy the recent issue of Biblical Archaeology Review to read the article. At the very least, check their website.

Eskimo Joe

PS: I just checked the BAR site. The issue is Volume 41, no. 5. it is the September/October 2015 issue.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:Is this true or not - but is the rib the only bone that will grow back?
No. Bones heal after a trauma but do not grow back if removed.

Buy the recent issue of Biblical Archaeology Review to read the article. At the very least, check their website.

Eskimo Joe

PS: I just checked the BAR site. The issue is Volume 41, no. 5. it is the September/October 2015 issue.
Yes I read that article...

...but will say no more
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys