Manna

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Manna

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
Storyteller wrote:stuartcr?

Who, or what, is God to you?
What are your thoughts about Christ?

For a long time I believed in God but struggled to define how. I had always believed there was "something" rather than just pure chance. I struggled with the little I knew of Scripture yet the resurrection never posed a problem. A book that really helped me grasp God was Beyond Belief by Philip Meadows.

I started praying and just talking to God, all on the off chance it might just work. I think that's how my faith developed. I used to think how can you have a personal relationship with someone/something you can't see, or hear, or touch. But you can feel it, well I did anyway.

I do think each of us finds our own way to God and our own, personal relationship with Him, and it's as real as those between two people.
God to me, basically, is the one who hears me when I do not speak aloud, the one that makes me feel, and the one that made me who I am.

I have never really had any thoughts about Christ.
Do you want a relationship, a personal relationship, with God?
If you would define a personal relationship with God, I will be able to answer that. I do not understand what a personal relationship with God entails.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
1over137 wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
1over137 wrote: Strange.

Proverbs 6:16-17 ESV
There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

God choosing for us to lie when he hates lie?

Strange.
To some, yes
Yes, because it does not make sense.
I do not try to make sense of God or what He does or doesn't do.
Why not? Do you trust God?
God is God, I am a man, I personally do not believe I can or should make sense of what God does, besides, I do not want to know.

What do you mean by trusting God? Trust God to do what?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Okay, will give it my best shot :)

A personal relationship... knowing Him, communicating with Him, having a two way thing like we do with other people, feeling and knowing His love.
Why do you believe you shouldn't make sense of what He does. He sent Christ to show us how we should be.

Trust God.... to be good, just and loving.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:Okay, will give it my best shot :)

A personal relationship... knowing Him, communicating with Him, having a two way thing like we do with other people, feeling and knowing His love.
Why do you believe you shouldn't make sense of what He does. He sent Christ to show us how we should be.

Trust God.... to be good, just and loving.
I guess I have a personal relationship with God already. Thanks for the definition.

I think God does as He will, with or without my trusting Him. To me, that is just not something I would even think of.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

So do you want to nuture that relationship?

Yes, He will do what He will BUT He also promises eternal life to those who accept Christ as their saviour. That's where the trust comes in.

How deeply have you explored this?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:So do you want to nuture that relationship?

Yes, He will do what He will BUT He also promises eternal life to those who accept Christ as their saviour. That's where the trust comes in.

Actually, I'm quite content as I am.

All I wanted to know originally, was what manna was made of. Apparently no one knows, then this thread evolved into what we have today.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

stuartcr wrote:

All I wanted to know originally, was what manna was made of. Apparently no one knows, then this thread evolved into what we have today.
Okay :)

Forgive me for being nosy and by all means tell me to mind my own business, why did you want to know?
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:
stuartcr wrote:

Okay :)

Forgive me for being nosy and by all means tell me to mind my own business, why did you want to know?
Because I was reading about it, and was hoping to get more information. I figured someone on this forum may be of help.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Not sure if this will help but wikipedia has a page on it, I would copy the link for you but cant do it on kindle.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes

Post by 1over137 »

stuartcr wrote:
1over137 wrote:
stuartcr wrote:

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

Strange.
To some, yes
To be consistent, you also should not try to think he chooses for people to lie when he hates lie.
How can you know that? You cannot. Right?
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:Not sure if this will help but wikipedia has a page on it, I would copy the link for you but cant do it on kindle.
Thanks, the article had some interesting theories.

Maybe you can help with another question. I've asked another on this thread a number of times, but never got an answer. Could you explain what is meant by a commitment to faith?
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

1over137 wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
1over137 wrote:
stuartcr wrote:

Strange.
To some, yes
To be consistent, you also should not try to think he chooses for people to lie when he hates lie.
How can you know that? You cannot. Right?
I do not know what you mean???
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

stuartcr wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Not sure if this will help but wikipedia has a page on it, I would copy the link for you but cant do it on kindle.
Thanks, the article had some interesting theories.

Maybe you can help with another question. I've asked another on this thread a number of times, but never got an answer. Could you explain what is meant by a commitment to faith?
Well, I see it as being firm in what you believe, kinda like what my siggy says... faith is a knowledge deep within the heart, beyond the reach of proof. Faith is a feeling, a conviction. If you have total faith you have to be commited to it, otherwise it's not faith.
Does that help?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I mean, if I understood you correctly, you think, it is not us who chooses to lie.
Let me ask you: why do you think that?
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

This is silly stuart. If you're insinuating me, you should go back and check posts ... the first time you asked for a definition on this is from me is when you informed me pg.10 ... "I can't make it any simpler" :D y#-o

In fact, I bet I can find 2 or 3 times you've used commitment to faith within answers of your own posts indicating you know exactly what your definition is. Why would I even suppose you were having problems with this definition ? But here, to be clear and helpful is a dictionary definition of commitment to faith ... an engagement or obligation that restricts freedom of action while having strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

and what i said initially in regards to commiting your faith and belief in that faith, on lies, is still valid. There is no faith that can withstand lies but faith thrives in the community that is truthful, faithful in belief and has that conviction of certainty.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine